One Week - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

One Week Reviews

June 8, 2016
I enjoyed this movie very much. He drove his bike across Canada, starting from Toronto, stopping at many towns --- even Willy the Walleye, and Terry Fox!
½ March 27, 2016
Cheesy and cookie-cutter. Still put together well though and is probably the best Canada-appreciation movie out there.
February 26, 2016
I love this movie. The story, the feelings it evokes. It's well-written, and Joshua Jackson does an exceptional job. The landscape and the music alone make my heart swell, being Canadian as all-get-out. This is a movie that everyone should see, in my opinion.
January 16, 2016
One of my favorite Canadian films.
½ December 1, 2015
Reasonably enjoyable easy to watch and meaningful film.
October 5, 2015
The utterly boring and omnipresent voice-over of this film kills it.
June 13, 2015
this is one of the best movies I've ever seen it connects me to my country and gives me pride, I think this movie perfectly describes Canada and it's essence
½ February 17, 2015
sad but unlifting. and undeniably canadian
½ January 21, 2015
Inspiring. This movie is not for everyone. This movie is for those who enjoy reflecting on life. Ben Tyler, who has been diagnosed with a type of stage four cancer, decides to hit the open road instead of seeking treatment. Along the way, he meets several people that help him reevaluate his relationship with his fiancée Samantha, his job and his dream of becoming a writer.
December 28, 2014
It's a good road trip movie
December 24, 2014
Between a 5/10 and 6/10, this Canadian road movie of self-discovery is kinda aimless, pleasant and bland.
December 3, 2014
A very uplifting terminal illness movie. Canada steals the show.
August 10, 2014
A surprisingly pleasant road trip film using an old contraption of terminal sickness leading to examining life. The sights and sounds of Canada is also a bonus.
August 5, 2014
Beautiful shots of Canada and Liane Balaban's fitfully broken-hearted performance are really the only highlights here. Michael McGowan's aimless interpretation of existence's meaning seems to have been cryogenically frozen and implemented throughout every second of "One Week". Frozen incoherence doesn't go far, and it finds itself entirely irremovable as the film plods along. So pedestrian everything seems, as a movie is being made about life-important catharsis, and yet every character is almost completely incompatible with the idea that living may be about a little more than doing what you want before you bite it.
July 5, 2014
I enjoyed it largely because I want to travel across Canada myself. Inspirational, though very slow and bland at times.
May 20, 2014
Wow.
What an amazing movie about life, death and the great landscape that makes up Canada. I cried throughout this movie. For what has been lost and what has been found and what will never be discovered.
Joshua Jackson is just brilliant in this. He shows here that he is so much more than Pacey from Dawson's Creek. He is an actor to be reckoned with. At points in this movie, I had to remind myself that it was a film and not a true-life story I was watching.
"IF you had one week...what book would you write?"
March 25, 2014
One Week is an interesting collage of scenes, ideas, thoughts, feelings, and oddities all trying to persuade meaning in life from acceptance of death. But I'm not sure that the sum is greater than the parts in this case. Jackson delivers a good performance and is the most interesting part of the film. But the voice over narration and cartoon like structure distracted me more often than not. Is this a farce or a tragedy? I kept asking myself. Sometimes trying to "sweeten the medicine" isn't the best approach. There's some great cinematography, production design and music. But at times it felt more like a midnight marathon of music videos. All in all, I'm glad I saw One Week, and I'll see how much of it sticks with me over time.
½ September 17, 2013
Although it's a self-described "Love Letter To Canada" by the Director, this isn't just about the landscape, there's a very real and very engaging plot about existential angst. Joshua Jackson is funny and poignant, and he needed to be because the movie is almost entirely him alone on the open road. If you're Canadian it's a MUST see, and if you're not I think the themes are universal enough for you to enjoy.
½ July 14, 2013
Such an underrated beauty of a movie! It was like the Canadian version of Into The Wild, which meant so much more to me, especially all the patriotic Canadian symbols in it, went straight to my heart :') I love the over-all of it, and also the message of continuing seeking your true self, but the story had its dents, which I think lacked the 5 stars for me. It's one of those movies that came at the right time =) Long live pure Canadian movies, more pleaseeee!
May 17, 2013
As one critic observed, "not much in the way of great epiphanies," but that is one of the reasons I loved it. Where is it written that every person who learns their death is closer than they thought, will have grandiose realizations that turns everything they think they know of the world on its head? I liked this movie for its quietness, allowing the viewer to have their own experiences, alongside the main character, within the cinematography of the incredible Canadian landscape.