Carriers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Carriers Reviews

½ July 20, 2011
I popped this movie in, thinking that a relatively good ending was possible. Why all four friends couldn't make it to the beach is beyond me. Good acting, bad ending. Horribly depressing.
July 19, 2011
A descent post-apocalyptic horror\suspense film. The plot was great, and the story was genius. There was just not alot of action or scenes that were actually "SCARY". They could've made the ending a little better, but overall I say it was a pretty good movie.
½ July 18, 2011
I was very pleasantly surprised at what an awesome little survival movie this was. It has dark emotional power and moments of exciting and intense situations. More people should really see this considering as of right now it has to be one of the best to stream free from netflix. I may be rating it higher than most but I think it deserves plenty of credit.
½ July 12, 2011
it was a really good watch
Nothing new...still OK
July 10, 2011
This is a very misleading poster. The movie wasn't scary, exciting or mysterious at all. It was just OK. I mean, add some action, blood ... something!
July 10, 2011
Usually end of the world movies are so peppy. Finally, someone manages to tell the end of the human race by disease story with a little bleakness and fratricide. Never a moment to enjoy humanity in this cure for good feelings.
July 9, 2011
Another movie I planned to give a higher rating to... but as the film went on, the lower my rating got. This movie introduces you to characters... and then just drops them out of the movie. Of course, you can assume what happens to them, and the movie needed to "out" them anyways, but I don't like drop offs. Even the end was a drop off. It is left up to you to decide what comes of the last people left. The overall story was good, especially in the beginning when it all unfolds and we know what the characters are put into. However, when characters started leaving the movie one by one - that is when my star count started dwindling. Meh. So, a good movie, but there were lose ends.
July 9, 2011
A typical zombie movie, but without the zombies... So there isn't much fun to it. Although the drama was ok, it movie felt a big empty to me. I honestly couldn't sympathize with any of the characters. The only decent ones died early, and the asshole ones lived (longer).
Still, I expected more on the background story. We aren't told much about the disease.

Overall, an ok movie, but not that great either.
Ryan M
½ July 6, 2011
4.5/10

People need to stop making so many apocalyptic films. They're seldom exciting; few of them are actually good. They all feel like the same bleak, slow-moving ride. Of course, there are some good films in this new wave of excessively hopeless films, and "Carriers", the film I am reviewing, is not one of them.

I can't say I'm surprised. What exactly did I expect from a film about an apocalyptic epidemic, which never sounded like it was going to deliver anything relatively new? Did I expect anything more than mildly entertaining? Perhaps I did. But I didn't have high expectations for this movie, regardless. It's a typical fight-for-survival film; no twists, no surprises, no reason to see it.

I am, in no way, saying that this is a bad movie. Plenty of effort went into it, and I admit that it is well-made on a technical level. But it lacks the ability to create true suspense, it's never really scary, and when it wants to be dramatic, it lacks an emotional edge. It fails at many things and succeeds at others. This very reality makes it feel a tad uneven, and thus, I felt myself drifting away, possibly to a better movie; and even with these derivative apocalypse films, there are ones that are "better".

A virus, with a source unknown, has spread across the world, killing everyone. The remaining survivors will kill to stay alive, and they will also steal, lie, and deceive. The film begins with four survivors, one of them which is played by Chris Pine (I only say this because you might actually know one of the actors, for a change). His character has a brother; and they both want to get to a "special place" from childhood, in the form of a beach, where they and their love interests can hide out for some time. Maybe the infection will die out.

Shortly after we get thrown into the middle of their grand adventure, the four pretty much take hostage a man and his daughter. The daughter is infected. The man is determined to keep her alive as long as he possibly can. On the journey, which takes up the entire film's story, the lot runs into many things; more infected, empty homes, and even crazed survivalists.

Yeah, it's not that exciting. It's sometimes intriguing, and comes pretty darn close to being mildly fascinating, but you give the audience some; and in return, you must also take some (from your movie). The film feels either unfinished or just told with extreme mediocrity. I felt bored for, perhaps, more than half of the movie. The other half was indeed sort of engaging, but there were too many faults that were attached to this movie.

I wouldn't tell you not to see the movie. It's not bad; but it's not good either. A decent movie, no doubt, but none-the-less one that failed as both a drama and a horror film. It's not "bad drama" or "bad horror" that gives "Carriers" the edge of mediocrity that it dons; it's the director...and the screen-writer. It is a beautifully shot, decently acted (aside from Pine, who is obnoxious and unlikeable) movie that didn't inspire much sympathy from me. There was little to like just as there was little to detest, and in determining whether you should watch it, the choice is up to you. You are either drawn into its story of an emotionally charged road-trip, or you are not; and I was not.
½ June 29, 2011
A little more thought and some original ideas could have gone a long way, but some solid acting, good dystopian visuals, and a few genuinely emotional moments (that almost seem accidentally stumbled upon) raise this film a bit above the standard fare.
½ June 25, 2011
Its as though the screenwriter missed the deadline to finish the script.
June 24, 2011
I originally put this film on in the background while I was doing other things, as I didn't have very high hopes for it but in the end I found myself being completely drawn in by it and ended up watching it again a couple of months later. Really simple but brilliant story line and for such a basic film it actually delivers a pretty powerful message. By the end of the film I actually felt quite moved. Very good indeed
½ June 21, 2011
Carriers takes on a very big subject in a small-scale way, and it ultimately works. Though there are some scripting issues, with occasionally clunky dialogue, and an uneven performance by Piper Perabo, Carriers still has an authentic and tense feel. There's no forced happy endings, just a stark, unrelenting reality. Entertaining and thought-provoking, check it out on Netflix instant.
½ June 21, 2011
Played on one of my greatest fears: germs! It's sad when you recognize yourself in a plague-phobic character. I thought the characters were well developed, and the acting was great. I wish there had been flashbacks to "life before" the plague to compare the characters' lives and journey. I thought the relationships between the female characters were rather random--I would like to have known more about how they met up with the two brothers and decided to run from the plague with them. I recommend!
½ June 21, 2011
Wow what a piece of shit
June 21, 2011
Pitch-perfect psychological horror film. This is the film you should see Chris Pine in (not Unstoppable).
½ June 19, 2011
Short and sweet at one hour and twenty minutes, "Carriers" is a solid post-apocalyptic thriller. Wait, let me rephrase that. "Carriers" isn't very short and sweet, it's actually tense and haunting, delivering a very realistic glimpse at a world where an undisclosed viral pandemic has broken out and devastated populations across the globe. We follow a group of four making their way across the country to the coast, a very "Zombieland"-esque road trip but without zombies or the comedy element to it. In a way, the film does feel like a zombie movie, namely "28 Days Later" meets "Resident Evil: Extinction" because of the eerie sense of emptiness and the characters' constant fight for survival. But there are no chases or scary things that pop out of nowhere. Instead, the sheer authenticity of a dilemma presented in the movie is what gives it such a creepy atmosphere, especially with fears of the recent swine flu outbreak and even the bird flu fiasco a couple years ago which echo in this film.

The lead role of this film is played by Chris Pine, the break-out star in "Star Trek" as Cpt. James T. Kirk. He and his girlfriend, along with his younger brother and his girlfriend, make their way in an SUV across a desert setting. They all follow one rule: Once you get infected, you're as good as dead. The virus itself is very disturbing, slowly killing a person until their body is like a living decayed corpse, much like that scary "guy-you-thought-was-dead-but-actually-isn't" in the movie "Se7en". Anyway, Chris Pine's character is actually a total asshole in this movie (to put it bluntly enough). He's a very selfish person who even disobeys his own personal rule listed above by refusing to be left behind when he (SPOILER ALERT) becomes infected himself (END SPOILER ALERT). His personality is contrasted with his younger brother, the voice of self-righteousness. But this film takes this theme of ethics in an indecent time and makes it more problematic. The movie seems to lean toward the justification of terrible actions such as killing and leaving others behind for dead in a world that has changed - human morality is no longer fit for a world bent on sheer survival and fear.

The message in the movie is one to ponder, but the flaws in the film are more easily discernible. For one, Chris Pine's younger brother is a stupid character, never bothering to check inside a room or a car before entering. Also, the film has a low budget, so it seems more B-movie and amateur-ish because of its financial limitations. Thirdly, some things are just left unanswered, such as the fate of the characters at the end and (SPOILER ALERT) what the hell those Hazmat-suit guys were planning to do with the girls if they got them to stay at the hotel. Where they planning to have sex with them like in "28 Days Later"? No, because they're too paranoid to get out of their suits into a contaminated atmosphere. So then what? (END SPOILER ALERT).

"Carriers" is a decent thriller/horror movie that was probably only released because of Pine's rise to fame in "Star Trek". But still, the film is enjoyable, and its short run time makes it even more favorable for those just wishing to watch a smart Friday-night movie. Watch it!
June 18, 2011
*** This review may contain spoilers ***

What was supposed to carry the movie here?

You have no character development going on at all, in fact, Emily VanCamp's character Kate is sort of getting cast out right at minute 4 and from then on has barely a few sentences throughout the whole movie. Even Bobby (Piper Perabo), the gf of Chris Pines lead character doesn't have any kind of background story. They are just hanging around. Director and writer Ălex Pastor might have intended the minimal background of the male leads to give some foundation here but that again doesn't consist of much more then the fact of them being brothers. Further exposition on any of that is barely existent.

Now all this is forgivable for your average mainstream horror flick, but then there is really nothing more going on here either. I mean no horror. No sudden plot twists and, no unexpected turns, not even frickin zombies and jump scares to get you trough the 84 minutes and even the "internal conflicts" (those I guess were supposed to make the movie TENSE) emerge way to late and are way to few and then also lack any kind of imagination.

Let me warn you: If you are just trying to sit this trough, waiting for a sudden turn or some crucial revelation (or the zombies to appear), I better tell you now: nothing is ever going to happen.

2/10
½ June 18, 2011
Decent apocalyptic film that obviously didn't have a big budget or a wide release but I still enjoyed watching it. The four friends seem quite close but when it comes down to surviving they are willing to do what it takes. I found Brian to be rather unlikeable but it worked well for his character, unlike his very likeable brother Danny. Nothing majorly exciting happens like in most films similar to this so there are better apocalypse films out there, however its still worth a look as its good :)