Uncle Nino - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Uncle Nino Reviews

May 16, 2016
Some movies slip through the cracks for a reason. An atrocious slap dash of family drama and fish-out-of-water comedy, it?s broadly ?humorous? then intensely melodramatic with little to no concern for transitioning smoothly between the two.
½ January 9, 2016
The movie is simple. But look at a different perspective, it shows a lot of reality happening in this USA. When I came to this country, I noticed that hectic life, lack of family relationships, even having dinner as a family was like archaic. The critics may not have like it, does the movie reflect their own life and they don't want to admit it?
August 23, 2015
Not horrible, but holy Christ it's corny!
November 17, 2014
A very entertaining film ..... worth the watch!!
½ March 2, 2013
Concept was wonderful, but the script was completely lame, Was it written by a child? Uncle Nino character actor great. Anne Archer was bad and the kids were lousy all the way around. But it is a nice family movie for young children
½ August 2, 2011
A family movie that reminds us whats really important in life
January 8, 2011
A surprising gem, slow start, but an over all well done character comedy/drama. Yes this type of movie has been done before and is predictable. However the pure charm of the elder Italian Uncle is what makes the film. One of the few family movies that I will have no trouble watching on my own.
January 5, 2011
Okay, maybe this movie is not up-to-date or "entertaining" like other fast movies. But, it was very cute and very good. It was definatly a low-budget movie but they had a wonderful script. A tear jerker :)

Uncle Nino is about a small-town old man from Italy that barely knows any English. He's carrying around this guilt inside because he didn't go to his brother's marriage or funeral because he was in jail for stealing something. So, he goes to visit his brother's son and his family to hopefully make him feel better. They're the normal American family, disfunctional and everyone is leading their own lives, without even sitting down to eat dinner together. As the story goes on, Uncle Nino brings everyone together with his love for dogs and music, doing gardening, and understanding nature. At the end, Uncle Nino teaches them what the true secret of life is - relationships.
½ December 8, 2010
sappy, but kind of cute.
½ October 18, 2010
A marvelous and memorable film about discovering what's really important in the daily lives of an American middle class family torn apart by schedules and worries.

Dysfunctional family at first, Uncle Nino (Joseph Mantegna) comes to his American family from Italy to at first just visit but unintentionally straightens things out not by lecturing, but by example and old world habits.

Totally disregarded by the professional critics as corny, predictable. While it may be all of that, it doesn't make much of a difference to those not caring for professional tastes.

Joe Mantegna does a magnificient portrayal of the Italian long lost uncle who came to dinner, so to speak.

Worth watching once or even more, Uncle Nino is a force to be reckoned with in todays rat race society.

**********************************

Starring: Joe Mantegna, Anne Archer, Pierrino Mascarino, Trevor Morgan, Gina Mantegna, Duke Doyle, Daniel Adebayo, Chelcie Ross, Gary Houston, Mindy Bell, Ned Schmidtke, Shanesia Davis-Williams

Director: Robert Shallcross
October 14, 2010
Awe...what a nice, charming, cute, entertaining family movie! I really enjoyed the music at the end with Uncle Nino playing with the boys. Good job!
August 22, 2010
Fairly mediocre movie but the finale was good.
July 29, 2010
It was corny and predictable, but who cares. THis film was entertaining and enchatning. It has a great heart and I really enjoyed it.
½ May 11, 2010
a little rough on the acting, but great story and good ending
January 6, 2010
i dont think i saw the ending though
½ June 26, 2009
Great family movie, rough start, but elder italian uncle saves . . . well . . . you can guess the rest . . . some kleenex scenes (the good kind)
½ June 7, 2009
I was disappointed in this film. I remember when it was in the theater, everyone who saw it said how great it was. So I was thrilled when I finally saw it was released on DVD. What I found was a rather pedestrian tale told time and time again, a stranger enters the lives of a family in turmoil and his simple ways/magic charms/wild life ( insert character type here) eventually wins the family over, they bond and everything turns out peachy in the end. This film was followed that storyline and didn't really provide anything new or interesting, just the usual unusual behavior of the visitor and how people around him react to it. Most of those unusual behaviors I could not even see being tolerated in Uncle Nino's homeland.

The movie is not bad, it just isn't special.
½ May 31, 2009
All the characters change, which is always a mark of a good movie. DVD
January 21, 2009
This was an awesome feel good movie helping bridge the gap between generations while showing what really matters in life. We need more movies like this!
July 7, 2007
This was on my top 10 list for 2005 (I don't know why it took 2 years to get into the theatres).

Eccentric italian grandfather saves a dysfunctional family but straightening out their priorities.