Despicable Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Despicable Me Reviews

½ July 5, 2010
Minions!!!! I want a minion!!!!
½ August 5, 2010
At a time when we had the likes of 'Toy Story 3' and 'How to Train Your Dragon', a time when Pixar and Dreamworks ruled supreme (Pixar winning of course), along came Illumination Entertainment and gave us this supervillain animation.

The plot is pretty unoriginal really, jumping on the over used superhero theme. A supervillain is getting old and rusty, losing his flare for evil, at the same time a younger new supervillain threatens his status. So he devises a plan to steal the moon, the greatest feat of supervillainy he can come up with. But in order to carry out this plan he must enlist (adopt) the help of three very young little girls.

The whole superhero concept has been popular now for quite some time and in CGI animation its no different. Along with other similar flicks such as 'The Incredibles' and 'Megamind' the whole idea is beginning to feel a little swamped I can't deny. This film mainly centres on the supervillains point of view, how he lives, his daily habits, his job being an evil mastermind etc...a nice angle that was original until later in the year when 'Megamind' came out.

At his side are an army of little yellow minions that look like old 8-bit videogame characters not too dissimilar from Pac-Man. Now at first these little guys are quite amusing with their prat falls, face slapping and general simple minded tomfoolery, but it wears thin fast. Their whole routine is the same all the way through the film and I'm sure even kids may tire of it. I'm not even sure what the hell they are suppose to be seeing as all other characters in this film are human.

I really liked the initial idea of this film and the start, I loved Gru's big gothic house squeezed in between a line of regular houses. I liked his outrageously over sized supervillain vehicle, his little demon-like dog and the interior of his lair which was like a cross between James Bond and Hammer horror. Lots of ingenious gadgets, secret doors/trap doors etc...in a thick gothic German expressionist-like design.

Unfortunately the film becomes way too sickly and sweet for me (yes I know its for kids mainly). After he adopts the three little girls and starts to realise he enjoys them being around, losing sight of his evilness, it just becomes quite lame frankly. The film isn't sure what it wants to be or where its going, even the humour begins to lag.

In the end all we're left with is a semi decent animated film which does look glorious no doubt, but with a plot that can't decide which route to go down. None of the characters are particularly interesting or fun, Steve Carell doesn't help make the evil Gru any more memorable and the old scientist character that works with him is dreadful! He's actually quite scary looking I think, plus with that awful cockney accent from Brand...utter fail.

Very wishy washy kids film that struggles to keep you interested and in no way competes with the big guns. Clearly trying to be zany and full of fresh ideas but you can see its not really worked out, its not a bad film, its just rather flat and anti climatic. How on earth this film was popular I don't know, the sequel was no surprise but I just don't see the hype over this.
½ August 19, 2010
Am I the only one or is there anyone else who didn't laugh at all watching this? I felt like slitting my wrists with so many awful physical gags and ridiculous jokes, and it is unbearable to see all that excessive fluffiness and sentimentality. Please, Universal, don't try to be Pixar.
August 30, 2015
Although the characters are all kinda annoying, the little girls are cute and ground what is otherwise daft Warner Brothers style violent Americana. What really makes this animation though is a really punchy soundtrack that sticks in your head.
TheDudeLebowski65
June 9, 2014
Animated features are always a treat to watch, especially after there have been several memorable films in the genre. Despicable Me is a superb film that is beautifully animated and boasts some standout talent that voices the characters. The result is a highly entertaining movie that is fun from start to finish. Add to that it has a very good story, and good jokes, and you have a worthwhile film that is well worth your time. I really enjoy animated features, and Despicable Me is yet another solid genre film, well worth seeing. What surprised me as well was that this film wasn't made by Pixar and the filmmakers were able to craft something just as good as many of Pixar's films. With plenty of comedic moments, great animation, and phenomenal voice work, Despicable Me is a superb animated feature that is fun for anyone of all ages. The film has plenty of charm as well, and with that, it's where it has most of its strength. The film also has a simple, yet effective story, and I've always said they make for far better movies because they don't overcomplicate things. Despicable Me is a film that uses simple storytelling with great on-screen gags to make the film what it is, and in turn, this is a superb animated film that ranks among the finest films in this genre. This is highly entertaining from start to finish, and like I said, it's a film that will appeal to all age groups and it's a memorable affair from start to finish that is original, very funny and well made. In terms of animated films, this is a film that exceeds expectations and it's one that has enough momentum to keep you entertained from start to finish.
Daniel Mumby
March 24, 2014
When talking about the film business, there are two kinds of 'trickle' effects that can be observed. One is the 'trickle-up' of talent from the lowest rungs of cinema, exemplified by the career of Wally Pfister: the man who started out shooting straight-to-video erotic thrillers for Greg Dark is now Christopher Nolan's cinematographer-of-choice and a director in his own right. The other is the 'trickle-down' effect, to borrow a term from Adam Smith, in which the characteristics of the most commercially successful films become mirrored and replicated in lower-budget, less prestigious offerings.

It is appropriate to approach Despicable Me in light of the latter effect. The continuing acclaim and popularity of PIXAR films has raised (or at least changed) the standard of what an animated film should do, setting a bar in terms of visual ambition and narrative depth. Of course, not every animated film has met that standard purely as a result of PIXAR being around, but the desire to replicate PIXAR's success through imitation has led to some surprisingly good results. In this case, their influence has turned would could otherwise be completely mediocre into a perfectly passable and charming 90 minutes.

This becomes more of an achievement when you consider that Despicable Me comes from Chris Melanandri, producer of the highly lucrative Ice Age series. Mark Kermode once derided this series, seeing it as a part of what he called "the death of narrative cinema". In his view, these were films whose plots were inconsequential: they consisted of a series of bits which were humorous in a self-contained way but which you could watch in any order, thereby rendering what narrative there was either meaningless or pointless.

To be fair to Kermode (and other critics who shared his view), the narrative of Despicable Me is pretty thin. Its central McGuffin, of Gru trying to steal the Moon, is a villain-of-the-week plan in scale and ambition, that would have been explored in just as much detail in an episode of Doctor Who or any other sci-fi serial. All the other aspects of the plot are either there to pad out this eventual action (e.g. stealing the shrink ray) or trying to put some meat on the main character's bones, with varying degrees of success.

In addition to a thin plot, there are a lot of aspects which are derivative. Showing the action from the villains' point of view is nothing new, nor is the idea of a villains' league: the Austin Powers series is practically based on these concepts. Gru's lab is visually similar to Monsters, Inc., with its factory aesthetic and lots of underlings running around with various bits of machinery. The machines that Gru employes are influenced not only by the Bond series but moreso by Wallace & Gromit: while his creations lack the quirky British character of Nick Park, their bulbous designs and peculiar shapes owe a clear debt to the work of Aardman.

The emotional arc of Despicable Me is also pretty formulaic. As soon as Gru first encounters the three children, we have a pretty good idea as to how their relationship will take shape and where we will all end up. There's nothing inherently wrong with telling a familiar story, provided that the filmmakers make the effort to say something new within their set parameters or at least put a distinctive stamp on the storytelling. Despicable Me partially succeeds, but it does rely on cuteness and novelty to cover up its more well-worn aspects.

Unlike PIXAR's output, Despicable Me is being pitched at an audience of young children rather than a family audience per se. There are a number of 'grown-up' jokes shoved in there Dreamworks-style (the reference to Lehman Brothers, for instance), but in general it makes no bones about its target audience. Its comedy is driven by broad characterisation, slapstick and other physical humour, most of which is provided by the minions and the various mishaps that befall them. It's therefore no surprise that the film is less memorable or rewarding than the likes of Toy Story and Finding Nemo; it attempts to emulate their success but has a very different idea of what constitutes a family film.

While PIXAR's visual and technological innovations have been widely taken up by the industry, their notion of a family film has become admired but not universally imitated. While PIXAR believe a family film is one that is clever and sophisticated enough for both adults and children (assumingly rightfully that children are bright and curious about the world), Dreamworks' attitude is that a family film has one lot of jokes for the adults (e.g. reference humour) and another for the children (e.g. fart jokes) running side by side. This film drifts towards the Dreamworks approach, but lacks the cynicism associated with some of Jeffrey Katzenberg's lazier offerings.

Everything that has been said so far would seem to paint Despicable Me as a failure, a slice of paint-by-numbers mediocrity which, like the Ice Age films, is completely forgettable. But there are a number of aspects to it which are memorable or worthy of praise, and ultimately the film succeeds on an emotional level. As much as we are conscious of its derivative or overly familiar aspects, either during or after watching it, the film does come through on the strength of its comedy and the heart-warming nature of its characters.

Despite the central plot being rather thin, the film is narratively interesting in the way that it characterises Gru. It's quite unusual in mainstream cinema to have a film about single parenting in which the man takes the lead; usually women are depicted as the more traditionally compassionate, sensitive sex, and raising children is not the done thing for 'Hollywood Man' to do. You won't find the levels of insight here that you might find in Kramer vs. Kramer or even Mrs. Doubtfire, but the emotional developments do ring true.

Much of this is down to the voice cast, who are either playing against type or being ably reined in by the directors. Steve Carell has often been very irritating, playing grating, mean-spirited and obnoxious characters which he believes are much funnier than they actually are. But here, there's a playfulness to him, a sense of welcome mischief which makes his more rambling bits of dialogue seem less like a wise-cracking stand-up and more like a real person.

Likewise, Pierre Coffin and Chris Renaud deserve huge credit for getting a controlled performance out of Russell Brand. In his live-action work, such as St. Trinian's and the remake of Arthur, Brand has often seemed like a real-life Jack Sparrow - a man of endless, directionless energy, hell-bent on showing off and built on little more than distracting mannerisms. Here, on the other hand, he's completely unrecognisable, turning everything right down to make Dr. Nefario into a poignant, funny and likeable character.

However well the film may stack up against PIXAR, there's little denying that Despicable Me is funny. The slapstick humour is well-timed and inventively choreographed, and the repetitive, uniform nature of the minions provides the perfect means of trying different gags, like the soldiers with the exploding gun in Sleeper. The minions are cute and endearing, causing us to view them as more than cannon fodder, and the physical gags are pure Looney Tunes, right down to the minion floating in space and struggling to dodge the rocket.

The film is further helped by its visuals, which are brightly colourful and inviting. The dominance of primary colours in the colour palette gives the constant impression that we are there to enjoy ourselves, and the distinctive yellow of the minions is a possible nod to The Simpsons, which puts us in the same situation. Equally, the film doesn't feel the need to overpower us with visual trickery, and even though it was created and presented in 3D, there are very few moments of deliberately pointing out at the audience, either with objects or with the characters.

Despicable Me is an enjoyable and competent children's animation which disguises its numerous flaws with a warm atmosphere and lots of laughs. It falls well short of the standard set by PIXAR in both its story and emotional complexity, but still manages to present something which is distinctive and memorable in its own way. It's not going to challenge John Lasseter and co. any time soon, but it's a perfectly pleasant diversion.
½ March 9, 2014
This is one hilarious film. The story centres around Gru, a villain who is forced to become somewhat of a father figure to three orphaned children while trying to execute a plot to steal the Moon. Gru's army of minions steal the show, but the jokes are non-stop and the story is heartfelt.
The Gandiman
November 18, 2013
A surprisingly charming, albeit predictable, film with confident voice performances from Steve Carrell, Jason Segal and Russell Brand.

The film wisely exploits the popular formula of other successful animated films. Funny sidekick a la Shrek donkey? You get thousands of hilariously cute minions. Menacing but goofy villain a la Coyote? Vector epitomizes goofy ineptness without sacrificing his villainy. Add relatable (to kids) characters with three young girls - the older, wiser, mature one, the tomboy-ish middle child and the precocious kid. And you've got quite a good time.

Its predictability drags it down a bit as there's a lack of surprises or unique situations - but "Despicable Me" is definitely a treat.
½ May 29, 2010
I have nothing to complain about here, however, it has been done in so many movies before, that it seems like a recap of all the great kids films mashed into one. I loved this film down to it's core, and it's extremely funny throughout. With great laughs throughout and a tender story arch that will put a smile on people's face of all ages. The Minion's are really what stand out as the funniest part of this film, due to their own language and mannerisms. Steve Carell really changes his voice for the role and does a bang up job. This is not (by all means) the greatest kids film of all time or anything, but as exactly that, it's one of the best animated films to come out in a long time. "Despicable Me" is not perfect, but I love it in almost every way. It's fantastic fun!
michael e.
½ October 30, 2010
going into this film i wasn't really expecting much, i was expecting it to just be another animated film for kids over the summer but surprisingly this film blew me away. The children in the film are hilarious and did great jobs especially Miranda cosgrove because she's always good at playing kid roles ide say shes one of the best of her generation. but where this movie shines is the comedy, Steve carrel and the minions are the horsepower of this movies engine.
July 23, 2013
An average, if really pretty forgettable though still mildly entertaining story concerning the world's top villain (voiced by Steve Carell), and how he feels as though he must step up his game by stealing the moon after someone has stolen the ancient pyramids from their resting grounds. The plot, and movie for that matter, are very strange and more geared towards a younger audience which desires slapstick humor. It does not have that far-reaching grasp to draw all audiences in the way the "Toy Story" movies did. But, it's still not bad, it's just not an automatic recommendation. If you have kids they should love it, adults will probably think it's just "okay".
½ July 7, 2013
Well-done and engaging. Delightfully light-hearted. Amusing for adults without descending to stupid potty humor (a la Shrek). Great animation.
½ March 13, 2011
Totally a social allegory for Asian children sweat shop laborers.
January 27, 2011
****
I'll never forget the first time I saw a trailer for this with the Minions. I immediately downloaded their laugh and used it as a ring tone. Those little yellow guys had me hooked and I knew I would love this movie. Took my nephew to see it in 3D(along with his Dad) and we loved it. Rewatching it now with Grant, I still crack up at the Minions as if it's the first time. This is a very funny, charming movie about a super villian named Gru(Steve Carell), who adopts 3 adorable little girls, and tries to use them in his scheme to steal the moon. Along the way he becomes a real father to them and starts to change his evil ways. It's cute, funny, entertaining, and a real animated movie that everyone in the family will enjoy. Can't wait to see the second one, as the previews crack me up everytime the minion says "bottom". Great to rewatch as the laughs continue no matter how many times you've seen it. If you haven't, then pick it up, you won't regret it.
June 10, 2013
The film is a senseless yet clever and family-fun concoction that is enjoyable for kids and surprisingly laughable for adult audiences. Despicable Me mixes together the out-of-control CGI hysteria with the subtle & heartfelt morale and makes for a better-than-decent animation film, one that could duel with the powerhouses of those at Disney/Pixar & DreamWorks. It's hilarity, joy and overall charm wins audiences of any age and turns out to be a well-crafted summer film. 4/5
March 22, 2013
Though not as good as a Pixar film, Despicable Me is still a triumph, especially due to its humor and cute storyline.
January 28, 2012
Cute and funny. A very good entertaining movie to the family.
½ July 11, 2012
Funny and cute as hell, 'Despicable Me' ends up being a cut above the average family-oriented animated flick.
March 24, 2012
memorable, funny and gets to point, it's very rare that I love these films so much, it just fits perfectly as one of those films that you want to watch constantly and sticks in your mind.
July 19, 2010