Home - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Home Reviews

February 28, 2010
- it's French. What more can I say? Great performance though. Love Olivier Gourmet here.
½ February 17, 2010
it takes the whole movie to come to a conclusion that should have taken all of ten minutes. this movie was painful to watch. the only reason that i felt that i had to watch it was because i had already tried to watch "eraserhead" and shut that off after five minutes of listening to static. so i felt i owed it to myself to sit through the next movie - never again. if i don't like a movie, from now on, i'm just going to leave or shut it off. i wish there was a way to get back the time i lost.
½ February 3, 2010
Directors seem to begin their careers in one of three ways. One they debut with a bang, impressing the world and making a big splash. Two, they debut with something so so but showing great amounts of promise. Three, they debut to the sound of crickets from the masses and continue from there...

Ursula Meier's Home was a combination of the first and second types of debuts for me. While it may have not been the best thing I have ever seen, it certainly was something I found to be more than a little interesting, and I did find it to have a great many things to say.

This is a very (in my thoughts) assured debut. One that is not for everyone in its surrealist approach to telling its story, but one that asks many questions and looks at many ideas of the human condition.

The movie begins in a content "isolation". A family living on the edge of society (the description of the movie says in a rural town, but if you see the film I think you would probably say they live in a rural area... period) but still connected (with the radio, abandoned road next to their home, music, garbage truck who comes to pick up the trash, father who works in society,telephone, etc, etc) and happy to be able to live and express themselves in the ways they see works for them. From there is begins to decend into disarray as the road (read more like highway or expressway) is re-opened and the family is foced to confront the real world (literally meters from the outside of their windows) in a way they don't seem ready, willing or able to do. From here the narrative moves on to a forced and uncomfortable isolation as each character confronts their own fears, desires, hang ups etc of society (and ultimately themselves), in a ever more confining space (both metaphorically and literally). Ending with a liberation (the weekest part of the movie for me) of sorts and perhaps a better understanding and acceptance of themselves and society as a whole, this is a movie that all along the way asks us to look at different aspects of human interaction, tolerance, society and our roles in it.

The narrative of this film is never what one would call... straight forward... but that, to me, gives it all the more right feel and motion it needs, and while there were a few times I felt it was a bit over the top in its presentation of the ideas it was trying to convey (read pretention), I liked the overall effect the film left on me.

The other thing I really liked about this film were the characters themselves. How each one of them is forced to confront their own fears and how ironic this movie is in the way it shows that the isolation they had at the beginning of the film (the one they wanted) turning into one that they feel is forced on them by the changes in their surroundings (they did not want but can't prevent). These characters were ones I was interested in watching, listening to and learning about, and this was a story that I was happy to be seen told.

I have seen people write that this was the anit-road movie, movie, and while I see what they are saying, I actually saw it in the reverse in many ways... It is an anti road movie in the conventional sense of the idea, but in the more inner workings and self understanding idea of the thought it is a road movie of the most interesting and surreal inklings... and one that makes me look forward to seeing what director Ursula Meier will do next.
½ January 31, 2010
Certainly scores for originality but left me a little cold with its aloof pretensions.
½ January 26, 2010
Une heure après le début du film je me suis dit: "Si j'ai droit à plan de la famille et de la maison filmé depuis une voiture roulant sur l'autoroute, ce film récolte 5 étoiles."
10 secondes avant la fin du film, Ursula Meier à entendu ma prière.

Home, c'est l'histoire d'une famille. Une famille lambda, qui mène une existence "normale" au bord d'une autoroute fermée pour des raisons inconnues du spectateur. Seulement, un jour, cette autoroute ouvre.. et tout bascule.
En lisant ce résumé pondu en 20 secondes, on pourrait croire que Home est un film plat, avec un scénario digne d'Avatar (pardon). Mais il n'en est rien. Home est une critique allégorique sur plusieurs plans. En 1h30, Ursula Meier parvient à nous montrer de la joie, de la tristesse, de la peur, des crises de démence, de la paranoïa, de l'amour, de la folie, des pulsions meurtrières, des pensées suicidaires, des blackouts sensoriels..
? travers ce spectre énorme d'émotions, Ursula Meier nous démontre l'impact de cet élément perturbateur sur le plan individuel, familial, social et écologique. Elle va explorer les "phases" à travers chacun des membres de la famille va passer, elle montre l'implosion de la bulle familial face à ce défi, elle montre la perte de contact avec la réalité de cette famille isolée dans son coin du monde.
Pour incarner ces personnages, des acteurs dont le jeu dépasse toute attente. Le tout, bénéficiant d'une cinématographie irréprochable et d'une identité visuelle unique sans être exagérée.

En un mot: "Merci." Merci madame Meier de nous montre que les Suisses aussi peuvent nous pondre des chefs-d'oeuvres. Car Home en est un, de chef-d'oeuvre. 4,5 (parce-que le 5 se mérite après avoir survécu à l'épreuve du temps).
½ December 5, 2009
breathtaking extraordinary family drama!
½ November 28, 2009
A wonderfully crafted tale of privacy lost. It is refreshing in the sense that it is original and captivating whilst borrowing unintentially in theme from an Australian comedy gem titled "The Castle".
½ November 28, 2009
"Home" is an offbeat and endearing movie that makes beautiful use out of its unique setting. Michel(Olivier Gourmet) and Marthe(Isabelle Huppert) moved to the middle of nowhere after her nervours breakdown ten years previously. A highway was built by their house but never completed until now which breaks up their disordered existence, such as using the highway for their personal roller hockey rink. While the drivers now get a new road, the family is blocked in and can go nowhere. And sitting out in the yard to watch television has definitely lost its charm. However, it does not stop elder daughter Judith(Adelaide Leroux) from sunbathing within easy sight of the motorists. Her sister Marion(Madeleine Budd), who is scary smart but thinks too much, worries about the level of lead in the new environment, which Judith ignores as she continues smoking cigarettes. However, Marion does get to her younger brother Julien(Kacey Mottet Klein) and they both walk to the school bus which has turned into an adventure, the only one he still has as most of his playmates have vanished. The problem for all concerned is not the level of noise which is manageable but that they are being watched constantly. And just as the remote location turns out to be no permanent remedy for this family's ills, neither is the highway for the motorists since they still have to deal with the occasional traffic jam to which Judith is actually blameless.
November 13, 2009
Home at times was one of the most unsettling films I've seen. It's about a family whose life is turned upside down from their ideal existence by the building of a motorway next to their isolated house. The family go through the joy of being on holiday, the attempts to look for a missing daughter and the torment of road noise. This is Ursula Meier first film which is hard to believe watching this accomplished film.
½ November 8, 2009
La historia me pareció interesante y original: una familia que vive pacíficamente frente a una carretera que ha estado cerrada por años, la cual repentinamente vuelve a funcionar. Me parece particularmente interesante si se interpreta como fábula de la disrupción en la vida familiar y de los espacios privados. Pero la verdad no me quedo muy claro cual es la idea subyacente en el film; hay un monton de recursos que parecen estar ahí como recursos netamente estéticos, pero sin ninguna relevancia narrativa. Isabelle Huppert súper glamorosa - incluso en el campo anda con tacones.
½ November 5, 2009
Voila un rcit bien original qui aurait pu faire un bon bouquin. Peut-etre esce le cas? Un film drole, glauque et dramatique a la fois.

Vivre au bord d'une autoroute c'est juste l'enfer sur terre.
October 19, 2009
Very interesting film.
½ October 12, 2009
This really was rather a wierd film about a somewhat disfunctional family who live next to an unused motorway who's lives are upended when the motorway is re opened. They all lose it in their own way. At one moment funny, the next rather disturbing. I quite enjoyed it.
September 28, 2009
Weird plot including a weird family that lives in a weird place. The plot is in my opinion very original and the director describes it as a road movie in reverse and I belive it's a good description. A family living in a house near an highway in the building process. The family want to stay but the changing surroundings changes them as well in so many ways. The filming and camerawork is cool, lots of quick and static shots and it gives the movie a certain effect that fits it well. This movie started very promising but sadly it turned out a bit boring. It's warm and dramatic at the same time but something is missing.
August 29, 2009
A fascinating French-language film that fills an essentially simple story with haunting imagery. It begins with domestic bliss as experienced by a family who seem idyllically happy in their remote home next to a disused motorway. They seem somehow unusually innocent; they're certainly uninhibited about being naked in front of one another, although there's no suggestion of any kind of abuse in the family. But everything changes when the motorway is reopened. Home becomes hellish, but mother Marthe (Isabelle Huppert) simply cannot bear to leave. So they try to carry on and to shut out the outside world, alternately arguing and sticking together, until their defences become deadly...

Read literally, 'Home' could seem silly - surely nobody could be quite THAT stubborn? But the world is full of people doggedly hanging on to beliefs and habits that look suicidally stupid to outside observers, and I think that 'Home' is best read as a metaphor for the perils of excessive resistance to change. It's an very entertaining fable, charming and funny at the start, building to an exciting conclusion and presenting the viewer with pictures that linger in the mind long after that conclusion.
August 22, 2009
Pretentious kitchen sink drama, Huppert gives a very tic laden performance.