Women in Cages - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Women in Cages Reviews

½ November 9, 2014
Carol 'Jeff' Jeffries (Jennifer Gan) is set up by her boyfriend, Rudy (Charlie Davao). Jeff doesn't realize that Rudy runs a ship-board prostitution, gambling and drug dealing empire. Rudy sees the heat closing in on him and stashes his illegal goods in poor Jeff's purse. Thrown into a harsh prison, Jeff encounters Alabama (Pam Grier), a sadistic lesbian guard fond of torture. Cellmate Stokes (Roberta Collins) is a heroin addict who agrees to a plot against Jeff that will secure her more heroin. Another cell mate Sandy (Judith M. Brown) also agrees to a plot against Jeff that could secure her own release. Their other cellmate Theresa (Sofia Moran) is Alabama's girlfriend. Jeff endures a horrible experience made worse by her cellmates as she struggles day to day. Finally realizing her boyfriend is not helping her, Jeff hopes to escape through the jungle. She then learns that local poachers are paid to track and kill escapees, who inevitably become lost in the wilds surrounding the prison. When Theresa falls out of favor with Alabama and loses her privileged position in the cell block, escape becomes an attractive option to her. Theresa reveals that she knows the jungle well and can obtain outside help. Despite the fact that two of her three cellmates had previously agreed to covert plots against Jeff, all three of them accompany her on the escape...

"Women In Cages" is an early 70s exploitation women in prison flick. This is pretty poor in terms of production values, acting and then there´s the fact that women are abused in all sorts of ways in the movie. We see stabbings, nudity, violence, torture, rape and lesbian love in a mix with uneven and poor editing as the icing on the cake. I reckon classic topics in the genre. The genre itself is "special" to say the least, and it truly feels like something in the past these days. Why did I see "Women In Cages"? The beautiful, underrated, strong and will powered Pam Grier is my answer. Despite the fact that she is "evil" in this one.
DrStrangeblog
March 15, 2014
Superior WIP film, and one of the first to kick off the genre's popularity at the outset of the 1970s. Some unique casting adds interest as Pam Grier plays the sadistic warden while personal favorite Roberta Collins, frequently the sympathetic cellmate, is the conniving junkie with orders to kill the new girl! That new girl is Jeff (Jeff?!?) played by Jennifer Gan whose acting credits are limited, mostly bit parts on TV, and don't extend beyond 1972. And for a very good reason too: she's absolutely terrible! Probably the worst acting I have seen in the genre, and these roles aren't honeypots for the next Charlize Theron. So she's a significant drag factor, but Collins & Grier keep the ship from sinking while showing some boobie among the showerings, stabbings, riotings, plottings, escapings, and torturings on the Wheel Of Misfortune. In all, a gritty guilty pleasure good time.
October 30, 2013
This is the weakest of Rodger Corman's "Women in Prison" series with Pam Grier. The story is weak and the acting is bad. There are plenty of nude women. Pam Grier's prison guard uniform is ugly. The props are fake looking and the bloody makeup is just red streaks painted on the girls bodies. The whole premise of the story of four American girls in a Philippine prison seems unlikely. And for a Philippine prison to have a black American woman from Harlem as the head matron is also kind of far fetched. Despite the name of the movie, the women spend most of the time in a prison cell and are never placed in any cages like the one shown on the cover of the DVD box. The movie's story made it seem like there was a Philippine mafia that controlled the country. When this movie was made Marcos was dictator of the Philippine Islands and controlled everything in the country with an iron fist. If the Marcos government wanted to throw a drug smuggler into prison they wouldn't need his girlfriend to testify against him. They'd just frame him and send him to prison.
July 3, 2013
Pure genius its like an episode of Prisoner Cell Block H on acid. Serious twitch off Pam Frier as the sadistic head screw with a taste for the female prisoner.
January 19, 2013
Pure genius its like an episode of Prisoner Cell Block H on acid. Serious twitch off Pam Frier a sthe sadistic head screw with a taste for the female prisoner.
July 30, 2012
A highlight of 70s grindhouse cinema. Like the rest of it's ilk it's non-sense, and makes up for it's lack of budget with sleaze. What works though, is the film's sense of humor (some parts of the film almost feel like parody), and Pam Grier's acting. Next time you feel the need to laugh at a bad movie, this should fit the bill nicely.
May 22, 2012
Another Filipino produced exploitation movie and this time Pam Grier is the evil prison matron. Not the greatest of the genre but mildly entertaining. The ending is particularly anti-climactic.
March 31, 2012
Probably the least of the "women in prison" exploitation movies that I've seen thus far, at least in the pseudo-trilogy that it falls into. Women in Cages reunites much of the main cast from The Big Doll House, but unfortunately, things just aren't as much fun as before. This time around, Pam Grier is on the dirty dikey side of the bars while the rest are on the other side trying to get out. The main thing that bothers me about this movie is Jennifer Gan, who is an absolutely awful actress and I can see why she never had a career after this. Her character is baffelling to me all the time, but it's her acting that really brings things down. She doesn't even get nude in the movie, which is a big no-no when it comes to these types of movies. It's part of the titilation and enjoyment that the actresses will be topless at some point. The movie also doesn't really have much to it and there's nothing as exciting or as engaging as the films that came before and after it.
FilmFanatik
March 31, 2012
½ January 21, 2012
I enjoyed this film pretty well, though it ends on a much different note than I was expecting, which makes it lose a half point, as I was expecting things to play out...um, happier for everyone? Which I suppose is me judging this on my own preconceptions, but there you go.

It's definitely worth a look, but I much prefer Jack Hill's films in this genre.
August 25, 2010
Roger Corman's second or third WOMEN IN PRISON FILM still follows the exact same plot line and formula. A group of women are forced into a prison were they are subjected to indecnt sexual acts, then goup together and break out. But this time unlike the other corman women in prision films were two girls are in trouble one white and the other played Pam Greir is not used in this film due to Grier being recast as the films main villian, Still it's a sleezy good view from corman. 6/10
May 6, 2010
A grandious Women in Prison Movie starring the legendary Pam Grier totally entertaining with a great Soundtrack
February 11, 2010
Despite the promise of its alluring title and the thought of a villainous Pam Grier, Women in Cages is one dull, drab, ugly, and unforgivably boring sexploitation movie. Itâ??s a joyless endeavor and if youâ??re really in the mood for a women in prison movie may I suggest the far superior Big Bird Cage, or better yet, The Big Doll House. I really canâ??t think of one darn good thing to say about this rubbish. Move on. VF.
½ August 29, 2009
This film is a piece of b grade cinema art from the 70's. Not quite of the standard as the Ilsa films but a must for collector's and fans of the genre. I love women in prison films and this is no exception, throw in some medievil torture devices and the warden's "playpen" and you have more than enough to get you through the bad acting.
½ August 23, 2009
a very dark and bleak women in prison movie