Despicable Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Despicable Me Reviews

½ January 15, 2017
Gru is amazing but this is take much hard on them, it nothing special some other control main advantages what another or not, l am not to be fault this is good movie.
January 15, 2017
Ffyfffcgg cczbggghvgvgvv v. V. G the same same time
January 13, 2017
A good film! I like the comedy, animation, story, and it has some surprises!
½ January 1, 2017
A good film needs to be enjoyable by children and adults, and while sometimes witty and entertaining, the second and third acts are easy to sleep through.
December 26, 2016
I don't who can hate this movie, but this is better than Frozen!
½ December 18, 2016
It's eh. Nothing stands out really, it's just bland and forgettable. It's a good distraction with plenty of random humor to make Little Timmy squeal. It serves it's purpose. Lord knows why it needs sequels.
December 12, 2016
When Gru steals the moon above the set of Despicable Me, tides stop, surfers fall, and we enter an imaginary world close enough to reality to comment on it. Throughout the film, the line between "good" and "evil" is blurred, leaving the viewer to question their own assumptions regarding criminality.

Gru, a supervillain who dreamed of stealing the moon since childhood, adopts three orphaned girls to execute his grand scheme. As the film unfolds, we see why the cold exoskeleton of this world-class criminal was formed: a lifelong search for his mother's approval. And as LED frequencies illuminate my son in slack-jawed awe, I wonder briefly why I've allowed us to spend one of our precious moments together in front of a screen.

As I chew over a microcosm of my parenting, the film trails this paradigm-shifting heist and I find in the plot a deeper reason to the evening's entertainment. The subversion of reality makes it both preposterous and worthwhile to put critical thought into the plot of Despicable Me, the first collaboration between Chris Renaud and Pierre Coffin. In 2010 they turned Sergio Pablo's storyline into $500 million profit and launched the first film of the Despicable Me franchise. I can't help but look with excitement into my son's future, a place where creative visions become wellsprings of wealth with just the right combination of vision, collaboration, and discipline. I want him to learn that he is not a consumer of culture but a producer of it, and that relaxation can include critical thought. I jot down notes while he reaches for popcorn.

Abstraction plays a crucial role in problem solving. By humanizing the characters typically presented as villains, the film proposes that there are no bad people, just bad actions. And the simplicity of this value holds transformative power for many issues we face in the "real world." Perhaps - between popcorn and tooth - a kernel of truth slips in, too.
½ December 2, 2016
With a nice animation style, a charming story and enough to enjoy for all ages, this film manages to entertain and be enjoyable.
November 25, 2016
Didn't even want to watch the whole thing
November 20, 2016
A movie for all family
½ November 14, 2016
Loved it! Witty, funny, and worth the watch.
November 5, 2016
A fresh new kind of animation people can be looking for!
½ October 14, 2016
To be honest I feel like the girls look cuter than the minions. Gru is a fun guy. A pretty good try for Universal before grouped up with DreamWorks help. It kinda sucks that Illumination entertainment cannot release something better than this and its sequel. Looks like Universal's theme park is stuck with this franchise and Shrek before the DreamWorks' flagships like Dreamworks Dragons, king fu panda, Madagascar, and maybe Trolls, Peabody, The Croods, and Rise of the Guardians come in.
½ September 25, 2016
it is amazing the minions are funny and the story is great
½ September 18, 2016
Funny, action-packed and surprisingly heartwarming and thoughtful, Despicable Me's talented voice cast, 3-D effects and fresh change of pace by having a villain as the main protagonist make the film entertaining even if at times, Universal is trying too hard to be like Pixar.
½ September 12, 2016
Despicable Me is hilarious and a great family movie! The girls, the minions, and Gru are very funny in their own unique way. AWESOME!!!
½ August 19, 2016
This movie is one of the funniest kids movies not from Pixar, and I think the minions actually serve a purpose in this movie, unlike their self-titled spin-off
½ August 16, 2016
What happened to the good old days when animated movies used to be mindless forms of entertainment? Maybe it's not the movies. Maybe it's me. As I've gotten older, I'm noticing these beautifully-rendered movies are coming equipped with some great messages, messages that pack a powerful punch. Despicable Me is no exception to that rule as it enforces the power of love and makes us question the importance of what we truly value in our lives.

I know, we're talking about a kids movie here, not an Oscar-nominee. Kids movies are supposed to be filled with highly-imaginative characters and insane fun. This movie not only harbors both, but doesn't ruin the aforementioned message in the process. After a short, fun scene in Egypt, you're quickly introduced to Gru, powerful supervillain bent on performing the greatest heist of all time. It doesn't take long to realize how big of a bad guy he really is. He's a jerk, but he's a fun kind of jerk a la the first Iron Man. He's aided in his conquests by the old and clever Dr. Nefario, but primarily by his little minions. There's so much going on with the minions even when there's only a handful on screen at a time. I've watched this movie multiple times now and still manage to find new things happening in the background that freshly entertain me. Despite their hilarious heroics, little Agnes steals the show.

Agnes is one of three sisters who live in what appears to be an orphanage. Not giving away too much, Gru decides to adopt them in his efforts to complete his grand heist. Seeing the interactions between a hermit and three vibrants kids had me cracking up and anxious to see what kind of craziness would ensue next. Agnes is the type of you kid you always want around because they're so cute, but you have to watch with three eyes because they're so unpredictable.

It's the story of two worlds when it comes to animated movies. Because you have artists capturing the perfect shots at the perfect time, it should be easy to do an animated movie well. Unfortunately, there are some cases where these movies focus too much on trying to get a little kid to laugh and not so much on quality which would actually appease an entire audience, old and young. Despicable Me never falls victim to that mistake. In fact, it goes in quite the opposite direction doing almost everything right. It's the kind of movie I'll be watching for years to come still loving it like it was the first time. I give it a 98.
August 16, 2016
This is hilarious, exciting, and heart-warming.