C'est Pas Moi, Je le Jure! (It's Not Me, I Swear!) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

C'est Pas Moi, Je le Jure! (It's Not Me, I Swear!) Reviews

March 21, 2010
Like this film best out of the 3 that I was watching during the Francophonie Film Marathon. Leon, a 10-yr old highly mischievous, highly disturbed. All because of the influence of his upbringing. I wouldn't want a kid like this, nor would I want to be a mother who has went in search of herself but forgetting the fact that her priorities has shifted since being a mother of 2.
March 20, 2010
Moral of the story: be careful when you teach a child that, "lying is bad, but lying badly is worse" or "when one has to lie, at least keep the story straight". The child may just turn into a monster.
½ February 18, 2010
Think of "Home Alone" but home is not his home, he breaks into them, he is not mean only to the robbers but to everyone and he occasionally tries to kill himself, his mom doesn't forget him at home, she leaves home for good, he is not in love with the cheerleader at school, he is in love with the girl next door who gets beaten by her uncle, they are not a normal family in America, they are an "un-normal" family in Canada.

Leon: Let's start a new life together.
Lea: Leon, we're 10.
Leon: Exactly! It's not too late.
February 15, 2010
I really have a good time whenever I go to a Philippe Falardeau film and there is no exception here. What a funny tale of a young liar. Nice film.
February 15, 2010
It was alright. I was slightly bored at times and truthfully it doesnt amount to very much but it was okay. The little children did a great job acting out some very serious issues, so for that I applaud them. There were moments in the begining that I enjoyed but after a while I just didnt really care anymore.

What did this movie teach me? Apparently children in Quebec drink, smoke, hit women, and are suicidal all by the age of 10. Brilliant.
January 16, 2010
This movie manages to stay disturbing and quirky at the same time. I was hoping that it would be more amelie + home alone but it turned out to be a rather artsy film. Not a movie I will recommend to the mainstream movie watcher.
½ January 9, 2010
Charming kid with good acting skills. Though humorous, it rightly portrays the emotional trauma suffered by children from broken families.
January 7, 2010
3.5 Stars out of 5

It's Not Me, I Swear (Ce N'est Pas Moi, Je Le Lure) is a 2008 French-Canadian film that has characters who are victimized by their environments--in this case, the suburbs. This is another Canadian film that threw through the cracks of the cinema introspection, and is truly an effective piece about characters who have only one redeeming quality: they are human. The film isn't about characters trying to survive in the suburbs (something American Beauty, a spellbinding film, was about) but rather escaping it. The story doesn't explicitly play off the boy who cried wolf, but more about the boy who cried fox (you'll understand if you see it), though the animal analogy is still there, but just turned on its head. The fox doesn't inflict on the boy's wickedness but is the only good he can find. A fox is sly, subtly ferocious, and underestimated, like the boy. You could say the fox is a smaller scale version of a wolf, which is what we're dealing with here--a smaller scale human: a little boy.

The story follows Lon, a 10 year-old who plays hooky from school and raids and eggs neighbours' homes while they are away. He isn't your typical child and life for him is no nicer than he is. This is like the story of Alex (from A Clockwork Orange) as a youngling and speaking in French dialect. But where was arbitrarily psychotic, Lon's will for attention is a result of his parent's incessant fighting and lack of friends. Eventually, Lon meets Lea, a crush of his, who struggles with parental problems just as equally. The film forms a subtle love story of the two but the relationship is more focused on their connections as forgotten souls. Director Philippe Faradeau almost takes on a prolonged adventure story overwhelmed in harrowing mishaps but eventually, and wisely, eludes this.

Faradeau is compelled with the angelic aspect of the world. His continuous aerial shots are mesmerizing as it looks down on its self-regulating world. Antoine L'...cuyer (Lon) effectively portrays a boy who feels his abnormality is an impedance in his family so well that we care about him even though he isn't utterly likeable. Once the ending unravels, it isn't anti-climactic, it is fittingly ethereal and bitter-sweet. Is paradise found for Lon? Not necessarily, but the life that perhaps abuses him may have redeemed him.

I SAY-See it.
November 22, 2009
Le comédien Antoine L'?cuyer est vraiment doué. L'histoire m'a fait rire à quelques reprises. Ce film opte pour des couleurs de ''Léolo'' de Jean-Claude Lauzon. Un autre bijou de Philippe Falardeau.
November 15, 2009
This is definitely an interesting story, especially if you can relate to it.
November 11, 2009
A beautiful and memorable period piece about a troubled boy and his search for some sort of meaning in life. The visual story constantly kept me interested while the unpredictable nature of the boy never allowed me to settle into a comfort zone. Let's hope this gets the audience it deserves.
November 1, 2009
I really enjoyed it, the young actors were great, especially Antoine L'Ecuyer. I was really moved by his performance. Bravo to Philippe Falardeau for this movie.
October 28, 2009
Strange movie about coping with changes in the world(s) around us!
½ October 13, 2009
There were some touching moments but overall I just could bring myself to care for the little guy - he was too busy ruining other people's days.
½ October 4, 2009
I'm not usually a fan of Quebec films, but this one totally changed the prejudice I had against them. This movie was truly touching, dramatic, and fresh! ;)
½ October 3, 2009
Excellent bitter-sweet comedy (from Quebec!) about childhood!! Excellente comedie quebecoise douce-amere sur l'enfance!!
August 23, 2009
La trame sonore est bonne, au moins ca !!
August 21, 2009
Quebec film-making is getting quite good. Just look at movies like C.R.A.Z.Y. This film is also about growing up in Quebec in the 1960s. Léon is a 10 year old with many problems including his parents who just recently divorced. Of course this is frowned upon in his neighbourhood ("divorce isl a dirty word" says his brother). Leon acts out and tries to come to terms with his crazy family and absent mother who has moved to Greece. It all makes for a pretty good movie. It's both quite funny and quite sad. That's an accomplishment.
August 14, 2009
Completely magistral, you all should see this.
June 27, 2009
Très bon film de P. Farladeau. L'enfance pas très jojo traitée de façon tout de même divertissante et humoristique.