Tony Reviews

• Oct 23, 2017

I absolutely love this microbudget Film newcomer Peter Ferdinando's role was well played and believable!

• Mar 15, 2016

A slow but mildly interesting low budget movie.

A slow but mildly interesting low budget movie.

• Nov 22, 2015

Morbid. Dark. Funny. Pathetic. Psychotic. Bleak.

Morbid. Dark. Funny. Pathetic. Psychotic. Bleak.

• Oct 11, 2015

Very good portrayal of a serial killer who tries to fit in even though you can tell he has no sense of connection with society. Some black comedy moments, but still very chilling and coldness surround this intricate character.

• Apr 23, 2015

A peculiar kind of absurd horror. Short enough to stay enjoyable the whole way.

A peculiar kind of absurd horror. Short enough to stay enjoyable the whole way.

• Mar 06, 2015

TONY is yet another film in a genre that has been done many times before and, in my opinion, doesn't really offer anything new. The central character, Tony, is a socially awkward loner who is obsessed with action films. He also has a weird physical appearance. Those traits are essentially what make his character, and he's really the only character in the film. Everyone else just exists in his world. What I did like about the film were the few moments in which Peter Ferdinando, who gives an excellent performance, hints at something deeper in Tony's psyche. One scene in front of a mirror was particularly chilling, in much the same way as similar scenes in NIGHTCRAWLER and FOXCATCHER. I also liked the haunting, minimalistic score which adequately conveyed Tony's loneliness, and reminded me somewhat of Philip Glass (whose music I love). Beyond that, it seemed like a typical serial killer film done on a low budget. The cinematography, while digital, was still done well and the camerawork was pretty good too. My major issue with the film is how thinly written it is, such that its 72 minute running time almost feels too long. I guess I just wanted a little more substance. It probably would have worked better as a short film now that I think about it. For what it's worth, the film isn't bad it's just not particularly great either. Peter Ferdinando's creepy performance is probably the best reason for seeing this.

• Feb 25, 2015

Dark little piece, great natural performances, with a creepy edginess.

Dark little piece, great natural performances, with a creepy edginess.

• Oct 08, 2014

Dark, bleak, several painfully awkward and uncomfortable moments. This is a quiet little movie, but it draws you in.

• Aug 07, 2014

In many ways, Tony feels like a modern British version of Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer; however, it features a more prominent black humor streak than Henry. Funny, twisted, and well-crafted, Tony represents that rare blend of artistry and horror that many aficionados of the genre crave and so seldom find.

• May 29, 2014

Really interesting mood and concept, something to work forward on. The lead was really startling.