The Disappeared - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Disappeared Reviews

½ July 28, 2014
"The Disappeared" is a slow burner, cleverly mixing a ghost stories with mystery element and psychological tension part and also terrific performance from Harry Treadaway, overall will leave you in surprise and with some question at the ends. This is some hidden gem in British horror cinema.
January 15, 2014
The Disappeared quite ingeniously tries to blend the Sixth Sense with a murder mystery, but first time Writer/Director, Johnny Kavorkian, takes a big chance by adding a surprise ending, that just destroys anything the film had going for it. When Matt Ryan's (Harry Treadway) little brother disappears, he loses his mind. Upon returning to his home, he starts hearing and seeing his missing brother. Matt feels his brother his trying to tell him something and decides to follow the clues. The story here was actually pretty good, but the film moves at an absolute snails pace, felling well longer than 96 minutes. This is one of those films where they put everything on the surprise ending and save all the good stuff for the lead into it. The problem is that the surprise ending was lame and didn't make a whole lot of sense. There is a lot of symbolism in this film that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but the ending really just brings it all to a head. British actor, Harry Treadway is the lead and he was really amazing. Treadway manages to mix the depression associated with his brother's disappearance, the feeling that he's losing his mind, and the drive of a man on a mission, resulting in a great performance in an otherwise dull film. The Disappeared had a lot of potential and a unique story, but it moves so slowly that most people will lose interest well before it falls apart at the end.
October 25, 2013
Photography is sterile, cold and depressive giving this film a sharp horror that is contagious. Poverty, Drink and hatred all feature in broad swathes as the mystery progresses, with some dream scenes that creep up the back and bite the neck sharply. Music and sound effects make you want to run into a dark room and scream. Nibbles: Egg and Chips.
½ September 17, 2013
The Disappeared isn't great, but it isn't bad either. The movie picks up about half way through, and has a few genuine scares toward the climax.
August 28, 2013
oh my goodness... I almost never watch this type of movie. I didn't even realize I had requested it from the library or whatever possessed me to do so. I'm kind of glad that I did, but then again probably not good to watch it alone so late at night. =/ It was a really good movie for a horror flick. I don't think I would watch it again though. =)
May 25, 2013
Good eerie drama develops credible characters, and grim british social-housing kitchen-sink reality. But that's not good box-office, so it gets scripted into the background and a cheap easy ending is dumped on the viewer. Dad's role in particular,with credible suspicion building on him as he copes with the stress HIS way is remarkably acted.
May 5, 2013
Wow i love this movie
February 3, 2013
Really enjoyed this British thriller. A boy is haunted by his missing brother and solves the mystery of what happened to him.
January 14, 2013
Limp thriller that has a few surprises but not enough to rescue this dog.
½ November 15, 2012
not good, don't think I'll watch this movie again, I thought it was crap and I will not watch it again even if someone pays me, I just expected better than that, I hated this film, thought it was crap
November 8, 2012
It builds up nicely. The ending is too long for my taste though.
September 18, 2012
Nicely made ghost story; some fairly obvious reveals are set up early on. Worth a watch.
August 25, 2012
An anodyne, predictable drama that will quickly "Disappear" from my mind!
25/8/2012
August 20, 2012
Just a touch too long
August 1, 2012
A promising start but quickly descends into a disappointing mess. Well made on a low budget but more focus required on atmosphere and the paranormal element.
July 16, 2012
Though it does have a few cliches here and there and might well have a predictable climax this eerie psychological thriller has a great central performance, some jumpy scares, a shocking plot and a chilling atmosphere to make for one hell of a ghostly ride.
July 8, 2012
I'm really glad I got the opportunity to see this in 2008 and is one of those films that went almost completely under the radar. Matthew Ryan struggles to get over the disappearance of his younger brother; his father blames him for the disappearance but tries to hold back his true feelings in an attempt to get past this tragic event. As Matthew goes through some old videotapes of his brother he hears his ghostly voice. He immediately shows his father but the voice is no longer there, this further damages his relationship with his father as all the anger and memories come flooding back. Matthew continues to get voices messages and visions, is he losing his mind or is this really messages from his brother? It's very atmospheric, scary at times, with a very apt soundtrack complimenting the grey and dreary setting of the estate they live on. It's by no means anything new or groundbreaking but with some top class performances and an interesting and emotion filled plot it keep you glued to the screen following these very believable characters. If you love a good mystery with an edge of horror then this is a must see.
February 19, 2012
Well made, well acted...a little slow at some parts. But had some good stuff in it...and at one point I did get scared.
February 12, 2012
Score: 1/5

Cons:
- This movie was so predictable it killed most of the suspense. The conversation the main character has with the priest at night is a dead give-away of the identity of the child's murderer. And any viewer should be able to figure out Amy is a ghost pretty early on, before the movie points out the obvious.
- Not enough good set-ups for the scares, or the scares simply weren't 'scary' enough.
- Some of the concepts involved were very simplistic and/or clichà (C).
- Terrible CGI.
- Stupid or nonsensical character behavior. For example, the family that decided to get burned to death in a fire instead of risking a run. Or people trying to convince a mentally unstable person that what only they can see may be due to ghosts or paranormal activity rather than actual delusions (even if the former is true in the film).

Pros:
- A relatively convincing lead actor. He did pretty well portraying a mentally unstable teenager, for the most part.
- A few (albeit not enough) disturbing moments. The first one was probably the best: the main character's brother's voice calling out from somewhere in the room whenever a certain part in the videotape was watched. The journey through the catacombs was also not too bad. The rest was awful - either not set up properly, or more likely, just not scary enough!

Overall, the film was neither good nor good enough of an effort to warrant a recommendation from me.
½ February 10, 2012
The Disappeared is a culmination of genres, most notably supernatural horror and psychological thriller, with an art house feel and true human emotion. It is a bleak, vulgar picture of grief and guilt, and a subtle yet harsh commentary on religious hypocrisy. This British film shows that not only ghosts of people long gone roam the hallways and bridges, but also the ghosts of human happiness.