What Goes Up - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

What Goes Up Reviews

April 12, 2013
What a load of crap! I thought I would've stumbled upon greatness as I did with indie gem "Wendy and Lucy", boy was I wrong. Disappointing performances from notable stars such as Steve Coogan, Hilary Duff and Josh Peck this Dramedy if you can even call it that failed in ever sense of the word. Set in 1986 with some characters not even looking the part, the story had potential at first but fell on its face hard with nonsensical subplots and overly dramatic characters. I would challenge my movie watching friends too watch so we can pick it apart but everyone else, Avoid avoid avoid at all cost.
March 27, 2013
THIS IS MY FAVORITE MOVIE
December 29, 2012
I found this movie quite interesting. The troubled teens gave good performances, and all in all they portrayed well the major difficulties that often turn teens into really bad things. The fact that they were deeply drawn into a former teacher's confidence and love for them was a major pivot point in the movie. One can see that we adults can have good impacts on troubled youths. Steve Coogan was excellent as the newspaper reporter who came into these youth's lives during an enormously traumatic time for them, the loss of their beloved mentor. Coogan was great, his manner and expressions were right on. The end of the movie had to be predictable in a sense, as the two leading characters seemed to be falling in love with each other, yet their age difference had to be a major factor in their breakup.
January 29, 2012
Har sett men gav inget bestående minne.
January 28, 2012
This movie tries to be one of those cute, quirky, indie movies that everyone claims. to love. It has all the cliches, but is mostly just filled with annoying characters. You do get to see a scantily clad Hilary Duff, but not enough to make up for the rest of the movie. It also has Molly Shannon, one of the least talented actress there is. Skip it.
January 4, 2012
"What Goes Up" tries really hard to find its point, sometimes a little too hard. That's not to say that there isn't any substance here--there was definitely something--but the film never digs deeper.

Steve Coogan gives a good performance as the lead character (never heard of him before), and Hilary Duff does okay as Lucy albeit a few awkwardly uttered F bombs. Josh Peck is just creepy, and Olivia Thirlby just looks sullen or screams her head off.

"What Goes Up" feels really somber and melancholy, but we never see into the drama. That's the problem. There's no real character development and not much story telling going on. It just skims the murky surface of an implied very deep pool of mystery. Which this film should have unraveled, but alas, it failed. Not recommended.
½ October 21, 2011
I like movies that make you think. And although it was an indie film, the movie did manage to portray an effective message and an impacting plot.
September 24, 2011
Slow and very predictable. Disappointing.
February 18, 2011

January 16, 2011
A sneering, mostly humorless downer. It expresses a valiant and legitimate attempt to cross blubbery melodrama with dry ethics, but it's a completely awful combination here.
½ October 23, 2010
This movie really sucked! I want my 2 hours of time back.
½ September 29, 2010
Pretty boring. Tries to be quirky but ends up being lame and pretentious.

The presence of Hillary Duff in the cast should tell you this movie can only go badly.
August 30, 2010
Probably the worst Hilary Duff movie
½ August 5, 2010
I watched almost 20 minutes, but I was so bored that I couldn't take more of it.
August 4, 2010
Having lived through the Challenger hype, I still did not get this movie. Seemed pretty pointless to me.
July 24, 2010
I watched this while in a half-delirious state after traveling all day; tired as I was it kept me awake! I can't pretend that it's a great movie, but by the end I felt like it was really insightful in a weird, cynical way. A little unique and refreshing, although some characters/parts were never fully developed and took away from the overall likability. I think it's worth watching although that could be because I'm a slightly cynical teenager too =]
June 30, 2010
I AM BORED TO DEATH...
½ June 9, 2010
I've just come to realize that I love dark and more twisted story lines.
½ April 16, 2010
not great... but i was a watchable thing