The Friends of Eddie Coyle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Friends of Eddie Coyle Reviews

August 2, 2017
Peter Yates has one of the most wonderful raw styles for this genre and this film is a refreshing addition to what can be a schlocky and generic trend to 70s crime films. I've only seen it once which isn't enough for all the plot details, but it's a harrowing and engaging piece of work and completely upside down for its time.
½ June 14, 2017
Though the picture doesn't quite establish itself as a masterpiece, it's a very, very, very good example of gritty 1970s Hollywood filmmaking.
April 24, 2017
Awesome movie about betrayal and shows how low a person can stoop to.
December 29, 2016
My second from Peter Yates I believe. "Breaking Away" was great, but a very different type of movie. This is a dialogue-rich, character-driven, slick 70's crime drama. It got that sweet music and the cool cars, but most importantly it's a very good film.

I dig the story. Eddie Coyle is a shady man with loads of shady friends, but after spending some time in jail he has got to cool down his own crime efforts. He still does some jobs and one of them makes sure he is up for severe time behind bars. One way to get out of it is to rat out on some of his friends. He still knows what they're up to, so it's not very hard to get details. He trusts a cop to fix him a good deal so he decides to snitch on some old mates.

Great acting - cool characters everywhere that we gradually get to know better. Robert Mitchum is doing very well as the lead, so is Steven Keats as Jackie Brown and Richard Jordan as the cop.

The pace is very smooth, so are the surroundings and atmosphere. Neat dialogue and funny punchlines and real talk. Great masks in that first hit, that needs a mention. It's great to see Peter Boyle from "Everybody Loves Raymond", with as little hair then as he had in the newer series. It influenced "Jackie Brown" a whole lot I have read, but I have not seen that one in a very long time so I never spotted similarities, but there probably are.

Over 40 years old, but stands as a very good film. They are not made like this anymore, sadly.

8.5 out of 10 nice days.
December 2, 2016
Peter Yates's best film, and one of the greatest heist films ever made, The Friends of Eddie Coyle is thorough dive into the heart of a robbery.
½ September 25, 2016
Low level crime flunkie Eddie Coyle gets into trouble and turns snitch in order to stay out of trouble, but the noose tightens when the criminal underworld hears about it. Featuring an excellent performance from Robert Mitchum and the gun runner (scene stealer), The Friends of Eddie Coyle is an interesting little low key crime thriller.
½ August 17, 2016
Friends of Eddie Coyle, The (1973) C-102m. ??? 1/2 D: Peter Yates. Robert Mitchum, Peter Boyle, Richard Jordan. Near-flawless, frightening depiction of criminals and police, as con makes risky deal with cops and is later hunted by gangsters. Utterly realistic film benefits from cynical, taunt attitude and truly great acting. Only problems: film's offbeat low-key narrative approach and finale.
June 30, 2016
Criminals as they should be. Dishonourable to the last.
May 29, 2016
Never has crime seemed so working-class and mundane. A great companion piece to Heat.
January 20, 2016
4/5. A dryly compelling exploration of duplicitous criminal relationships led by an engaging ensemble cast including Robert Mitchum and Peter Boyle. Classic 1970's filmmaking with director Peter Yates' adept pacing, fine cinematography, editing and an unobtrusive score. The film builds its tensions to an unpredictably bleak conclusion, foregoing sentimentality and violence glorification for a lesson in what feels like grim, albeit cynical, reality.
½ August 16, 2015
Well paced crime drama centering around gun dealers and the movement of there products. Follows multiple characters with precise acting that makes them all believable in this field of life and death. Probably director Yates best work keeps things gritty and real the entire film, the focus never switches from crime once and everyone has there eyes on the prize.
June 25, 2015
I've watched a fair share of crime dramas. This ones very realistic but also very boring.
½ June 14, 2015
One of the most important and influential crime films of all time.
½ June 3, 2015
I like my crime dramas bleak, and this movie hit the spot.
May 6, 2015
There was only one Robert Mitchum and his skill and insight as an actor are made even more valid when you realize he took a role in a largely ensemble film and made it his own. 42+ years later, Peter Yates' film manages to form a stand alone film from the great novel from which it was based. A gritty, realistic and ultimately tragic story. Criterion has done an outstanding job with the newly remastered version to blu-ray. Potent stuff.
½ May 6, 2015
Down to earth story about Eddie Coyle and his bad environment. Classic 70's style and feeling, though the story is somewhat the most realistic and natural you can find regarding life after enprisonment. Mitchum is doing a great job playing half-wise low-level felon.
April 25, 2015
Enjoyed this, slow burn kind of character drama. Though perhaps a bit too slow for me, it lost momentum. Final act didn't really have an emotional impact for me. Though I appreciate a movie that can interlace menace without scenes of explicit violence.
March 16, 2015
As gritty as 70's gangster films get. Great writing and memorable scenes.
½ January 29, 2015
One of the most underrated gangster films of the 70s, and a far better adaptation of George V. Higgins work than 2012's Killing Them Softly. The Friends of Eddie Coyle is an engaging and sublime crime picture filled with seedy characters, and smooth directing. It's a film that really understands the allure of the criminal element, with Robert Mitchum giving a great latter-day performance here as the titular character, coming across as a career criminal both ill-fated and sympathetic . An intriguing precursor to the more popular crime pictures to come from the likes of Martin Scorsese and Quentin Tarantino.