A Prophet (Un prophete) Reviews

• Feb 26, 2019

Unexpectedly graphic

Unexpectedly graphic

• Dec 22, 2018

Tahar Rahim is mesmerizing in this breakout role. I loved this movie, so gritty, and yet Tahar brings a degree of humanity to his role.

• Oct 08, 2018

Action, acting, storyline: all five stars

Action, acting, storyline: all five stars

• Jun 18, 2018

A dense experience. My love for Audiard deepens with A Prophet, a subtly subversive gangster flick and character study. We witness the intricacies of criminal networks and the people swallowed up or thrashing for survival in this morally bereft system. It's comprised of story beats we've seen before, but in a more detailed, less melodramatic fashion. The prison setting is not a hindrance but a claustrophobic lair where degenerates operate "within the law."

• Feb 17, 2018

this movie was dope. Lotta hustling in prison, and main lead is an Arab, but the movie doesn't lecture us about religious tolerance, etc but we begin to respect Muslim religion and idea of brotherhood toward the end.

• Feb 15, 2018

When he walks out of the prison at the end of the movie, walking with the mother and son of his dead friend, followed by the limos, you know you've just watched a classic movie.

• Oct 07, 2017

A nominee in the category of Best Foreign Language Film at the Oscars and the Golden Globes that reverberates with tenderhearted muscularity in chronicling the survival story of a young petty criminal in the hellacious Darwinian world behind bars.

• Aug 02, 2017

Un Prophète s'avère une merveille tant par son acteur principal que l'attention porter au scénario. Un "must" pour n'importe quel amateur de films de "gangsters"

• Jul 29, 2017

Great lead performance by Rahim as a man that must evolve and fulfill a dark destiny in an environment rarely seen in cinema. Audiard delivers a detailed social commentary on race/ethnicity, poverty and prison life and an original gangster coming-of-age film.

• May 09, 2017