Stone of Destiny - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stone of Destiny Reviews

April 4, 2015
It's okay, kind of a like a good TV movie. The ending is annoying though.
½ September 19, 2014
Well, it wasn't much of a film, but at least it was topical today, 19. 9. 2014.
½ September 7, 2014
Despite its TV movie feel and obvious anti-English sentiment, this is an interesting take on the true story of Scottish students stealing back a special stone from Westminster Abbey.
July 2, 2014
Made me very proud to have a Scottish heritage :)
March 19, 2014
I may be rating a bit high on this one, but as a Scotsman I know the story of Stone of Destiny and the film made me feel quite satisfied because beautiful scenery, the epic score, and the lively cast of characters who did something crazy and illegal because they loved their country.
October 6, 2013
This movie had a great story with a solid cast. Add in the amazing scenery and a perfect ending and you get an entertaining hour and a half.
½ September 9, 2013
Okay...not 'heisty' enough.
½ July 28, 2013
Stone of destiny is one of those independent films that really stands out due to its plot, great cast and effective directing. I really enjoyed the film and thought it had the perfect amount of drama and comedy. Also it had plenty of heart. This is an enjoyable film that is simple in its ideas, but the result is inspired and accomplished. Of course the film has its fair share of problems, but it manages to soar above its problems to really be a fun and entertaining picture worth seeing. The cast here do a wonderful job and they each bring something truly remarkable to the screen. The film is an accomplished independent production and is one of the better low budget affairs. This is a good film with standout performances. The plot is interesting and well thought out. If you come across this film, I suggest you give it a shot because it is a surprisingly effective film that will entertain from start to finish. The Stone of Destiny is wonderful fun and with the talent involved, you know you're going to get a well acted film with a well written script. The film may be imperfect in some areas, but for the most part it definitely is an effort worthy of seeing. Films like this should be made more aware of in the viewers mind, as I find them more compelling than most big budget picture, which most of the time fails to truly entertain. If you're looking for a far better film than most blockbusters and want something with a truly entertaining story with talented cast members, then this is the film for you.
July 27, 2013
can't recall why this movie made it onto my list, but it was fun to watch given we had recently visited Scotland.
May 23, 2013
A really beautiful film! I loved all the great landscape shots of Scotland and England, great plot and cast as well!
½ April 22, 2013
Fun movie about what happened to the Stone of Destiny in the 1950s -- with a good cast and some great landscape and humour.
March 29, 2013
Great movie if you are into Scotland and its striving for independence. Next to Brave-heart I consider it the most stunning patriotic film to come out of Alba. Fantastic cast, detailed script and decent cinematography
January 19, 2013
Pretty thin bowl of oatmeal.
September 9, 2012
this one was ok but kind of dissappointing and not really that funny for being listed as a comedy
August 22, 2012
Stone of Destiny is 1 of the best films i've seen in well... a long time! What makes it even more fascinating is it's based on the true experiences of Ian Hamilton and his fellow classmates that believed in something so profoundly did what they felt was right.
The film is based on real events and tells the story of the theft of the Stone of Scone on Christmas Day, 1950.
½ June 26, 2012
Pleasant enough diversion, especially for anyone with Scottish ancestry. Decent performances, but nothing amazing. Good for a slow night.
½ June 14, 2012
being from england myself i couldn't help but think that this movie was anti english, but i thought it was very well done, and it was historically correct. It kind of annoyed me though when it showed the england sign and then it showed the welcome to scotland sign, it is kind of like saying everyone in england is bad and not just the goverment. this was a good movie but it wasn't a comedy like i expected it to be (in the comedy section)
½ June 3, 2012
lovely scottish accents! based on real events, this funny & pleasantly paced movie recounts the story of these students' daring plan to steal the coronation stone from london and brought it home to scotland, all in the name of pride & glory of the scots. it's funny to think that the mastermind turned out to be a lawyer later in life ;p
May 23, 2012
A keen but artificial effort; a modest success nevertheless. The Scotland vs. England angle is fresh and spirited -- I'm ignorant of the real politics, but artistically it's a great background. Oddly, the film seems to sanctify recklessness in thematic support of something that's basically just inconsequential, but I suppose that's not a huge problem.

Aside from a lazy montage during the first act, it shows a really smart and adventurous organization, especially during the theft itself, when it could have easily become too fast (sloppy) or too slow (boring).
March 5, 2012
You know those films where you watch the first five minutes and you know exactly how things are going to turn out? This is one. So turned it off after 10.