Deadgirl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Deadgirl Reviews

June 9, 2016
Oh my... That's a horrible but very horrible movie ! Gross and there's nothing in there or there's just sex and blood and stupid teenage guy ! Just hope Candice Accola didn't play in it 'cause she thought the script was good !
Oh la la... C'était un bien terrible film ça. Dégueu... Soit il ne se passait rien du tout, soit il n'y avait que sexe, sang et ados complètement stupide! J'espère seulement que Candice Accola n'a pas choisi de jouer dedans car elle croyait le script bon.
February 12, 2016
This movie doesn't get the credit it deserves. This is a sophisticated story about the dangers of mixing teenage male sexuality with peer pressure, social powerlessness and a lack of parental guidance. I watched this movie several years ago and have never been able to shake it, or the questions it raises. The human moral compass is fragile, and sometimes "good" guys aren't as good as they seem or as they believe themselves to be. This is much more than a horror movie. It is disturbing on a much deeper level and makes you think hard. You're not supposed to "like" it or feel good about it - you're supposed to learn something. It definitely succeeds on that front.
October 2, 2015
adding based on Joe Bob Briggs' recommendation, but it doesn't sound like my type of movie
September 15, 2015
Very, very disturbing movie. Don't know if I'll ever watch it again, it's THAT disturbing, but WOW it's uncomfortable horror to the max.
June 16, 2015
Ranks in my top 5 or 10 for most fucked up stories I wouldn't revisit. It's dark, morbid, and a little bit ironic. I give them props for broaching the subject matter.
½ April 13, 2015
A good try, but not convincing one. Too exploitative.
½ April 12, 2015
"Deadgirl" is a disturbing thriller that will leave you feeling uncomfortable because hidden underneath the fictional scenario there are a lot of ugly truths. I can't exactly say that I liked the movie, but I was disturbed by It, and I think that is the intention of the people who made the film. The premise is that two high school seniors, Rickie (Shiloh Fernandez) and J.T. (Noah Segan) are frustrated. They are obsessed with women to the point they often don't consider them anything except sex objects, despite the fact that they have female friends. They also hold some amount of resentment towards them because neither have girlfriends, or are able to get dates. Not for any specific reason except for the fact that sometimes it just happens when you're in high school that from the limited pool of women you might consider asking that none of them are a correct match for you. One day, they discover a mute, naked woman in the basement of an abandoned psychiatric hospital. There's something wrong with this woman, so wrong that you might not even consider her a human (and I don't think you're Intended to) but this discovery reveals a terrifying nature about J.T., and some of the other high school students that will leave Rickie and you shaking.

The set up is an original take on a zombie film, setting the dead girl more as a victim than a threat and setting up a conflict that both the characters and the audiences will have to confront: just because it looks and used to be human... does that mean that it is one? I feel like the movie does a good job of blurring the lines of morality, even if ultimately for me, what goes on In this film is profoundly wrong.

A big problem that the film has is that the young men in the film are the true villains and there aren't really any characters to cheer for here, only some you hate less than others. The ending is also a disappointment, with some things happening with only a thin explanation and at least one complete character overhaul. The film deals with the exploitation and objectification of women through metaphor quite effectively. I really think that there is a lot of intelligence and ingenuity at work here but the fact of the matter is that some more casual movie goers who only watch movies to have a good time and not necessarily to be moved or to have their perceptions twisted and turned around simply will not be able to grasp onto this picture. Many will dismiss it as exploitative trash but if you can stomach it it's a well made film that will make you uncomfortable; and it should because it's about an unpleasant subject that needs to be discussed. (Dvd, October 31, 2012)
April 1, 2015
This is a gross movie so definitely not for the weak. The story was sick but I always wanted to see what happened next. Definitely an original concept like no other story Ive come across before. If you enjoy over the top gore and sexual content, you'll absolutely love this nasty film and interesting tale.
February 9, 2015
Adding the zombie gimmick to this movie was a huge mistake. It completely eliminates any of the horror brought on by the disturbing setting and dark characters. There would have been a lot more tension and depth had the 'deadgirl' been a live sex slave. Its a shame that the characters and storyline are so well done, as they are thrown away due to a cheap hook.
February 6, 2015
Very original, yet disturbing twist on the zombie genre.
½ December 3, 2014
This is a dull and boring film featuring very annoying characters despite not being repulsive as you expect from the trailer. Nevertheless, it shouldn't have been made from the first place.
November 14, 2014
Unremarkable, unrepentant, and wholly unlikeable characters doing unpleasant and uninteresting (unless, perhaps, you are under the age of 16) things. Horrible, yes, but weakly done. So much more could have been done with the premise, but this just fails on every level.
November 2, 2014
Well this was different...keeping a zombie locked up and used as a sex slave. creepy on a different level.
½ October 24, 2014
I watched the first 20 min of this film and was disgusted. The ultimate in objectification in women.
½ October 10, 2014
Fantastic. Simply the greatest teen horror coming of age indie film ever. I love every aspect about this movie and I could watch it over and over. Its a gross, revolting, and disgusting depiction of friendships in high school and is in a way, truly heart warming. It manages to leave you with a good feeling even after everything you have seen. An amazing soundtrack as well.
September 15, 2014
Deadgirl is fucked up, at least conceptually. In terms of execution, it doesn't really take any chances. Two horny, beer loving, but less than alpha-male friends find a girl in an abandoned hospital who seems like she can't be killed. In other words, she's a zombie, but they don't know it. JT, one of the boys, decides this girl is the perfect version of a sex toy, and pretty much spends all his time having some depraved but naughty fun.
Rickie is bent on impressing his childhood crush, who is dating one of the boys who bullies him. He doesn't agree with JT, but is soon caught in between.
There's a lot of opportunity here for a movie that could probably tackle interesting issues like women as objects of desire, sexual attraction, teen isolation. Nope. It does none of those. It goes for the gore, but then forgets to go all the way with its concept.
Thus, you're left with a film that is predictable and lifeless. It ends up being just another ordinary zombie film, which is a shame because it's trying to be everything else but that.
September 2, 2014
The premise is interesting, sure. An attempt to subvert genre cliches and bring forward real world issues is always attractive in a horror film. But Deadgirl still fails largely due to it's unevenness in mood (is it a horror or splatter or comedy or serious drama?) and completely uninventive dialogue and characters. It's actually too obvious - the director might as well be sitting behind the screen, shouting at you and begging you to congratulate him for being "original".
August 12, 2014
Excellent conceit! Sequel?
½ August 10, 2014
I'm so mixed on this. It entertains in some areas and falls flat in others. Noah Segan pulls off the character so perfectly but the rest of the cast can be laughably poor (although I would blame the writing for this as well). It's sick even became deeper than it first appeared. There's something about Deadgirl that really reached out to me but the execution couldn't save it.
August 6, 2014
A great balance on what people censor and what people come up with and go with. Punches arent pulled, which makes this a great film, even moreso are the given debates that come out of this.