The Skeptic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Skeptic Reviews

June 8, 2012
I really wanted to like Tim Daly in this movie, but the whole thing drags along at such a slow pace that I nearly fell asleep. There's not a lot of scares, and really not even a lot of plot. This completely blends in with every other low-budget supernatural "thriller" I've ever seen.
April 29, 2012
About to watch, hope it's worth it.
½ April 28, 2012
Terrible, terrible, terrible. The movie leads you on, promising a deep plot with engaging characters, only to give you a kick in the nads with an infuriatingly confusing ending. The movie could have completely done without the psychic, the best friend, the wife and kid, and the whole thing about marital problems, Seriously, what was the point of any of those characters or the problems? They provided nothing for the actual plot, and disappeared without a trace half-way through the film. This film was promising, but ultimately a broken promise.
April 27, 2012
The Skeptic (Tennyson Bardwell, 2009)

When I started watching The Skeptic, I wasn't too sure about it. A horror film written and directed by a guy who had previously only made a comedy, with a stable of has-been eighties and nineties stars as the principal cast-the outlook wasn't too great. But as the movie went on, I found myself getting involved enough to forget my initial misgivings. It's not a great film, but it's at least a good enough one to give a watch.

Plot: Bryan Becket (Wings' Tim Daly) is an arrogant, cocky lawyer who discovers that he's inherited the big old house he was raised in. He drives out to check on it with his pal Sully (Roseanne's Tom Arnold), and after inspecting it a bit, decides to move out and live in it instead of simply selling it. This doesn't sit too well with his wife (The Collector's Andrea Roth), especially when a delicious young parapsychology student, Cassie (Colombiana's Zoe Saldana), comes around claiming the house is haunted and offering to hang around until they figure out what's going on...

Gets off to a pretty slow start. That the movie picks up when a couple of extra subplots are trimmed off abruptly is not a coincidence, and tells us the script could have done with another rewrite (Bryan's attitude would have made more sense had he been a bachelor in the first place...). It's one of those movies that reminds us why its older principals made it, however briefly, to the A list, and makes Saldana's star shine when she proves capable of holding her own in this cast. This is my favorite Tom Arnold performance in ages....

Ironically, once the script gets stripped down to its component parts (roughly the last half of the film), which involves Saldana's character, a psychiatrist (the wonderful Ed Herrmann), and a priest (the late character actor Robert Prosky; this was his final film) all trying to impose their various beliefs upon Bryan as to what's happening to him, the movie really gets good. Unfortunately, by then, it's already left something of a sour aftertaste, but if you can get past that, and you don't necessarily mind an ambiguous ending (a lot of commenters on IMDB seem to really, really hate intentionally ambiguous endings...), you might enjoy this one as much as I came to. ***
April 17, 2012
I love a good horror movie a must seee
½ February 20, 2012
Not at all what I was expecting and it left a lot of questions unanswered making the entire movie just pointless... all plots and characters were underdeveloped
bbcfloridabound
January 30, 2012
This is a pretty good film about a man who has a hidden past, separated from his wife and moves into his dead aunt's house. While living there its very apparent that its haunted and is so because of him, the house holds a secret so what is it? Film is a little creepy in spots, more of a suspense film then horror. Worth 4 Stars'
½ January 22, 2012
Good, creepy build up to an all together wasted ending. If the climax of this movie was better, the movie itself would have been pretty awesome. Alas, this one just goes down as another pointless haunted house flick.
January 21, 2012
This is why the fast forward button was invented!
January 13, 2012
I am surprised by the low reviews... I thought it was suspenseful without going over the top. I just watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it.
December 29, 2011
NICE STORY WITH GREAT ACTORS, I WISH IT WAS A LONGER MOVIE !!!
December 10, 2011
While not entirely original territory, The Skeptic is a creepy little haunted house film that plays with the ambiguity between hallucination and paranormal experience. Again, The Skeptic is nothing really new, but it manages to bring a stylish, intelligent, and creepy element to the rather cliched ghost genre.
December 8, 2011
Thought the idea of a semi-realistic psychological plot was good, it had atmosphere, I liked the characters/cast ......but, unfortunately we're spoon fed too much insight into what is really happening so we're no longer frightened by the unexpected because it isn't unexpected anymore. Instead of an earth shattering climax that shocks us we're left with Bryan proving he's a disturbed & gullible idiot after all & falling down the stairs & I guess dying just like his mother whilst he regresses emotionally & has a loving long wished for picnic with his abusive mother. Jesus, what piss weak excuse for an ending. It's like the writer took the easiest way out because he didn't know what else to do. Didn't know how to tie up the ending. Started well ended very weak.
½ November 21, 2011
This wasn't scary - not even in the "I'm going to jump because something unexpected pops up on the screen" way. Ehhh.
October 11, 2011
The title pretty much gives you an in at what you are going to see. It's an interesting film, that's not scary,but makes you think a little bit. The ideal is interesting, the presentation is not. not something I may watch again,mainly due to the way it was presented.
September 26, 2011
The story was not all that original, but Tin Daly's logical rational skeptic somehow seemed original and interesting. However, the film kind of loses it's way with too much talking and exposition and takes an annoyingly Freudian turn near the end.
August 23, 2011
Loved it. Not sure why this got pegged as a "horror" film. It isn't that violent and not gory or anything. It is more like the supernatural stuff I would like to see more of that deals with psychic phenomena without the violence.
July 3, 2011
The most slow-paced\boring horror suspense film of all time.
½ June 26, 2011
Terrible. There wasn`t nothing scary at all. Poor storyline and acting was cheap. Zoe Saldana did a decent job. Too much talking and not much action/horror elements at all. The ending was a bit surprise but it was too weird.