Fifty Dead Men Walking - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fifty Dead Men Walking Reviews

September 15, 2016
filmovite za IRA nikogas nema da mi zdosadat, ovoj e so Jim Sturgess i Ben Kingsley...
½ September 3, 2016
Plenty of thrills abound, Fifty Dead Men Walking is a tense and decent thriller about the IRA. The real person the film is based on says the film is ridiculous, but its still well acted and very good. I think it was Kevin Zegers is a nice bigger role that almost steals the show, but the principle cast is solid. Its a well rounded and violent thriller, and usually this kind of content is always good. (like Shadowdancer, '71, etc)
February 9, 2016
grrr another lost review
½ October 26, 2015
Loses itself a little down that rabbit hole but good performances bring it back above ground especially from Sturgess.
May 10, 2015
Tough uncompromising film about an IRA informant and his constant struggles to maintain his identity and safety of his family
April 10, 2015
WOW.......WOW.......WOW.......WOW......WOW.......SUCH A GRIPPING MOVIE 2 WATCH, MAN I HAVE JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS SUCH A GRIPPING MOVIE 2 WATCH......its got a great cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie.....I think that ben kingsley, jim sturgess, natalie press, kevin zegers, rose McGowan, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......I think that the director of this action/adventure/drama movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie........I think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch, but it is such a gripping movie 2 watch, its got such a great cast throughout this movie......

On the basis of Canadian involvement in its financing, Fifty Dead Men Walking was nominated for Best Canadian Film at the 30th Genie Awards in 2010. The film won several awards, including Best Adapted Screenplay at the Genie Awards and Best Feature Length Drama at the Leo Awards

Roger Ebert gave Fifty Dead Men Walking three out of four stars. Empire Magazine awarded the film three out of five stars and praised Sturgess' performance, although they noted that "some stylistic slip-ups let him down a little." The Guardian awarded the film three out of five stars and said "producer-director Kari Skogland has put together an effective, if cinematically unambitious, enterprise."

The film premiered on 4 September 2008 at the Toronto International Film Festival in Canada. The UK premiere was held on 4 April 2009 in Belfast, where the film was shot. Sturgess was unable to attend, as was Kingsley, who recorded a video message for the audience. Phoenix23, the Belfast band who recorded three tracks for the soundtrack; "Hit the Ground Running", "Its a Blast" and "Hurricane" were in attendance. The film went on general release in the UK on 10 April 2009.

man this is such a gripping/thrilling/thrill ride of a i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch, it is such a sad movie 2 watch......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT SOME SCENES THROUGHOUT THIS this is such a thrilling real-life movie 2 watch, its such a really sad movie 2 watch.....WARNING YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE AS IT TELLS YOU WHAT HAPPENS AT THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS is such a really sad movie 2 watch but it is such a gripping real life movie 2 watch, it is such a good movie 2 watch, with a great cast throughout this movie.......
January 1, 2015
A true story based movie about the life of Martin McGartland from west Belfast. He is recruited by the British Police to spy on the IRA under the 80's. A pretty exciting plot and totally unknown event for me but there have been very promising words about this movie so i gave it a shot. In the beginning i was a bit skeptical but the more i watched it became more and more interesting and it was actually a rather decent flick but not as good as the rumor. Not many familar faces here despite Ben Kingsley and he did a great performance. The actor who played Martin managed the role quite well but i felt it could have been better time to time. Anyway a movie worth seeing but nothing to rush to in my opinion that is.
November 21, 2014
It keeps your attention and Sturgess does a great job. It doesn't had a whole lot to The Troubles genre.
½ August 29, 2014
This was good, a little dry in places and possibly too long? - they had a lot of material to cover through. Amazing true story of a young street hustlers induction into the IRA and subsequent recruitment by the British Intelligence. Martin walks a fine line between the two, develops a friendship with his handler (Kingsley) and eventually gets sold out by the British. The last 45 minutes is flat out and makes up for the slower sections. I can't believe Martin made it through alive after so many attempts were made on his life and just how ruthless the IRA was. Kingsley (who is as always great) inadvertently becomes his personal bodyguard. The scene where Martin throws himself out the window after being tortured...jeez. Sweet and heartbreaking love story here too. Martin is still on the run today. 04.13

It was only after a couple days that I realized just how good this movie really is, as I'm still thinking about it. Might be worth reading the biography.
½ August 19, 2014
Sturgess is great in this complex film.
July 18, 2014
Solid thriller
May 11, 2014
well i dont think the movie is biased which is good considering the subject matter, also i really liked jim sturgess performance as the lead he is now no longer unknown to me, it is a bit uneven in places and also being a true story about martin mc gartland it would have been nice for his input (which they got from a book he wrote) although his input may not be possible given his situation/ he claims the film is bullshit but how can it be if it is directly from his book they must not have captured it anything like what actually happened. re 3.5-4
December 22, 2013
not what i was expecting
½ November 23, 2013
A somewhat decent thriller based on the true story of an Irishman who was conflicted between loyalty to his Irish roots and patriotism to the British government. The setting was during the early days of the IRA in Northern Ireland, hence it was all tense. The atmosphere is rather dark like most other British spy movies, but overall, it is a great watch (though I read on its Wikipedia article that the story somewhat deviated from the original story it was based on).
½ November 2, 2013
Delving into a true life story of an IRA infiltration, "Fifty Dead Men Walking" is well acted and mostly engaging, but does little to differentiate itself from any of the film's in its genre. Unless this subject matter thoroughly interests you or unless you're die hard fans of Jim Sturgess or Ben Kingsley, chances are this film will be a little to politically charged to hold your attention. Although Sturgess and Kingsley are both at the top of their games in these roles, the script never quite catches up to them. The story does take some appreciated turns however, including Martin's (Sturgess) devotion to his baby's mother Lara (Natalie Press), even when presented with the distraction of Grace, played by the rather surprising Rose McGowan, who captivates in a way unseen in over a decade. Never quite finding its voice and never quite rising above a crime drama, "Fifty Dead Men Walking" is rather predictable, leaving little room for suspense or even a curiosity for what happens next.
½ September 22, 2013
Filled with strong cast it is, honestly, I couldn't care less however.
June 15, 2013
It would have been a lot more interesting and logical if I could understand what the fuck they were saying most of the time.
May 26, 2013
The story line would have been better off focusing on the unraveling of Martin's cover without the distractions of the love story. The character development wasn't as deep as it could have been to really draw in the viewer, although the acting was well done.
May 9, 2013
This film was fantastic! I am not into politics at all, but I did not want to miss any of it...
½ March 9, 2013
One of the better attempts at chronicling the resultant effects in part of the 38 year occupation by the British army of the six counties. thankfully those days are being us.