Dante's Inferno - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dante's Inferno Reviews

September 16, 2016
Good voice acting, narration. Didn't give it full attention for some reason. Like the story, animation good.
August 3, 2016
I didn't finish watching it, 'cause didn't beat the game yet, but the parts I saw were very moving: gorgeous animation, various styles, tragic story. It differes from the game, but in my opininon in the good way: there's no filler, only the parts that matter.
June 29, 2015
This anime tie in to the video game is entertaining action gore fest and the different animation styles for each level of earth to hell is a creative juxtapose of The Animatrix. But the different styles feel lost on their own agenda with continuity errors that feel lost in translation.
April 28, 2015
While this has some great animation and a good pacing feel, it really shouldn't exist. I loved the games for their game play, but I hated how much it strayed from the actual story of the Inferno. Lucifer wasn't an evil hellbent fiend, Beatrice was never in hell for Dante to save, and Dante didn't fight demons. He learned to recognize and pity sin as he traveled with Virgil. My suggestion? You like good animation with ok acting, this is for you. You want the story of Dante's Inferno? Go read the Mark Musa translation ok the film.
April 5, 2015
They took the epic poem of Dante an turned it into an action game, and then into a tie in animated movie. The poem is long and the game is many hours long, which has been condensed for you here. Because of this the pacing of the film is very fast and it feels as if they gloss over many things. But the visuals and ideas behind this quest are incredible. See Dante journey through the nine levels of hell to save his beloved. And he is no hero. Far from it, the further he travels, the more he realizes that he belongs there, unlike he taken beloved who is a pure spirit, yet even then, she has her moment of doubt. It can be hard to watch, but I do recommend it.
November 27, 2014
Not for kids but, it's nice to see literature and animation come together. The different styles of animation was also very interesting.
½ August 6, 2014
A grotesque and lucid depiction of the story in the video game "Dante's Inferno." I was pleasantly surprised by the depth of the characters and plot-line. Sometimes the animation and ideals were a bit relentless and brutal but the tone was consistent as well as using a frequency of love and hope. The animation was really good. The film did feel a bit rushed, plunging you into the inferno and depth of hell rather rapidly. A bit too sanguinary for me but I enjoyed the film. The ideals and references were interesting but could have used a bit more depth in that regard. A well-done film.
June 1, 2014
this is the best animated movie I've ever seen, it's intense, it's action packed, it's scary, it's creepy, it's gory, it's bloody, it's scary, and it's disturbing, just the way i like it, but in other words, it's a really badass action packed horror film
May 1, 2014
It is a decent anime. Great story telling
½ December 22, 2013
Not an easy book to adapt and not exactly true to the book. This is an animated movie with disturbing images. Not really a family movie. But I found myself watching and enjoying. Didn't know this had anything to do with a video game.
½ December 17, 2013
I definitely enjoyed this movie. now I really want to read the book.
November 18, 2013
Between the movie and the game, this is definitely the worst counterpart. The things that truly stand out about the movie are the art direction: while the animation is not that great overall, the movie has been split into different sequences where different studios and directors provide their own take on the plot elements; All this being second only to the voice acting, which is intense and superbly delivered. It won't keep you as engaged as the game, but it should satisfy some people's violent and nudity cravings.
½ September 18, 2013
Well done indeed, though there are some parts that bothered me like for instance the constant change in the outfits, not to mention Dante is a total psychopath. I never could understand why the girl made the bargain in the first place. This was odd and Dante's past had me spiraling whether or not I should like him or hate him. Beatrice was way too forgiving but hey it's gotta fit into the given time but at the end it seemed rushed and seemed to me like a little Vampire Hunter D in a way
September 9, 2013
Gritty, gory and great!
August 26, 2013
This movie was just godaweful, and the game even more so. The only saving point it has that warrants 1 star is the animation style and Mark Hamill.
½ August 13, 2013
Well its highly imaginative and has some cool acting but I kept falling asleep during this movie so I wouldn't really call it a great movie, not worth watching even though it has a great plot. It seemed a little bit rushed and poorly executed.
July 29, 2013
Very nice. Loved how every so often the art style changed.
½ July 21, 2013
You'd like this film more if you haven't played the game.
May 31, 2013
I heard about the video game before this animated movie. It's an interesting look at the levels of Hell. The most common depiction of just a flaming pit with the Devil living there is far removed from the depictions of each specific type of sin. The switching of animation styles was a bit annoying and I wish it were consistent but each style brought its own flavor of Hell to the table. I will admit that the animated movie did two things for me; to maybe rent or buy the game as see the comparison and it did make me question my own moral compass and the things I've done, even if for a little while.
½ May 23, 2013
Mediocre movie, decent fight scenes... meh. Time to give Mr. Nobody a chance.