American Son - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Son Reviews

October 4, 2009
So far awesome movie
½ September 29, 2009
Several anti-war films have come along in the past couple of years calling out the war in Iraq. They've covered various conspiracies, big personalities and the frontlines. But, perhaps, none have been as human as Neil Abramson's American Son.
½ September 28, 2009
Meh. That's about it.
September 23, 2009
It was slow and boring, and I usually like Nick Cannon's indie flicks.
September 5, 2009
Nick Cannon really forced this one. Wasn't a big fan of his acting, it just seemed so unnatural. The movie itself was slow paced and seemed to drag on. And then it just ended and I wanted to know more. I really just didn't like it.
½ August 29, 2009
Left unimpressed. Not worth the time or money.
½ August 21, 2009
Are you tired of cliched movies about gangs and love? Well, here's another one - just in case you haven't. Mediocre, semi-believable performances, awfully silly script development, obnoxious characters, lack of depth, wrong soundtrack listing, endless scenes and duration and...overall just a bad film that needn't have been made. I've personally seen movies like this one hundreds of times before only better. Another Americanized attempt to touch our cold hearts. That fails.
½ August 20, 2009
in RT twice. Nick Cannon just isn't convincing, but he does try. The story never really grabbed my attention and had too much repetition and it's too slow. Unoriginal score. Boring.
August 20, 2009
August 17, 2009
Good acting, not really sure where the plot was going. Just a bunch of random interactions with people during the weekend.
½ August 16, 2009
average movie.. romance, a little comedy and no war action at all...consequences on becoming a US Marine and going to war...
½ June 1, 2009
Good film, compelling performances.
½ February 18, 2009
Good movie nick cannon did his thang.
½ February 2, 2009
Well-done portrayal of a young man in the Marines coming back home and trying to deal with the disconnect between who he's become and who he used to be.
½ July 13, 2008
A good film premise goes awry. The performances and story are far too uneven. Jay Hernandez provides scene stealing moments as an injured soldier, in probably his best acting to date. The story could have made more of a potentially strong and different idea for an Iraq/War story. Too bad it wasn't more. An unneeded love story that develops in 4 days. Stupid.
½ June 30, 2008
Possibly one of the best films I've seen this year so far! Almost perfect.
½ January 29, 2008
(Seen at Sundance). Very surprised here. When I was going to this one, I thought to myself: "Nick Cannon? The nickelodeon and Wildin' Out guy? What the hell is he doing in this?". Then I saw the movie, and was pleasantly surprised. Along with the other cast members, Cannon proved himself to be a pretty darn good actor. Great story and, of course, this film brings up some good points about mortality and the effects that one person can have on a huge community. Tight.
January 28, 2008
Really good Sundance movie. Story of the last 5 days before a young lower-class boy is shipped off to Iraq. Deals with big issues in subtle ways.
½ January 25, 2008
not great, but not bad either. nick cannon is a marine about to shipped to iraq and plays the part quite well. a bit slow and too introspective. seems to intend frustration from the viewer.
½ January 23, 2008
Sundance Film Festival...a great story and a great cast. Nick Cannon gives you an impressive performance as a Marine being sent to Iraq and spending the Thanksgiving holiday at home before being shipped off. Never thought that Nick could play such a serouis role. Wow. And Melonie Diaz....watch out for her(she was also in Be Kind Rewind with Jack Black that also premiered at Sundance). She's great! All in all, a really good film.