The Last Word - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Word Reviews

½ September 25, 2014
As close to a perfect Ken Movie as it gets.
April 9, 2014
strange movie, not very good, but nice...
½ November 24, 2013
Love when comic actors take on darker and more serious roles. Ray Romano is terrific in this one. Predictable but engaging, and it packs a powerful emotional punch. In other words: Ray Romano made me cry.
½ June 28, 2013
So-so. Was initially interesting but drifts from a point and fizzles out. Could have been profound, but ultimately wasn't.

Good to see Winona Ryder, in a rare decent 2000s role for her (good to see Winona Ryder, full stop). Solid performance from her. Wes Bentley is a bit irritating in his role, but maybe it is because the longer the movie went on, the more I disliked his character.
May 28, 2013
Problem here? Uhh definitely not the acting; Winona Ryder and Wes Bently are very good in their roles, even Mr Romano too. The problem is the overall story and really the screenplay. The cinematography is distorted and there are too many plots to work with in too little time which makes the characters look really bad, NOT the fault of the acting. Every time I saw Ryder I was having a good time, granted I love Wino Forever. But overall this movie could have had something but it was just too complicated for this crew to do.
May 27, 2013
I loved this movie! The buildup and then the beautiful ending!!!
March 6, 2013
Misconceived from the very beginning, this film is a failed attempt at a morbid romantic comedy. Framed as an oddball romcom between two strange people, it is instead unrealistic, ridiculous and bland. Performances are bad, and the main characters have little to no actual personality. The plot is ridiculous and highly predictable. It is not even very funny. Ray Romano is perturbing as the uncharacteristic depressive, and is the only one who actually has some dry witty lines in the film. While the resolution may appear to be unconventional as a whole the story arc and character arcs are muddled and confused. A poor effort and insensitive to the subjectmatter. While some aspects ring true, like most Hollywood films it reverts to cliche to resolve complex life issues in a 90 minute drama.
February 8, 2013
A dark romantic comedy, The Last Word is a provocative film with a wry sense of humor. The story follows a writer that helps people compose their suicide notes as he falls for the sister of one of his former clients. The characters are especially well written and are given an exceptional level of depth. Wes Bentley and Winona Ryder lead the cast, and do an impressive job at handling the tone of the film. There are some storytelling issues, but despite its flaws The Last Word is a daring film and a compelling character drama.
½ January 20, 2013
This movie is depressing, Help people who want to commit suicide, don't assist them.
½ December 5, 2012
Good movie, one of those you just kick back, relax, and watch on a veg out day. : )
September 2, 2012
Interesting idea but not enough to make me want to watch more than half of it. Boring.
April 28, 2012
It was one of those films where I got bored and I wanted to watch a Winona Ryder film since she is one of my favorite actresses. A poetic mysterious and yet demented film but I liked it. Not because of Winona Ryder but how Wes Bently acted in this. Especially how Ray Romano acted in this film, never seen him like that before and it was compelling to me.
½ April 15, 2012
The premise of the movie is quirky and interesting, but the execution is down right terrible. The script is amateuristic and is undoubtedly used in film school as a how-not-to, there is no chemistry between Ryder and Bentley, and Ryder's acting is awful. The movie should have committed suicide itself when it had the chance, and asked a decent writer to write its note.
April 10, 2012
A good film with an enjoyable, if somewhat predictable, story. One part of the film didn't seem like it belonged, but outside of that, a good way to spend an hour and a half
March 23, 2012
A moving story about a man who falls in love with a girl after he helped write her brother's suicide note. Ray Romano is so off beat that you can't help but laugh.
January 25, 2012
I love movies with interesting point of views and there is nothing better than a story about a socially awkward person. I liked this one a lot.
January 14, 2012
Very good performances!
½ November 13, 2011
Preety decent film, Romano was excellent!
½ September 15, 2011
Se acuerdan del bicho de la bolsa de American Beauty? Pues sigue la continuacion de su rara vida, lo que hizo luego de salir del colegio y la U... el mismo actor y el mismo personaje lugubre que escribe la carta de despedida de quienes van a morir.

Entretenida pero lenta, quien siente que la salva es Ray Romano, que le pone el toque comico... por lo demas pppfff... recomendada para quien no tenga NADA mejor que hacer, talvez la encuentre mas entretenida que yo.
September 2, 2011
The last words....is interesting, sometimes it makes you think, is a curious film with a just great ending, at least for me it was.

Plot: A suicide note writer and a woman get involved and in love. Is interesting to see how all this characters get into a same platform of ideas, just to get a weird and still just great ending. Will Charlotte be the help Evan needs? Will Abel also help this writer get what he needs too? Many surprises, one story-telling with a lot of twists. One star for that effort made by the crew and director (loved the camera angles).

Acting: Ray Romano as always inspires with his acting as Abel (miss his show of Everybody loves Raymond). Winona Ryder as Charlotte was incredible and stunning (she is incredible in this film). Same Wes as Evan Merck. He nailed his role in all power. Stars for this incredible cast.

Music: Is just ok. It could have been better. One star for the effort made by the musicians.

To end this review, 3 stars of 5. Enjoy and HASTA LA PROXIMA AMIGOS/AS! CHAO! BLESS YOU ALL!!!