Wuthering Heights - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wuthering Heights Reviews

December 5, 2015
Remember as being good. Not as good as original
½ October 21, 2015
Andrew Lincoln should stick to the zombies.
March 16, 2015
Great movie! :) And Tom Hardy is amazing! :) I feel like re-reading the book now...:)
½ March 8, 2015
Well made and beautiful (thanks to Tom Hardy) movie, but depressing so I give it 2.5 stars. 2nd generation Cathy is able to fight off the obsessed, codependent, bullying Heathcliff. Her mother Catherine wanted to but could not, instead letting guilt overcome her. This story does not leave a good impression of adoption and foster care.
February 7, 2015
This was a fairly good adaption of a great book. It followed the story well, except that it left some minor things out and it made some of the characters older at times then they were supposed to be.
September 8, 2014
One of Tom Hardy's best roles. He nails Heathcliff. You can see the genuine love between him and his now partner Charlotte.
½ June 25, 2014
A beautiful well played out novel, with the perfect actors, who portrayed the characters in the story effortlessly.
June 9, 2014
I've never read the classic book, but I know there are numerous film adaptions. This is the only one I've seen and I really enjoyed this PBS Masterpiece Classic. It's an intensely tragic drama and Tom Brady gives a brilliant performance. The acting all around was great, wonderfully shot and the story is excellent. Really causes me to want to read the book.
June 2, 2014
A decent (albeit truncated) adaptation of the novel. I'd have loved a full length version without time constraints! The writers did augment the adaptation to make Cathy and Heathcliff more sympathetic. This was a good call. Seeing Wuthering Heights on screen made me acutely aware of Victorian class differences and how these constraints contributed to Heathcliff's bitterness and nihilism. Not as good as Pride and Prejudice, but Masterpiece Theatre does a pretty good job of adapting a beloved classic. No small task, to be sure!
June 1, 2014
Not my favorite Wuthering Heights movie but even though its super depressing Heathcliffe and Cathy are my favorite love story....
April 23, 2014
Dark and gothic romance with gorgeous and carefully calculated performances!
March 2, 2014
Plenty of great performances from the strong cast on show make this, rather slow-to-start, adaptation of the classic work live up to its name as the story develops with fire and vigour.

The best reason to watch this one is probably the relationship between Hardy and Lincoln as they both bring powerful and fierce performances to their, much in opposition, characters. Lancashire and Gorman also give stand-out performances and most of the characters featured here just seem to be in good hands really.

The story itself (this film served as my introduction to it) was very much what I was hoping for- dark, emotional, complex, and intense. There's some great dialogue and it just feels finely-crafted as a whole, though I feel that the story would have been better served had it featured in chronological order as opposed to beginning near the end as it were.

Due to its moody and brooding nature, I imagine that quite a few people will find it overbearing but I'd recommend it to anyone anyway as it has the depth of emotion to leave an impact big enough to justify all of the drama.

Length-wise I think things are about right here- it doesn't seem to drag on but I imagine that it doesn't skimp on the material either so it feels like a strong adaptation overall.

I'd argue that the film could have done with some more oomph visually as, while dour and dingy, the setting never felt particularly gothic or tragic to me as I think it should have but it's all minor quibbling really.

A strong telling of a story that's certainly worth your time and the cast manage to make this film version of it worth a watch also. If you've no real interest in the cast though then I might suggest reading the book instead as, while it's a fine adaptation, the story just feels more suited towards the page than the screen at times but I should read the book before I say that, I suppose.
½ March 1, 2014
Classics are generally inaccessible because of the dated language. Actually I loved this adaptation.
October 16, 2013
An absolute masterpiece! They did a remarkable job on the adaptation of Emily Bronte's novel! Tom Hardy, as always, is just fantastic! Beautiful locations, too!
September 15, 2013
Never read the book, and this is the first filmed interpretation I ever saw. Quite impressive. Tom Hardy's voice is identical with Bane's in The Dark Knight Rises.
½ September 9, 2013
In my opinion the only adaptation that gets close to portraying Heathcliff as shown in the novel. Average as a film, above average as an adaptation.
May 11, 2013
Very good and entertaining adaptation.
But Ralph Fiennes was much better as Heathcliff
April 26, 2013
What a wonderful, romantic movie !!
April 18, 2013
Beautiful and the most truthful adaptation I've seen of this spectacular book. Tom Hardy deserves all the awards.
April 17, 2013
Tom Hardy is my favourite Heathcliff yet. Running time allows proper development of all vital relationships. Quality version from ITV.