A Crime - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Crime Reviews

June 26, 2017
The sexy noir aesthetics of this nonsensical bomb of a film are like a paint job struggling valiantly to hold together a bomb of a car.
August 12, 2014
The story fundamentally is not bad and could have been developed into a decent movie. This one is not - there are too many WTF moments and gaping plot holes, not to mention, New York looks like some foreign city (despite being shot on location). The acting and dialog are not particularly convincing, either.
½ October 12, 2013
Very good story...different for sure. great movie
March 15, 2013
a little dark, a little sexy, a little twisty. I liked it.
May 8, 2012
The only reason I managed to make it through this movie was because of Norman Reedus' performance. By and large, the movie brings nothing new to the plate, important plot points are not explained and there's hardly any character development. In the end, it's an easily forgettable film and not even Reedus can save it.
December 25, 2011
This movie was awesome, it had a great twist of events and a nice change of plot. The actors were visions of art.
DrStrangeblog
½ December 6, 2011
Many bad choices in this potentially intriguing story of twisted love and double-cross. You'd think Harvey Keitel would make an ideal NYC cabbie, instead he said to himself "hey, you know, this time I think I'm a-gonna throw in a little aboriginal mysticism into my character 'cos I just saw an article in National Geographic - didn't read the whole thing, but I think I got the gist." At least he settles a longstanding bar bet here by proving that he is the world's worst interpretive dancer. Meanwhile Emmanuelle Beart fluctuates within the space of a scene - she expresses herself in English decently, but extracting a true performance becomes more difficult with a limiting script like this. Her scenes with Keitel are undoubtedly awkward, and that's even before they do the nasty. Then it's like watching the Venus de Milo get used as a coat rack for a tattered leather jacket.

The story gets a little kickstart once Beart's true motive is revealed, but quickly squanders that momentum. She has better chemistry with Norman Reedus, and the scenes between them with her silent yearning are the best in the movie - not what a director of a thriller should hope to achieve! Dumb plot points seal its doom, the biggest of which is the driving element: Reedus' obsession with finding his girlfriend's killer, a man who drove a cab with a scratched door and wore a ring and red jacket. You'd have a hard time narrowing your suspects in Little Rock, Arkansas the next day with that profile, let alone 3 years later in the city with more cabbies than Larry King has failed marriages.

What a pathetically limp title too, a more accurate one would be D-Minus Crime.
½ August 7, 2011
Didn't keep my attention for a second.
May 25, 2011
The huge coincidences (?) stretched believability, but the performances make this worth watching.
½ January 2, 2011
The only crime is that this movie was ever made. And that I watched the whole thing.
December 13, 2010
One of those movies that the director throws hints, but never comes out and confirms anything. What we know is that Alice, who seems a little crazy, picks a NY taxi driver as a likely candidate as the murderer of her neighbour's wife. Alice sets it up that her neighbour sees the cabby in the same outfit he was supposedly wearing when he killed the neighbour's wife. Wait, it gets more complicated than that!
December 11, 2010
Omg never again do I want to see Harvey Keitel in a sex scene. Not only was he in 1, he was in 2 that I know of. One in the beginning of the movie and one in the end. I'm not sure about anything in between due to the fact I fell alseep for a good chunk of the movie. Boring, boring boring.. Whatever crew got together to make this movie should all go your separate ways and never look back!
December 6, 2010
** (out of four)

The presence of Harvey Keitel can't quite save this detached and downright dull drama/thriller. The acting is fine, but the script doesn't breath life into any of its characters, making us not care about the resolution.

A man will not rest until her finds who murdered his wife. The woman living next door thinks she can make him happy. To help him move on she creates a scapegoat for the crime.
½ November 14, 2010
I am about 2/3rds of the way through this mess and the best part of it, of course, is Harvey Keitel. The woman who plays Alice is good but the story line is weak. I will manage to make it through the end with a rating of 2.5 stars. KE
½ June 9, 2010
This could have been a really good film, instead it turned out so-so. They could've done more with the story, made it have more action, suspense, instead it fell flat.

Harvey Keitel was amazingly creepy though, no argument there. Norman Reedus was, as always, a joy to watch.

While I'm more than happy to permit artistic license, I have a hard time believing the events in this movie.
December 13, 2009
Good story line. Well shot. Some surprises. Good intensity without going over the top.
August 4, 2009
it's about a guy who's trying to find his wife's killer, at the same, his neighbor Alice is deeply in love with him, but he doesn't want to get involve in a relationship unless he deals with the killer, so she will do anything to find a victim that fits the profile... from there, the plot seems interesting, but then comes the consequences, I expected Hell to break loose, but nothing happens, now that is a crime!!!
½ July 15, 2009
Not a good film at all i liked nothing about it performances and story just crap skip it.
July 13, 2009
an alright drama, not bad, not fantastic. harvey keitel is very good as usual and emmanuelle beart is so devious in this that i wanted her to fall out a window or something equally satisfying, but other than that there isn't alot to say about this one. oh, and warning, you will be subjected to keitel's ass in this one. be forewarned.