12 Years a Slave Quotes
The top 12 Years a Slave quotes selected by the Rotten Tomatoes community. Login to submit a quote!
- Bass: Laws change. Social systems crumble. Universal truths are constant. It is a fact - it is a plain fact that what is true and right is true and right for all. White and black alike.
- Solomon Northup: I am Solomon Northup. I am a free man; a resident of Saratoga, New York. The residence also of my wife and children who are equally free. I have papers. You have no right whatsoever to detain me...
- Tibeats: You will not live to see another day!
- Solomon Northup: I will not fall into despair! I will keep myself hardy until freedom is opportune!
- Solomon Northrup: I don't want to survive. I want to live.‐ Submitted by Mati M (2 years ago)
- Ford: What is the price for the ones Platt and Eliza?Freeman: A thousand for Platt; he is a nigger of talent. Seven hundred for Eliza. My fairest price.Ford: You will accept a note?Freeman: Always from you, Mr. Ford.‐ Submitted by joseph j (2 years ago)
- Ford: I believe Tibeats is skulkin' about the premises somewhere. He wants you dead, and he will attempt to have you so. It's no longer safe for you here. And I don't believe you will remain passive if Tibeats attacks. I have transferred my debt to Edwin Epps. He will take charge of you.Solomon Northrup: Master Ford, you must know; I am not a slave.Ford: I cannot hear that.Solomon Northrup: Before I came to you I was a free man.Ford: I am trying to save your life! And... I have a debt to be mindful of. That, now, is to Edwin Epps. He is a hard man. Prides himself on being a "nigger breaker." But truthfully I could find no others who would have you. You've made a reputation of yourself. Whatever your circumstances, you are an exceptional nigger, Platt. I fear no good will come of it.‐ Submitted by joseph j (2 years ago)
- Edwin Epps: A man is free to do as he pleases with his property.
- Edwin Epps: And that servant which knew his lord's will and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.
- Solomon Northrup: I apologize for my appearance, but I have had a difficult time these past several years.
- Bass: You're well traveled for a slave.‐ Submitted by Marcus Y (2 years ago)
- Freeman: My sympathies extend the length of a coin.‐ Submitted by Colby S (2 years ago)
- Solomon Northup: I survive. I will not fall into despair. I will offer up my talents to Master Ford. I will keep myself hardy till freedom is opportune.Eliza: So you settle into your role as Platt then?Solomon Northup: My back is thick with scars for protesting my freedom.‐ Submitted by Caesar M (2 years ago)
- Clemens: Survival is not about certain death. It's about keeping your head down.Solomon Northrup: Days ago I was with my family, in my home. Now you're telling me all that's lost? Tell no one who I am, that's the way to survive? Well, I don't want to survive. I want to live.‐ Submitted by Caesar M (2 years ago)
- Edwin Epps: You're not a free man, you're not more than a Georgia runaway.‐ Submitted by Jean R (2 years ago)
- Edwin Epps: Sin? There is no sin. Man does how he pleases with his property.‐ Submitted by Newman F (2 years ago)
- Solomon Northup: I don't want to survive. I want to live.‐ Submitted by Armand J (2 years ago)
- Solomon Northrup: I'm a free man!‐ Submitted by Siddharth K (2 years ago)