Paraiso Travel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paraiso Travel Reviews

March 28, 2010
This is really a very good movie ! It is raw, enduring and in your face ! Sigur Ros' superb music also fits very well...
mvieaddict
½ March 20, 2010
Paraiso Travel showed the struggles Colombian immigrants have to endure as they want to make a living in the United States. The movie portrayed the true reality that people face when they decide to come illegally, which was far from being paradise. The lead character Marlon was lucky enough to find heartwarming people of his own country who took care of him. These Colombian people are like that, they take care of each other. But that's actually another story. The movie showed that this was the land that turned his girlfriend Reina into someone totally different for him. It was a real enjoyable movie. Great performance also by John Leguizamo.
½ March 20, 2010
From Colombia came this marvelous movie Paraiso Travel, which showed the struggles Colombian immigrants have to endure as they want to make a living in the United States. The movie portrayed the true reality that people face when they decide to come illegally, which was far from being paradise. The lead character Marlon was lucky enough to find heartwarming people of his own country who took care of him. These Colombian people are like that, they take care of each other. But that's actually another story. The movie showed that this was the land that turned his girlfriend Reina into someone totally different for him. It was a real enjoyable movie.
½ March 10, 2010
Un poco fuerte! Pero es la cruel realidad! Lo mucho q sufren para poder llegar a US!
February 25, 2010
AH WHY WOULD THEY END IT LIKE THAT!!! I love him he's soooo cute! I love movies like these :D
½ February 18, 2010
Well made film hailing from Colombia. The writing, the acting, the casting, the soundtrack, everything came together just fine in this story about following one's heart only to come to a certain realization. I slept on this one, but I gladly watch anything with the heavenly Ana De La Reguera and that features many of the places I have been to and experiences I have lived.
February 9, 2010
A great movie based on real life. great great!!!
February 4, 2010
very nice piece, i love it
½ January 9, 2010
Colombian couple enters the US illegally. Another illegal aliens in NYC story, only this one is also a romance, and the main character grows a lot from the challenges he faces.
½ December 19, 2009
this story is repeated so much in many movies, it's a good flick // nothing transcendental, just an entertaining movie
December 16, 2009
Besides the horrible ending credit song/sequence, this movie was quite perfect. The story could have been a little bit more deep, but the message behind all that happens is deep enough to make up for this. Powerful ending.
December 10, 2009
Cruel but condescending. All the immoral patch work of illegal immigrants to the US. Except for the narco trafficking, it contains all the cliches of their tragedies, relevant only to those who may relate to them. Cartoonish latina female characters are very colorful, just like it's expected.
½ November 29, 2009
A decent story of a young couple entering the US as illegal immigrants and starting a new life in NYC. A lot of the typical life & death exploits of the trip up to Texas but not as drawn out as in Sin Nombre... the story focused on the lead Marlon tyring to find Reina the girl he came up from Columbia with after he got separated from her in a moment of exhausted frustration with NYC police. Lots of inconsistencies in this movie though kind of ruined it for me. Marlon had a job yet couldn't get a paid for apartment.. ended up sleeping on the street at times yet could afford a trip to Atlanta... and for what, a girl who basically told him to go kill himself.. I'm left asking why? too often to say this was anything more than an average film.. still good enough to recommend though if for anything it's a look into another side of America.
November 28, 2009
Apparently this movie broke box-office records in Colombia and I can see why- because its very good! A gritty, raw, REAL, as real as cancer look into the lives of immigrants wanting to escape their miserable lives and come to United States of America. Simon Brand, the director, did a terrific job in this adapation from Jorge Franco's novel. Paraiso Travel tells the story of Marlon Cruz, a good looking and young Colombian man who motivated by his unscrupulous and insensitive g/f Reina leaves his life in Medellin Colombia to illegaly cross the border and find fortune in New York. The movie starts with the pair of young lovers in New York but during the film you see flashbacks of their perilous journey from Colombia to Guatemala, Mexico and finally to USA. So you see present, past, present, past etc...good technique. Marlon's journey which takes him through seedy strip clubs, dance halls, homeless hostels, and the streets of Jackson Heights ultimately leads him to a place he could never have predicted. This kid got lucky to be alive and to make it in one piece to NY but he gets lost from Reina and so he must fend for himself..This movie won several awards among them: 2008 Jury Award best film Los Angeles Latino Int Film Festival, Audience Award favorite foreign feature Ft Lauderdale Int Film festival 2008, Audience Award Jacksonville Film Festival, and Audience Award narrative feature San Francisco Bay area International Latino film festival 2008. My final thoughts- NEVER, AND I REPEAT NEVER TAKE YOUR CITIZENSHIP FOR GRANTED! GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!! RECOMMENDED!
½ November 27, 2009
first Colombian movie I see with a neat cinematography. The book by Jorge Franco is by far much better than this movie based on the aforementioned novel.
November 19, 2009
Paraiso Travel traces the route familiar to many undocumented Latino immigrants on their way to the States; it also retreads the common themes featured in movies about their experiences.
½ November 10, 2009
One could focus on the story many of us have already seen: the struggles of immigrants trying to make it to America so they can live better lives. Sure, it is a significant part of the story, but I think there is more to offer. The ending is a bit of a drag, but I thought it was pretty solid for at least the first 90 minutes. de la Reguera is stunningly beautiful.
November 7, 2009
que paso con el final????.... no se ...me parecio que cortaron la pelicula :S
November 6, 2009
I like it but i enjoy more the book!
November 5, 2009
Stylishly filmed, the performances are good, the story is nothing special though. The characters are nicely developed. I didn?t always stay interested, it has some slow stretches, but still it?s a decent film.