Liverpool - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Liverpool Reviews

½ April 19, 2015
My class (of 48 students) recently watched this film at our regular screening time. It is an Argentinian Film class, and we have seen about a dozen films this semester. This is the only movie that put anyone to sleep. (I wish I had fallen asleep as well.) There is extremely small amounts of dialogue, and scenes tend to focus on nothing in particular. There are so many shots of nothing happening for almost a minute, and it is too slow to really grasp why this movie is considered anything more than a moving picture.
March 22, 2015
A quiet and somber film (which happens to have a very loud opening credit sequence) that finds profundity in minimalism.
June 18, 2013
Alonso becomes so art house in his treatment that he forgets that films are supposed to be entertaining.
September 1, 2012
One of the Worst Movies i have ever seen in my entire existence................, I want my 84 Minutes given back into my life.............why bother make something like this....no dialogue , no Expressions , Camera seems to be frozen after a shoot between 5 and 10 seconds after actor leaves the camera shoot or someone closes a door......HORRIBLEEEE
Harlequin68
April 13, 2012
As anybody who spends an unhealthy amount of time around here can attest to, I generally don't mind if a movie has a leisurely pace. But "Liverpool" is the one such movie that tests my patience with pointless scenes so drawn out, I was afraid my DVD player was skipping in a couple of places. As if.

Along these same lines, there is nothing wrong with a filmmaker using minimal dialogue, thus allowing images to either tell a person's story or set up a mystery behind a character's actions. The only problem is that there is so little of either, here. With one exception, the only thing you will ever need to know about Ferral(Juan Fernandez) comes remarkably early when he asks his captain if he can get some time off to see if his mother is still alive the next time they put ashore in Ushuaia, Argentina, despite the wintry weather. And even in trying to be subtle with the movie's ending, "Liverpool" also manages to be manipulative at the same time.
August 9, 2011
Liverpool is influenced by filmmakers such as Chantal Akermann a slow look at real life through emotions not dialogue or action. The story isnt solid but the images are great.
July 30, 2011
Exquisite filmmaking from Alonso here. The extended length of most of his shots, combined with the sparse movement of the camera, invites the viewer to contemplate and engage with the film. The whole piece is short on traditional answers, but its exploration of this character's journey works at the level of both the specific and the general. The ending is particularly poignant as it brings together the hints and suspicions with a devastatingly simple final shot.
½ April 23, 2011
Liverpool just went on & ........On & .......On & .........On
February 8, 2011
an excellent film...patience is an art with this one.
½ December 11, 2010
Objects have any number of unique symbolic attributes, but their meanings become increasingly and intriguingly malleable through Alonso's patient, long-take purview.
½ November 8, 2010
Utterly brilliant film about a sailor who returns home to track down his elderly mother who he hasn't seen in decades. A rich, deeply observant journey of discovery, LIVERPOOL creates an indelibly reflective and endlessly engrossing atmosphere through haunting silences and endless long takes. A truly staggering work.
½ April 12, 2010
Eine hypnotische, schöne Passage durch das Niemandsland des eisigen Feuerland. Lisandro Alonso beantwortet bis zum Schluss keine Fragen, die der rudimentäre Plot aufwerfen mag: LIVERPOOL ist ein Film, der sich ganz in der reinen Schönheit des Moments abspielt, von Vergangenheit zwar schwer belastet, doch niemals erhellt. Zwar geschieht in den Bildern und Sequenzen nahezu nichts, doch ist der Film nicht langsam: Alonsos Montage irritiert und stört das Meditative nachhaltig. Allzu oft scheinen Sequenzen zu früh abzubrechen, oder im Gegenteil: lang weiterzulaufen, nachdem sie narrativ erschöpft sind. Darin offenbart sich ein reichlich erschütterndes, verstörendes Potenzial und ein gro?es Talent eines Filmemachers, der wei?, dass Kunst sich immer ein Geheimnis bewahren muss.
April 11, 2010
Let me start off by saying that this film has a very slow pace, but its really a strong character study. A man whom has been gone spending most of his life as a sailor returns home. The film doesn't cater to the viewer at all. Its the nuances of the film which really make it quite brilliant. The small silent moments where our character stands up and sits back down in a matter of near seconds due to boredom and loneliness. There are some strong scenes throughout but the film and the ending is perfect but I really cant give a movie this slow any higher of a rating. The framing is well composed being stagnant most of the time, and its all beautifully designed.
½ February 8, 2010
I think epic hollywood storytelling, and dynamic production values have left me poisoned towards the little guys. I enjoyed this film for the utter fact it is totally something most willing filmmakers could do. It's very simple, it consists static 5 minute shots, a handful of actors, a never ending bottle of vodka, and very pretty locations. I loved the truck riding scene.

A very slow, simple film. I sat through it for the inspiration, but this is a very indie film, right down to the shaky tripod pan shots.
December 14, 2009
I liked the cinematography. Very peaceful and solemn.
December 4, 2009
This one was painful to watch from start to finish. It moved very slow and made sure to not answer any questions as to what was going on. Why had he not seen his mom in so long? What was wrong with her? Why did he sleep in an outhouse? Why? This one was a god damn atrocity...I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
September 14, 2009
q alguien me explique cómo ganó el festival de Gijón. una peli argentina en la q apenas se dicen 4 frases???
½ September 10, 2009
Cannot decide yet , i dont know whether 3 stars is fair enough or that i am being too generous , this is kind of film that is so simple that it becomes mysterious by withholding info. about characters,and i cannot decide whether the filmmaker has real trouble understanding people so he simply use that distanced style or that this is his view of life ,maybe i will see it later and decide
September 2, 2009
Brilliant. Narratively it's very similar to Los Muertos, though here Alfonso seems to be less interested in giving the film a mythological dimension and a lurking sense of violence, instead he opts to capture a sense of wandering and loneliness. The plot about a sailor who visits his mother after a long exile sounds like a clichd ready-made drama, but it is anything but that. The characters starts out as blank slates and throughout the film every gesture become equally significant, and though bits and pieces of details are revealed they remain as mysterious and fascinating as ever.