Loren Cass Reviews

• Aug 16, 2018

The film was able to get its message across. As a film I would say please learn pacing, cinematography, camera angles, lighting, atmosphere etc. was just way off. Maybe that was the point? I'm not sure but that was not good. The acting is terrible. The writing is weak but was that on purpose?

• Nov 10, 2017

A very unique and incredible movie. It's very different and you have to know the background of the movie to really understand, which takes away from it a bit. Never had I seen a movie that portrayed loneliness, anger, depression, and angst in such a quiet but profound way.

• Jun 21, 2012

not as much dialogue as I.expected, but all together you don't need.it. frightening.images and brutal fight scenes show the true side of the punk rock racist scene of Florida.

• Dec 04, 2011

It's a bit repetitive and unfocused at times, but there are also some moments where the anger of these wandering souls is sharply portrayed.

• Feb 20, 2011

Indie movie filmed on a little budget with very little to say. . . literally and figuratively. First time 21-year old director has potential but really didn't display much in this film that hasn't been said or done many, many times before and done much better.

• Oct 29, 2010

This movie was horrible. I'm not going to say that it had bad plot development. It had no plot. There was no character development. And pretty much no one did anything for the entire movie. It was full of random life events. One guy got beat up. Another one ate a hamburger. WTF were they thinking. This movie reminded me of Gummo, only less plot (if you can imagine that). Bad. Just Bad.

• Aug 08, 2010

Ima be honest with you i didn't get it? i mean i feel bad for saying that cause the movie took 10 years to make but it had no story what so ever and if it did it probably hidden somewhere like a message in a bottle? i can't tell you what this movies about cause i didn't even know! lol all i can say is that watching leftover crack live on camera was the only reason why i watched this film cause i love the band leftover crack and if your a hardcore fan then of course your gonna stick around to watch them play

• Walter M Super Reviewer
    Apr 21, 2010

"Loren Cass" is a fine example of minimalist filmmaking, relying less on story, than on a particular time and place which in this case is St. Petersburg, Florida in 1997. With the parents either being catatonic or blithely ignorant, it is no surprise at the level of teen alienation which is exacerbated by the lack of communication, expressed in the low amount of dialogue. At least Cale(Chris Fuller, who also wrote and directed), Jason(Travis Maynard) and Nicole(Kayla Tabish) are waking up to their potential. Cale does not even go home, sleeping on the floor at the auto shop where he works. His friend Jason waits in the middle of the street for him to get off work.(Jason has dreams of his own death.) The two friends hang out, get into fights and are interviewed by the police. That cycle is broken up when Cale meets Nicole, who waits tables and has frequent anonymous sexual hookups.

• Apr 18, 2010

This film was basically a total mumblecore version of "SLC Punk". My expectations for this film were too high based on the trailer and all I had heard about it. This film makes you think, through sequences of drab imagery and sound bytes, what life for a group of teens in the days following the St. Petersburg riots was really like. Chris Fuller leaves it up to the viewer to put the pieces together to figure out what really took place. I think some of the ideas (especially in terms of editing) were original but the execution and the lack of dialogue kind of made it almost unwatchable. At least the soundtrack was sweet and there's a live performance by Leftöver Crack.

• Greg S Super Reviewer
    Apr 05, 2010

Three alienated teens do nothing much in 1997 in St. Petersburg, Florida; to make up for the dead time, every now and then the screen goes black and they read bad beatnik poetry or play clips of a rabble rousing sermon by a African-American preacher. Also includes tasteless footage of the real life suicide of Pennsylvania treasurer Bud Dwyer for no good reason. Dull and pretentious; the viewer will find it easy to understand why anyone trapped inside this movie would want to commit suicide.