The Mighty Celt - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mighty Celt Reviews

½ July 18, 2008
By-the-numbers adolescent dog-racing drama "The Mighty Celt" doesn't rise above the pack.
July 16, 2008
Strong performances from all involoved, a captivating storyline and a poignant message overall. A great 'little' movie.
July 10, 2008
Great story line, too bad the production department didn't have enough of a budget.
July 3, 2008
Heartwrenching story, beautifully acted, wonderful location filming in Northern Ireland. Touching and sweet, good story, well written. A fine film.
½ June 4, 2008
quite a nice little film.quite sweet AND scully is in it!
½ April 14, 2008
Another Irish film that could have been great but was sadly let down by its script. Gillian Anderson is absolutely staggeringly fantastic in this, as she subtly plays a heart-broken Northern Irish mother. Her scenes with Robert Carlyle are intensely absorbing and I just wish the film focused on this relationship more and not so much on the bloody greyhounds. After an hour of watching a boy groom his dog, the mind does begin to wander.
½ March 26, 2008
A rather interesting movie with a solid cast (dog included) that could have been great had the director had more artistic vision and better character development. It was always intended on his part to take a novel approach to the "troubles" that occurred throughout Northern Ireland's history, while the novel approach was appreciated, it would have been nice to get more history on the backstory between Kate and O. What motives were driving Good Joe--was it that deep down he was a coward? Did he still believe in the cause because he was a patriot? Either way, it took me ages to see this film due to its release being limited, for the most part, across the pond. I loved loved Gillian Anderson--great comedy and fast switch over to drama in a matter of seconds. Carlyle was equally likable and newcomer Tyrone McKenna was quite impressive. While this movie isn't what American audiences would immediately relate to as a family movie (its violent and has heavy swearing, drinking, and smoking by a youth) it still has a message toward hope and against violence. In the end, despite the occasional failings in the film, that's what matters most.
February 14, 2008
Definitely better than I expected.
½ February 11, 2008
Simple and sweet. I definitely need subtitles for this, though...:)
½ February 10, 2008
Good irish movie with a few different themes simmering underneath essentially a man and dog story. You might need the subtitles on this one as it is very coloquially written.
February 10, 2008
Superbly original, doesnt make you cry but it is sweet. The only let down is the annoying Belfast voices. =P Sorryy...
½ February 9, 2008
Watch KES instead. Much better.
January 14, 2008
I love this movie, why? well Gillian Anderson is in it so it's a great movie..Love her just :D
December 5, 2007
I wouldn't say this movie was bad, but I also wouldn't say that it was entertaining. First of all the cinematography matched that of a BBC made for tv special. So no real creativity there. The story was good. Yet it wasn't facinating. As for the cast, it seems the right people were chosen. Ken Stott and Robert Carlyle are great actors, and Mulder didn't dissapoint with her thick Irish accent. Its just a pity they were put into such a bland film.
November 21, 2007
LOVE GILLIAN ANDERSON
October 25, 2007
Very very sad...but then again it IS showing the truth about greyhound racing in Ireland. :(
October 12, 2007
A really sweet Irish film, with good acting all around, but nothing overly special.
October 4, 2007
A sweet film for every age range. A fantastic Irish film production. The young actor is just brilliant!!!
½ September 12, 2007
Not really my sort of film to be honest. It all seems to be held together rather loosely. I found the subplot of the reunited family to be much more engaging than the boy and his dog. Gillian Anderson does an admirable job with the material that she has to work with, but it's not enough to save this from being relatively average overall.