The Secrets of Jonathan Sperry - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Secrets of Jonathan Sperry Reviews

½ August 20, 2016
1/2 star is too generous. Preachy, boring, poorly acted... don't waste your time.
½ August 28, 2015
With a bland script and bad acting, The Secrets of Jonathan Sperry is a predictable and heavy-handed film that constantly preaches, but never entertains.
December 23, 2014
A história à (C) fantástica! Pra quem ama a Jesus, então, extraordinária. Mas ainda acho que os filmes cristãos deveriam investir mais com o objetivo de conquistar mais e mais vidas para Cristo!
January 6, 2014
Ok film. The kid in love stuff was boring. I liked the message of Jonathan and his kindess and faith in God. Finding out near the end what happened to his wife was really sad. When he died, I did shed a tear. Just wasn't a movie that touched me enough. It had a nice story but was overall boring. But I loved the message of God. That girl... Tanya...URGH so glad she didn't end up with Dustin!!!! Apparently the story is true I think...??? the ending has Jonathan's lifeline mentioned but i can't find anything about him online. The other boys were mentioned so they must be real people too. Not sure because they say what happened to characters even in fictional movies sometimes.. I was weirded out by the fact the movie said it took place in 1970. That is just weird because it looked so much like 50's to early 60's to me. Overall I loved the message but wasn't entertaining enough. Mind you, I kept watching
½ December 7, 2013
Interesting story. It will captivate you. It will move you.
November 2, 2013
I don't mind a good faith based movie if it tells an interesting story and is designed to have faith as an aspect of that story. This is a story where they set out to bring faith to the masses and added a simple story, albeit with a good message, around that idea. It makes the movie feel more like a lesson and less like entertainment. The acting is okay. The story is too basic and at times boring. I liked it but won't watch it again or recommend it to others.
October 26, 2013
I've watched this movie more than one time and I'd rate it a high five every time.
The fact that VUDU, i-TUNES, Amazon Cloud, just to name a few who does not offer this in their programing, shows their prejudges against Christian content.
An exceptional movie, showing the love we should have for our fellow man and why..
October 5, 2013
A well-meaning attempt to make a positive and encouraging film, but it's very naive with some of the plot and acting. Despite being innocent, the main character's extremely unwise conduct would have got him on the sex offenders register. Ineffective at best, and dangerously ignorant at worst. Made by people who don't live in the real world.
April 18, 2013
Spreading a little kindness never hurt anyone, no matter how you learn to give.
March 16, 2013
My favourite Movie ever Awesome acting with a beautiful message
October 2, 2012
This rises above most monotonous Christian dramas..

PLOT:Three 12-year-olds including Dustin (Jansen Panettiere) are living a carefree life in the sumemr of 1970. Wehn Dustin goes to mow a lawn, he meets old church-goer Mr. Sperry (Gavin MacLeod) who teaches himself and his friends about God, the gospel, and his plans for life in fun little lessons. Meanwhile, Dustin tries to deal with bullies and crushes not to mention warming the cold heart of the man across the street from Mr. Sperry, Mr. Barnes (Robert Guillaume). It is a somewhat generic Christian plot, but it's executed quite decently.

ACTING:This is where the movie's weak. The acting in here mainly sucks. The kids all suck and even some of the adults. The only actors that did well were Gavin MacLeod and Robert Guillaume.

SCORE:This was surprising, but the score was actually pretty excellent.

OTHER CONTENT:Other than the acting, the other things that brought the movie down were the predictability and lack of suspense. I predicted most of the movie by the time it was half over. There was a twist that I never would've caught though, and also though you knew what was gonna happen, it still was executed enough for you to feel emotion. The lack of suspense simply means that the movie was kind of boring straight through. On the upside, the lessons taught in here helped me realize certain things, but I feel this only works because I am a Christian. If I had not been a Christian, I feel I would have hated this-so my opinion is limited on a critique site.

OVERALL,an ok Christian drama with a decently executed plot, sucky acting, excellent score, raging predictability, lack of suspense a.k.a. boredom, and good lessons for Christians.
August 11, 2012
Dripping with cheese, corny, over the top bible thumping at its very best.
August 5, 2012
Not amazing production value but overall a very good story.
½ June 23, 2012
This movie displays and invokes the positive attributes that I would love my 7 year old daughter to display as well as inspiring me to be a role model for her and her friends. Definitely worth the watch.
April 28, 2012
i know that God can give his place
where he died for all others and came for us he is loving us today.
March 25, 2012
The most inpirational movie. I live by this movie. I'm only 14 but I am saved and the person I am because this movie lead me to Jesus. I will forever worship and live in his name! He will be known in this world. Amazing I love this movie. The Secrets of Jonathan Sperry changed my life. <3
January 15, 2012
Great show. My six year old loved it. She said the reason was that the bad person turned good and that they teach about the Bible. If your child is not like that, I'm not sure they will stay through this show. The ending is surprising. The discovery that this was a true story of compelling selflessness makes this movie all the more dramatic and amazing.
November 15, 2011