Despicable Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Despicable Me Reviews

½ July 22, 2017
An incredible cute movie, in a quite predictable story. Quite funny, especially at the beginning, with the character supposedly to be evil. Definitely worth watching, but maybe it will not be a movie one will remember in time. Pity, though! I loved the minions :-)
July 20, 2017
One of the funniest animated films out there, and definitely an one of the most adorable ones too.
½ July 20, 2017
I know there are many people that like this franchise, but I'm sorry I just don't get it. From the irritating jokes, the animation, the Minions it's all just horrendous! If you like the franchise, that's cool, but it's just not for me.
½ July 19, 2017
Despicable Me features lovable characters and stunningly elegant animation, but fails to produce a timeless film, and will ultimately drift into the large collection of forgettable movies.
July 19, 2017
Funny and good movie
July 19, 2017
Provides a great story and characters that you will love by the end, especially the minions. Highly recommended, especially for kids
July 17, 2017
Few animated movies are as legit as this one for the entire familly.
July 14, 2017
Yawasdfgghuyipoiugbvcgfdwauijjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjiiiiiiiiiiiiikooookjdnsxzbnm,lkjjhhhhhhhgggggghhhhhhfdbbgvW
July 12, 2017
Such an adorable and funny story that introduced the world to Gru, Margo, Edith, Agnes, and the MINIONS!!! And the world is better for it.
July 12, 2017
Eh. It had it's moments. I hated the plot with the little girls. It just seemed so cliche and predictable. But, I guess it's a kid movie and I shouldn't dig too deep. But, it was entertaining and it made me laugh a few times. Didn't really see the point in the minions though. But, I can see how it appeals to everyone.
July 10, 2017
I remembered after I saw Despicable Me the first time [when it came out] that is was very...okay. And after watching it again? I wasn't really wrong.
There are two general consensuses of this film: one being "it's a good kids movie!" and the other being "it's just a soulless market campaign for Minions merch". So, where do I fall? Somewhere in the middle.

I would say that ironically, the Minions (the biggest selling point of this film) were one of the weakest parts of this film. A good chunk of the 'comedy' in this family 'comedy' relies too heavily on them. The main problem here is that most of the time they're just not given funny things to do. We're expected to laugh just because "Hey! They're doing yoga and they're weird!" or "Hey! They did something that was a funny fad 7 years ago!". And when it's not that, it's; Shrek-esque jokes, loud obnoxious noises, making a face, or saying something that makes no sense.--Something that'd only get a laugh out of a very young child. Though to be fair, that was one of the major-target audiences.
It's a shame that most of the humor relies on the Minions when they only really do a couple actually-funny things, because the rest of the jokes and humor in this film IS funny and well-done! The black comedy with Gru is done really well, and it's really entertaining to see just how relentlessly mean and remorseless he is. The beautiful animation helps with this effect juxtaposing Gru's actions with a bright, colorful world, though Carell carries this film (as Gru) with his great energy and deliveries. The little girls can just get annoying to some, though Agnes is just adorable.
Sadly, Carell and even the enjoyable heist/action scenes aren't enough to save this film from an abundance of overused cliches (like: the 'cool' grandma, the 'embarrassing parent' and the 'big misunderstanding').

But overall, I'd say there's definitely enough good in this movie to maybe check it out. If you're able to sit through a lot of jokes you've probably seen before to get to the good stuff, it's worth it.
½ July 9, 2017
What a fun film about family coming together. While this movie does follow some of the same tropes as past films, it does so in a way that keeps you smiling. The girls were cast perfectly and complement Gru perfectly. The minions are such a fun addition to this wild little family. Mindless worker bees that don't do much more than assist Gru with his villainy, and raise the girls. The struggle that Gru has to stay the world's top villain or to grow into a father. It is a great family film that everyone can enjoy. I employ you to seek out this film and enjoy it with your family.
½ July 7, 2017
They story is heartwarming and the main character is interesting.
July 7, 2017
This movie and s very funny and entertaining! It's a good movie for people of all ages, and you can watch it again and again. But I probably wouldn't bother with the second and third ones, their a little off the walls.
July 7, 2017
I love this movie! It was so adorable, so charming & the writing was absolutely terrific! I love the animation & the characters (including the minions) were all fantastic! A MUST WATCH! ??
July 4, 2017
Wow, illuminations first movie "Despicable me has a great plot and storyline and of course its hilarious with loads of fun and humor that does actually fit its source material and with a cast that is very talented and of course it is family friendly and it's something no one has thought of it's new and I could watch it loads of times and always see something new.
July 3, 2017
It's a pretty cute movie about family and how even the villainous can become good. It's also pretty funny, especially the minions and the little girl, Agnes.
July 2, 2017
My second to last favorite in the illumination movies.
July 1, 2017
Plenty of neat little touches and some good gags, it's all wonderfully animated but unfortunately this is more cute than funny or intelligent.
Solid family viewing and the minions certainly amuse the kids.
June 30, 2017
This movie brought illumination to life. I remember seeing this and having a lot of fun watching it. I never really expected it to spawn a whole franchise. This movie is just so dang likable. To me this was like the Toy Story but for illumination. This is the movie that started it all. Full of funny moments, likable characters, and a good story, this is what kids movies should be. 7 years later, I still have a great time watching this movie. A+