Brothers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brothers Reviews

September 22, 2015
Only Gyllenhaal's portrait make us live in the movie else, we are completely lost.
September 6, 2015
It's a melodrama with a twist. The added element of PTSD make this movie more than a boring, average melodrama. What also elevates this movie are its FANTASTIC performances from Jake Gyllenhaal, Natalie Portman, and especially Tobey Maguire. This movie surprised me in many ways, especially in its final act where Maguire proves he is a truly underrated actor. It's no masterpiece, but it's worth watching for the performances alone. 8/10
August 13, 2015
As much as I love Gyllenhaal and Maguire, this movie lacks a realistic plot, lacks quality acting, and tortures us for the sake of nothing.
There were some solid messages here and there about family and post war mentality, but not good enough to cover the flaws in this movie.
½ August 7, 2015
What I loved about this film was how emotionally attached I became to the characters. I wanted every single one of them to find happiness and peace. Tobey's performance was heart-wrenching. Gyllenhaal's character's emotional transition with himself and the family was exquisite to watch. It is saddening to see and understand how psychologically damaged the men and women fighting in our armed forces can become.
½ August 2, 2015
This being a war movie I expected more and since there wasn't a whole lot of war aspects In the film I expected more drama, which there wasn't a whole lot of. But I was still happy with the performances and the overall story. I expected more stuff to happen over the course of the whole movie but I was ok with the final product.
½ July 20, 2015
Vaikuttava elokuva sodan vaikutuksista sotilaaseen sekä hänen perheenjäseniinsä...
½ July 19, 2015
Powerful, vibrant, and tightly-executed, Brothers serves as a great testament of Jake Gyllenhaal's acting abilities while simultaneously begging the question as to why Tobey Maguire has faded into the shadows of Hollywood as of late. Brothers doesn't feel fresh or original because it isn't, but the lead performers draw every bit of emotion out of the subject to highlight the powerful message that lies beneath, doing so in a sadly straightforward manner. It moves but never strides, oppresses but never overwhelms, and encourages without ever convincing, and with a less-than-satisfying conclusion, the melodramatic tone of its subtle pacing comes across as overbearing and consequently, disappointing. Nonetheless, it is impossible to resist the gripping pull of emotion that exudes from every corner of the performances on display that truly cause the viewer to sympathize with the film's familiar theme and in the end this factor alone makes Brothers watchable throughout and harrowing in its lasting linger.
July 15, 2015
Feels like a very safe and by the books movie.
June 11, 2015
I don't care if many people agree with me. I freaking loved this film. All 3 performances are brilliant/amazing. Tobey Maguire actually proves he can act here. Not to mention, this film is just depressing. A powerful depiction of ptsd. Highly recommended
June 10, 2015
The trailer for Brothers completely gives away the whole movie. COMPLETELY. If you haven't already, I urge you not to watch it. If you do, you'll have a negative opinion about the movie. I'm sure of it.

Besides that, Brothers is a masterful Cain and Abel story of, well, two brothers. One is happily married with children and one is a low-life. After a traumatic event, the two brothers switch and turn into each other.

The three leads are absolutely brilliant. Tobey Maguire, in general, really steals the show. Say goodbye to Peter Parker! This guy can do serious drama. Natalie Portman is also amazing.
May 10, 2015
Tobey Maguire's performance shines in this movie that may play a little over-dramatic at times but the cast also helps with that .
April 16, 2015
Ed brought it to my attention, now I'm just a little intrigued. Besides, it's got a good cast.
March 31, 2015
Kind of letdown by this. I expected so much more from it. It takes quite to really get into it and ice everything unravels it sort of just abruptly ended leaving a lot of questions. It would have been nice to see the follow up and everything.
March 29, 2015
Tan buena como la versión original danesa de Susanne Bier. Tobey Maguire está impresionante, incluyendo las actuaciones de Jake Gyllenhaal y Natalie Portman. Y qué mejor que con música de U2.
March 2, 2015
Looks decent enough.
February 16, 2015
Brothers is a film that has terrific acting and it is well made but it does suffer from a lot of flaws.The movie is very predictable and cliche were it gets stupid after a while.The movie is not a bad movie,but I felt with better execution to the story it could've been much better.Overall Brothers is a Brilliantly acted,well made film but it's to cliche for its own good. Grade B-
½ January 31, 2015
Bok Toby maguire can't act for shit!
January 18, 2015