The Blind Side Reviews

• 4d ago

Great football movie based on a true story of Michael Oher.

Great football movie based on a true story of Michael Oher.

• Aug 11, 2019

What an inspiring movie. It's uplifting and heartwarming. My only problem is that it strays a little away from the true story, but that happens when trying to make good movies- emphasizing highs and lows for viewer entertainment.

• Aug 02, 2019

a beautiful story told brilliantly from start to finish in this stunningly moving film. the acting here is flawless Sandra bullock delivers in every way and quinton aaron is charming and lovable as Michael. this is just a moving feel good fantastic family film everyone should watch.

• Jul 22, 2019

It has an inspirational story in a sense but its not a great movie by any means.

• Jun 21, 2019

I haven't hated a film as much as I hated this one in a while. This was a textbook example of why the white savior trope is not only hugely offensive to racial minorities but also painful to watch for audiences. The fact that this film earned a Best Picture nomination should make the Academy feel ashamed of themselves as it's possibly one of the worst films of 2009. Sandra Bullock's Best Actress win was also ridiculous as she is at her scenery chewing worst and nominated against obviously superior actresses like Meryl Streep and Helen Mirren. I have a burning hatred for this film and yet, much like a car crash, I found myself watching and cringing as the events unfolded against John Lee Hancock's tasteless direction. Wealthy, privileged housewife Leigh Anne Tuohy, Sandra Bullock, adopts an African-American teenager out of guilt and because she wants a pet project to brag about to her equally privileged friends. She, and she alone, trains Michael Oher, Quinton Aaron, to be a competent human being and trains him in how to be good at football. Then it is discovered that the Tuohy family probably only took Michael in because they wanted him to attended Ole Miss University. This conflict is quickly brushed aside however and we reaffirm that Leigh Anne is a saint. The complete lack of tension at any point in this film caused it to feel inert and stale which didn't help when the characters were so easy to hate or to poke fun at. When tensions are brought up I placed myself firmly on the side of those who "attack" Leigh Anne because they often made reasonable arguments and I wanted to see this annoying, privileged woman be taken down a notch. When you have one of the only African-American characters in the film be a villainous investigator from the NCAA who interrogates a seemingly deranged Michael it doesn't send the right message. At no point did I feel that Leigh Anne or her family were in any way at risk for the supposedly difficult decision they made and that only added to the sickening feeling that this family had taken this boy under their wing out of vanity not altruism. This was also one of those ‘creepy' Christian films in which references to the lord and Christianity are dropped in here and there, enough to appeal to the Southern conservative base while not isolating those who aren't on board with the views that the film is in favor of. I was grossed out by how the film presents Leigh Anne as this angelic woman who saves Michael from his evil African-American community and when his biological mother tells her she is a "good Christian woman" I wanted to slap Leigh Anne. Beware that if you watch this film with even an ounce of decency within your body you will also want to throw up at the sight of these horrors. Getting to Bullock's performance I have to say that it is the worst to ever win an actress the coveted Academy Award as Bullock is simply awful. Yes, she is working with terrible material but even the moments that most actresses could sell are fumbled by the incompetent Bullock. Had Judy Davis or Sissy Spacek been cast in this role you can bet it would have appeared a hell of a lot better on screen and they wouldn't have messed up a simple line like "No, he's changing mine," as bad as it is. I think that the 2009 Best Actress category was fairly weak but Meryl Streep gives a fantastic performance as Julia Child that reaches beyond impersonation in Julie & Julia (2009). Don't ever, ever watch this film. It mystifies me how this piece of trash received any critical praise but the negative reappraisal that it has received was correct because it is as bad as everybody says it is and it proves that we need to get rid of the white savior trope once and for all. I would suggest that people watch every film nominated for Best Picture in 2009 over this film because I don't think I have seen many films worse than this one.

• Jun 16, 2019

Led by Sandra Bullock's incredible work, this movie has a lot of good acting to go along with a solid script. It is wholesome family stuff and kind of predictable, but they do enough to really make it work.

• May 06, 2019

Even writing this review is really not worth my time. The first half at least has something to salvage as we root the underdog, while some warm-hearted laughs are thrown in. Then you get the second-half with a family whom have never met a Democrat, long scenes of rugby (American football) matches and a weird turn in the story focusing on Ole Miss? That ending was such a huge letdown, and the fact this got nominated for Best Picture is testament to the Academy's falling (or if I may say, fallen) credibility.

• Apr 30, 2019

The Blind Side is a 2009 film based on a true story. The film was directed by John Lee Hancock who would later go on to direct The Founder. The film stars Sandra Bullock as Leigh Anne Tuohy and Quinton Aaron as Michael Oher. The acting in my opinion was very strong from the entire main cast especially Quinton Aaron as Michael Oher. I felt that he gave a realistic performance to a lovable character. The characters I personally very much liked from Leigh Anne Tuohy to Jae Head as S.J. The best character I felt was Michael from his kindness to his protectiveness. I also really liked the chemistry between Michael and S.J. The film also had some strong cinematography with some very good shots of the characters. The set design and props were steady from the building designs to the football pitches. The costume design I personally very much liked from the football gear to Michael's fashion sense. The film also had a sound style from the colour scheme to the cinematography. I also really liked the football scenes from the pacing and shots to the sport in general. The film also has some nice music here and there, but there was one or two themes which sounded a bit like stock music. The story I felt was enjoyable to watch fold out and was well put together. The story is also based on true life events, but I don't know the real story enough to say if they did it correctly. The film also had some comedy here and there which I felt worked for the most part. The film toward the beginning in my opinion has a very strong atmosphere mostly with the character Michael. The film like most films based on true story's was quiet emotional and nearly had me crying. Surprisingly I also very much enjoyed the film and hope to watch it again very soon. Over all I give it a 6/10

• Apr 30, 2019

What a phenomenal movie!!! I loved everything about it! A must see!

What a phenomenal movie!!! I loved everything about it! A must see!

• Feb 19, 2019

Very sad, but entertaining.

Very sad, but entertaining.