Despicable Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Despicable Me Reviews

½ December 2, 2016
With a nice animation style, a charming story and enough to enjoy for all ages, this film manages to entertain and be enjoyable.
November 25, 2016
Didn't even want to watch the whole thing
November 20, 2016
A movie for all family
½ November 14, 2016
Loved it! Witty, funny, and worth the watch.
November 5, 2016
A fresh new kind of animation people can be looking for!
½ October 14, 2016
To be honest I feel like the girls look cuter than the minions. Gru is a fun guy. A pretty good try for Universal before grouped up with DreamWorks help. It kinda sucks that Illumination entertainment cannot release something better than this and its sequel. Looks like Universal's theme park is stuck with this franchise and Shrek before the DreamWorks' flagships like Dreamworks Dragons, king fu panda, Madagascar, and maybe Trolls, Peabody, The Croods, and Rise of the Guardians come in.
½ September 25, 2016
it is amazing the minions are funny and the story is great
½ September 18, 2016
Funny, action-packed and surprisingly heartwarming and thoughtful, Despicable Me's talented voice cast, 3-D effects and fresh change of pace by having a villain as the main protagonist make the film entertaining even if at times, Universal is trying too hard to be like Pixar.
½ September 12, 2016
Despicable Me is hilarious and a great family movie! The girls, the minions, and Gru are very funny in their own unique way. AWESOME!!!
½ August 19, 2016
This movie is one of the funniest kids movies not from Pixar, and I think the minions actually serve a purpose in this movie, unlike their self-titled spin-off
½ August 16, 2016
What happened to the good old days when animated movies used to be mindless forms of entertainment? Maybe it's not the movies. Maybe it's me. As I've gotten older, I'm noticing these beautifully-rendered movies are coming equipped with some great messages, messages that pack a powerful punch. Despicable Me is no exception to that rule as it enforces the power of love and makes us question the importance of what we truly value in our lives.

I know, we're talking about a kids movie here, not an Oscar-nominee. Kids movies are supposed to be filled with highly-imaginative characters and insane fun. This movie not only harbors both, but doesn't ruin the aforementioned message in the process. After a short, fun scene in Egypt, you're quickly introduced to Gru, powerful supervillain bent on performing the greatest heist of all time. It doesn't take long to realize how big of a bad guy he really is. He's a jerk, but he's a fun kind of jerk a la the first Iron Man. He's aided in his conquests by the old and clever Dr. Nefario, but primarily by his little minions. There's so much going on with the minions even when there's only a handful on screen at a time. I've watched this movie multiple times now and still manage to find new things happening in the background that freshly entertain me. Despite their hilarious heroics, little Agnes steals the show.

Agnes is one of three sisters who live in what appears to be an orphanage. Not giving away too much, Gru decides to adopt them in his efforts to complete his grand heist. Seeing the interactions between a hermit and three vibrants kids had me cracking up and anxious to see what kind of craziness would ensue next. Agnes is the type of you kid you always want around because they're so cute, but you have to watch with three eyes because they're so unpredictable.

It's the story of two worlds when it comes to animated movies. Because you have artists capturing the perfect shots at the perfect time, it should be easy to do an animated movie well. Unfortunately, there are some cases where these movies focus too much on trying to get a little kid to laugh and not so much on quality which would actually appease an entire audience, old and young. Despicable Me never falls victim to that mistake. In fact, it goes in quite the opposite direction doing almost everything right. It's the kind of movie I'll be watching for years to come still loving it like it was the first time. I give it a 98.
August 16, 2016
This is hilarious, exciting, and heart-warming.
½ August 12, 2016
it was great but l nothing wrong what illumination entertainment has more
better box office success.
½ August 12, 2016
I don't like this movie, sorry. It is too silly, too predictable, and sometimes just downright boring.
August 8, 2016
The bit of heart that is included in the film turns an otherwise boring manufactured CG product into a reasonable watch.
August 1, 2016
One of the best animated movies.
July 24, 2016
Will make even adults laugh.
½ July 20, 2016
Great kids movie, can't wait for the new one!
½ July 7, 2016
Minions are great and so is Gru's eventually love for his kids