The Meerkats - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Meerkats Reviews

August 17, 2015
enemmän elokuvatyyliä kuin itse dokumenttia
½ March 29, 2015
Worthy entry in the wildlife saga of Meerkats. I have not seen the tv show.
Beautiful cinematography, altho the abundant golden hue for most scenes is to much after a point.
The Disney magic still abounds, even with the subtle music - that of course morphs into a lion king homage.
Funny, the Disney parallels you notice after some time..

3.5 out of 5
March 24, 2013
3/5 Cute family documentary.
½ December 3, 2012
sweet. Some frightening scenes for the beast but overall she enjoyed it. Probably not a repeat for her though.
August 3, 2012
A touching story about one of the strangest creatures on Earth once again shows the great patience with which BBC operators film their subjects. Thanks to them we snatch at the chance of seeing the meerkats born, playing, growing, being eaten by predators, all of it made with flawless photography and astounding nature shots.
April 3, 2012
Very much a Disney storyline, but it's so cute and so many tense moments that it's impossible not to love.
½ February 20, 2012
Happy endings happen in the wild. They really do.
August 22, 2011
This story follows the young Meerkat Kolo as he learns his place amongst his family. Full of sweet and funny moments it's also tinged with the hardships of surviving in one of the world's harshest environments. It's beautifully filmed; the landscape is breath-taking and the other inhabitants are a mixture of cute and scary, as they try to co-exist! Paul Newman narrates wonderfully and makes this a dramatic and heartfelt piece as you watch Kolo's journey. Beautiful!
August 10, 2011
A combination of storytelling and nature film, this anthropomorphic view of the life of Meerkats in the Kalahari is enchanting and interesting. I don't mind saying that the main "villain" in the story scares the crap out of me, and his appearance in little Kolo's world gave me a huge shot of anxiety.

Although I understand many of the scientific/naturalist criticisms around whether or not this is a pure nature film, I think that the storytelling and "humanistic" component helps to connect our similarities with other animals in the animal kingdom, and thus provides not just a window into the lives of the Meerkats, but also tells us a little bit about ourselves, about family and about life in general.

Definitely worth watching.
½ April 23, 2011
Nature is a collection of fables and tales with a moral. The stunning photography of "Meerkats" and the excellent plot acted out by this small meerkat community in the Kalahari make this film engaging, exciting and incredibly emotional. These wonderful creatures can teach the human society a lot about empathy, family and the strength of bonds despite aversity. One of my favourite nature films of all time.
January 17, 2011
the meerkats get there own movie, filmed in there natural enviroment in africa, and with footage a crafted story of survival, when a new bunch of arrivals are to be cared for, its also sad at times, especially a loss in there family, its all handled well, and paul newman narrating adds a lot,
½ January 14, 2011
Wonderful nature shots and scenics put together to form a plausible story of Meerkat life which gives this documentary a great flow.
December 25, 2010
great movie! who needs hollywood when nature has Meerkats :-)
December 25, 2010
beautiful. one of my all time fav
December 8, 2010
A very well done story of a family of meerkats in Africa. Young Kolo learns how to survive the harsh and often punishing conditions of the Kalahari Desert. It is a beautiful look at how this species requires a close-knit family dynamic to make it through each day.
December 6, 2010
A adventure-filled, suspenseful, touching and heartbreaking documentary following a family of Meerkats in dry African dessert as they love, mourn and learn to survive. Amazing photography and fascinating and adorable group of animals highlight this great BBC nature doc.
½ August 8, 2010
Stellar narration from Paul Newman and impressively comprehensive, intimate coverage of meerkats in nature makes this doc a cute and easy watch despite the overly whimsical presentation.
August 2, 2010
Not only is this movie beautifully shot, it's extremely interesting. These little Meerkats are disgustingly cute and I spent a majority of the movie going "ahhhhh"....but it's also about family and is very enjoyable.
½ July 20, 2010
A sweet animal drama set in Africa that is an educational experience good for the entire family.
June 2, 2010
Amazing and impressive pictures. Too less info for an informational documentary but too extreme jumps between the scenes for a well storytelling. Still the movie works and looks great which is probably the most important thing here.