Virtuality - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Virtuality Reviews

½ November 12, 2014
This was interesting. On a space ship the crew are half of the time doing interviews for a tv show, the other half they are in their own virtual reality worlds. The virtual reality words have an issue where a program starts trying to murder the crew.

The space shit scenes and the shit itself was pretty bad ass. And the way it flies was pretty cool too.
½ June 22, 2014
"This was an interesting concept, but it was just starting to develop and it went and finished. It was like a pilot episode for a TV series.. Perhaps they have plans for a sequel or seven." alot of the pic takes place in the 'virtual west' so it had the feel of an old cowboy western but it isn't.
½ May 12, 2013
a shame this wasn't given a chance ... FOX cancels shows too soon
½ January 28, 2013
Hell, where's the end of the movie?
It didn't finish, it's stupid!
This movie could've been waaay better, but still, it's not too bad.
June 9, 2012
It can't be said that this pilot grabs you by the throat and pulls you into its world as like too many it's slow and largely uneventful as it introduces you to a new concept. That being said the idea itself is original if nothing else; that of a reality show based onboard a spaceship tasked with a ten year mission of exploration. It doesn't entirely work, but even writers Moore and Taylor's biggest hit, Battlestar Galactica took the equivelant of 4 episodes before it found its groove and the same may have been true here. Alas we'll never know, because television sci-fi has been dying a death ever since Galactica jumped away, and this was never piked up for a full series. Shame.
June 5, 2012
Quite interesting but it is still a TV show afterall and that's all the excitement!
May 14, 2012
Promising central conceit with plenty of scope that is corrupted by passionless acting, characterless sets and the addition of a puerile reality-tv subplot
½ April 21, 2012
In the not too distant future, twelve people are sent on a 10 year voyage to a neighboring star with the hopes of finding a new world to save an endangered Earth. To help the crew along the way, they use a virtual reality system where they can interact with virtual family, friends and fictional and historical characters. Their life abord the ship _Phaeton_ is filmed and broadcast back to the billions on Earth in the form of a reality tv series.

It's too bad this wasn't picked up as a series. Even as a short run mini-series, I think this show had potential. Unique premise, great characters and a creative plot. This "pilot" episode ended on a cliffhanger that makes you wanting to see what happens next.
December 11, 2011
Unfortunately I wasn't aware it was a pilot to a series that never aired. And that is exactly what to expect when watching this movie. Good setup but it ends in the middle of the story.
½ October 19, 2011
I like the film. But the action was just picking up when the credits started to roll, which was a major disappointment for me.

The acting was aright, but some of the characters feel like they are still a little dry. Having watched Space Odyssey I can't help but see bits of it in this movie.

For one the computer is strangely similar looking. Then there is the fact that the computer seems to be involved in the malfunctions.

The loading of the spaceships engine seems to mimic that of when Dave shut Hal down.

And the airlock scene reminds me of both "Open the pod doors Hal" and the death of Dr. Frank Poole.

But that's not saying that the movie wasn't enjoyable, it was a descent sci-fi movie, if you don't mind a lack of real action. I am hoping to see some kind of sequel that will fill in the blanks left by the ending.

Maybe they were right and it doesn't warrant a whole TV series but then just one sequel to give it a proper ending.
October 19, 2011

½ August 13, 2011
A bit incoherent, but that's normal since it was a pilot for a series. Unfortunatel, the series was cancelled, so you have a lot of questions at the end... Had some potential I think, but I guess the producers thought differently...
August 2, 2011
My review: Lol....wut?
August 2, 2011
My review: Lol...wut?
July 31, 2011
July 3, 2011
Sigue a la tripulación de la Phaeton, la primera nave interestelar, que se embarca en un viaje de 10 años. La historia se cuenta en tres niveles: una especie de documental grabado sobre el día a día de los astronautas, las actividades de éstos fuera de ese documental y un programa de realidad virtual diseñado para hacerles más llevadero el trayecto. Inicialmente previsto como el piloto de una serie de televisión surgida de la mente de los creadores de Battlestar Galactica, tras varios problemas finalmente se convirtió el guión en una película para televisión que se estrenó en Estados Unidos el pasado 26 de junio de 2009.
June 26, 2011
A thoroughly engaging and fascinating premise that never got the chance it deserved on account of terrible planning and promotion by Fox.
April 19, 2011
I watched a half hour of this and lost interest. Their is nothing more likely to derail a movie than a gimic and the feeling its contrived. The new gritty real look of Galactica
(yawn) and moreso the fake 'Reality Tv' bits. Gimmie a break its like stealing from a soap opera. Supposedly reality tv is real, fake it and what do you have? Junk. Not to mention reality tv sucks anyway so why use it to tell a sci fi story? I did like ten seconds of a future girl band jamming Japanese lyrics to the Munsters theme.
½ March 28, 2011

Harlequin68
March 10, 2011
In "Virtuality," the spaceship Phaeton is on a 10-year mission to become humanity's first voyage to another star system, quickly approaching the point of no return around Neptune. Dr. Roger Fallon(James D'Arcy) is producing a reality series broadcast back to the folks on earth, promoting Billie(Kerry Bishe) to on-air host. Manny(Jose Pablo Cantillo) and Val(Gene Farber) have issues with how they are portrayed but their fears are put to rest with a little give and take. That's a small problem compared to Dr. Adin Meyer(Omar Metwally) self-diagnosing himself with Parkinson's disease, making the decision harder for Commander Frank Pike(Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) on whether to continue the mission or not, with news that humanity is on the brink of extinction. So, no pressure, then.

"Virtuality" is a failed pilot episode. So, it is interesting to contemplate where the series could have gone from here. Like the contemporaneous "Defying Gravity," "Virtuality" focuses a lot on relationships, almost to the point of soap opera.(Bonus points for the same sex couple, though.) And the reality show elements threaten to make it feel like a science fiction "Big Brother."(Which "Doctor Who" literally did a few years back.) The virtual reality elements that are supposed to give the crew some privacy, so they don't kill each other, are nothing new, having been done to death by the Star Trek series and on occasion by "Red Dwarf." But towards the end, the material gets darker as it takes on a difficult and serious subject, just before everything goes sideways, giving what every speculative fiction series desperately needs: mystery.