The Poker House - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Poker House Reviews

April 18, 2016
Jennifer Lawrence best performance ever!!! How no one noticed this movie before?
April 3, 2016
It feels to me like assembled bits of other stories. All of them compelling on their own, but none of them quite gelling as a singular narrative.
March 26, 2016
After seeing Jennifer Lawrence in " The Hunger Games " she caught my attention ever since. This film was good, the storyline is slow, but maintaining viewer interest, Jennifer Lawrence brings a good performance to the table, and it delivers good. Its a bit hard to watch, especially if you believe that its based on a true story experience, but you will remember the storyline and appreciate the strength of the main characters. As that being said I give " The Poker House " a C.
April 11, 2015
This is quite a deep drama about a young girl (Lawrence), who looks after her young sister while her drug taking mum is getting pimped out by her boyfriend. The movie follows her struggle to keep it together while her mum is holding parties in her house with various men coming in and out of her house. She's also an inspiring basketball player who wants to make a better life for herself but her day to day life at home, with hardly anything to eat, really gets her down. The acting from a young Jennifer Lawrence, was great and she made her character seem very realistic. The storyline was quite deep and emotional and you can't help but feel for these young girls who really don't get any love from there mum. I didn't quite get the story about Chloe Grace Moretz but she also put in a great performance, at such a young age. Its a shame that you don't get to visually see how Agnes's life turned out, especially as it's based on a true story, but it's a watchable, small movie which got its point across well. Watchable!

I think that the main problem with this film is that we have seen this type of story, many times before. The main draw to the movie, for me, is the fact that that Jennifer Lawrence is in it and I haven't really seen her play a role like this before. It does show that the girl can really act and that she can do other roles away from the famous Katniss in the Hunger Games. Although the movie was only made 7 years ago, Lawrence and Moretz look extremely young and it's amazing how far they have come since this movie. Selma Blair, whose been in the Hellboy franchise and Legally Blonde, played the drug taking mum quite well and she also had some emotional alongside Lawrence. Anyway, the movie is a decent watch but it's quite predictable, with no frills.

I recommend this movie to people who are into their emotional dramas about a young girl whose trying to find a way out because her mums on drugs and gets pimped out by her boyfriend. 4/10
½ February 12, 2015
"The Poker House" is the directorial debut of Lori Petty and the first leading role for Jennifer Lawrence. I would like to start by saying that Jennifer Lawrence kills in her role as Agnes. This lady is now such a force to be reckoned with in Hollywood and she still has a very long career . Because I am such a fan of Lawrence's people kept asking me to watch this movie. I must say the acting was great. Selma Blair plays a prostitute that lives in her whore house with her daughters and an abusive pimp named Duval. Blair was very believable in her role and a very young Chloe Grace Moretz was great, cute, and extremely likeable as the here sisters. You care and feel for these girls and you really root for Agnes to get out of the "Hell" she is living in because of her mother. The problem I had is I felt that there was too personal of a connection with the director and the tone of the film really shows that. This is not a movie for everyone. There are some really disturbing scenes in this movie. For a directorial debut, I thought this is a perfect film to grab peoples attention, and talent is showcased all the way around.
January 20, 2015
Good movie, bad ending. It ended way to soon with out us finding out what happened to everyone.
January 15, 2015
Surprised I bothered to finish it, not a movie I would have picked on my own. I was purely going off the reviews which has bitten me more then once!
½ January 14, 2015
Easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
January 1, 2015
A complex project that only begins to make sense when you know that it's written and directed by the protagonist.
December 15, 2014
This film has some great acting (including an early JLaw performance), but the script is uneven and the pacing slow.
½ December 3, 2014
It had great potential, but the great amount of loose ends and unanswered questions keep it from being great.
November 29, 2014
The movie was terrible !! I can't believe they even released it.its like an after school special
½ October 18, 2014
Not a fan of movies like this. It was slow, depressing, n extremely hard to watch
October 17, 2014
i thought it was a pretty good movie
October 16, 2014
Amazing flick! 10 thumbs up! Great ending.
September 22, 2014
This is an incredible film. A truly brilliant directorial debut, and fantastic performances. This is an important film about a very difficult subject. Heartbreaking and very moving. Go see it now!
½ August 17, 2014
no me gustaron algunos personajes y algunas actuaciones medio chafas
July 16, 2014
Superb performance by Lawrence.
June 16, 2014
i've only seen the trailer but i loved it.
½ June 6, 2014
A film that seems more real than I would like. Some parts seem almost..haunting.