12 O'Clock Reviews

• Nov 09, 2010

I saw this film only because I was curious to see another Guru Dutt film, considering he died so young..he has few films as a director or actor. Like another crime/thriller film, which was directed by Guru Dutt "Aar Paar"-this one is also let down by the thriller aspect of it, it's just not that thrilling. When Guru Dutt's character starts to investigate his girlfriend's case, the film becomes far less interesting and way too long. It felt like an hour too long. While "Aar Paar" had some great dialogue and an compelling central romance to keep ones attention..the romance here just seems cliched and rather boring. The song's aren't memorable either. The film has a great cast but have pretty clunky material to work with. What saves the film is the exchanges between Johnny Walker and Guru Dutt, these two always shared some great chemistry in every film of theirs..this one is no exception.I did love Waheed Rehman's character, she was gusty than most heroines of the time however I wish the film had concentrated more on her character rather than the boring crime investigation-like we didn't know who committed the crime and why already..why spend an hour on that? Overall, this is only for Guru Dutt or Waheeda Rehman fans :)