A Single Man Reviews

• Apr 23, 2021

6.7/10 — "Decent" -(Seen on 4/22/21)

6.7/10 — "Decent" -(Seen on 4/22/21)

• Mar 16, 2021

What did I love? Let's see... storyline, characters, soundtrack, costumes, set design

• Jan 07, 2021

One of the best movies I've seen about LGBT people/relationships. The emotions are accompanied with the colors and the art of the movie, the performance it's good and the fact that all happens in a single day it's amazing. Very recommended film.

• Nov 14, 2020

"A Single Man" is one of the most depressing movies I have ever seen. It is not only beautiful because of the emotions it transitions, but also because of its plot, as of how well the struggles in a life of a gay man are portrayed. I believe that this is the second best film about a gay person right after "Call Me by Your Name". Colin Firth plays majestically in this movie, as he is very clever and understandable. You get to feel all the loss of losing a loved one, as well as what the character is living through and what he tries to do to forget about this loss. The appearance of Julianne Moore is also great, as she plays an amazing side character. Decorations in the film are wonderful and fully transition the era, as well as there are a lot of amazing shots, which I have filled my photos app with. A must-see for anyone who enjoys Colin Firth and anyone who likes films with thought-provoking ideas and great acting, although I would not consider it a masterpiece. A 9/10, worth your time and money, this is the best accidental film purchase in my life and I don't regret it.

• Oct 27, 2020

The film progresses with a simple nobility, an echo of the man with whom we spend 100 odd and even minutes -- a man performing the passage of life, while his insides -- his heart and imagination -- blossom, bloom, cripple and wither. A tour de light force from Colin Firth, and a script and visual tapestry that brings us along his moment by moment journey, of depression, of loss, of grief. Brought into the images of his imagination, the sights and sound and scope by which he is taking them in, makes for a lovely meal of a film, finding the sharp in the subtle, the shades of light in the darkness. The production design and visual aspect is quite delicious, and using the color palette with such creative zest ennobles our lead character's day in the life narrative. It's a simple film, but psychologically satisfying and by exploring the hauntings just beneath our skin and letting that infect and inform our layers of reality, reveals a more obscure and confounding truth of what it is to be alive, particularly when you don't want to be. A Single Man shall sate many an audience.

• Sep 20, 2020

Oltre ad una solida costruzione emotiva del personaggio, il film presenta uno stile registico molto particolare, nota positiva per un regista emergente che dimostra a gran voce il suo talento stilistico e visionario. Dal tono cromatico di alcune scene fino alla bellissima colonna sonora, il film offre un'esperienza estetica molto raffinata, che coinvolge emotivamente grazie all'interpretazione portante del suo protagonista.

• Aug 12, 2020

"The Single Man" is a work of art. The editing and cinematography in the film are elegant and with the accompany of the soundtrack, it shows its vintage mood. The acting is superb, same as the directing. The story is a masterpiece itself, it unravels its own scene by scene showcasing various elements character by character. The minor characters live like something important but unfortunately, the story only passes them in a whiff.

• Jul 15, 2020

Gorgeous film, worst ending ever.

Gorgeous film, worst ending ever.

• Jul 04, 2020

Slow moving, boring and forgettable. The gay characters didn't seem gay, and the interactions between the gay characters were not believable, so there was no chemistry between them. It's not helped by being devoid of any onscreen intimacy. Spoiler alert: Sad gay man dies sad and lonely, after trying most of the movie to kill himself. Thankfully, for the most part Hollywood has moved beyond that internalized homophobic stereotype.

• Jun 21, 2020

Personally I found Colin Firth, performance to be stronger than the script but the film was effectively emotional.