13 game sayawng (13: Game of Death) (13 Beloved) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

13 game sayawng (13: Game of Death) (13 Beloved) Reviews

½ August 16, 2014
Better than the remake
½ July 31, 2014
some "ew" parts, it was an ok one time watch
July 20, 2014
Disturbing movie...What's most disturbing is I couldn't stop watching for fear of missing something really good.
PantaOz
June 10, 2014
This is the only Thai movie I watched twice... and I enjoyed it both times! I am not sure if this is psychological thriller, horror or comedy ... or everything above... but the director Chukiat Sakveerakul managed to keep me entertained until the end! Krissada Sukosol Clapp maybe didn't look like a perfect choice for the main role but now I think that he was the best choice to portray a desperate man who is led through progressively challenging, degrading and dangerous stunts by mysterious callers from an underground reality game show. This film is an adaptation of comic-book series and it was a second film for the director who previously directed the horror film, Pisaj. The film covers one day but actually took about seven months to film...

Wonderful reflection on the materialism in Thai society which makes this film a little bit more then just for fun. Hints of political and social issues are always with a disguised message addressing human issues as well. For all people familiar with Thai politics, Thailand's prime minister at the time, Thaksin Shinawatra, was directly referenced in the film - his photo was on the newspaper that Phuchit used to swat a fly!

The film won several awards in Thailand and if you have a chance to see it - do it now!
½ June 1, 2014
Krissada Sukosol gave a riveting performance genuinely reflecting the traumatic effects incurred while suffering through this harrowing ordeal!
May 1, 2014
I really have no idea what to think of this film. I wonder if the whole thing turned out to be a decent accident. I finally understood the link with the first scene and the movie as a whole. It was a very good critique on society and our lack of empathy and our own reaction to brutal violence. At the same time, it critiques exaggeration and bizarre finger-pointing. An odd ending, but I hope a sequel gets done.
½ September 16, 2013
So so stupid. This movie has got to be in the top 5 of worst movies ever made. The story is a joke, the acting is awful and the cgi looks like it was created on the first Apple computer. This is a movie that will lower you IQ. Just stay far far away from it.
July 11, 2013
Very slow to start off with but got better in the final half an hour. Definitely pushed boundaries but I couldn't watch it a second time.
½ May 10, 2013
i'm done with this genre............
May 7, 2013
i guess i watched this wrong time!!! was eating lunch when he was on challenge 5 (had to eat a plate of dog shit) lmaooo! i was gagging for england before the first bite and almost threw up! if i can forward that bit and watch rest i might give another star! lol not sure if i reccomend or not!
April 27, 2013
This film has a lot going for it. The concept is a bit different than most films out there. I found the film a bit too lighthearted for the subject matter as the comedic elements weren't over the top enough to make the film a comedy but their presence still managed to detract from the gruesome elements found in the film.
The editing/directing is probably the biggest problem with the film as it feels a little.... ummmmm.... schizophrenic.
The ending is a good twist but I felt the film, though it tried to, didn't focus on the elements of the ending enough to truly deliver the impact necessary.
This is the kind of film that a redo could really improve upon. There are soooo many good elements that as long as you have the right actors (Krissada Terrence is brilliant in this original) would make for a very good movie.
As is, 13: Game of Death is enjoyable and worth a watch at least once. Don't know that it warrants repeat viewings though
½ April 25, 2013
interesting, unusual, tensed and bloody movie!
January 25, 2013
A mix between the Saw franchise and David Fincher's The game, 13: Game of Death involves a man on the edge who gets involved in an ever escalating series of challenges that eventually lead beyond self-humiliation to violence against others. Surprisingly funny and somewhat satirical, 13:Game of Death doesn't work quite as well as could have, but it remains an effectively twisted and relatively intelligent piece of Thai horror.
½ January 3, 2013
Half a star for being filmed with a camera which is all that makes this a movie.
½ December 24, 2012
This is a fun, yet unsettling film that feels a little too long. It starts off quickly, but seems to drag in the third act. Some are the challenges are difficult to watch, depending on what bothers you. The story will be familiar to those who have seen similar films, yet it is still fresh enough to keep you engaged. The ending is quite the gut-punch, but I feel it suits the film quite well. A film worth watching, even if the pacing is uneven and some of the situations could be off-putting.
TheDudeLebowski65
November 8, 2012
Asian horror films in many ways are much better than American horror films because they tend to push the limits of terror, and they introduce unique concepts to the genre that expands traditional elements, which make horror still relevant and fun. Directed by Chukiat Sakveerakul, 13: Game of Death tells the story of Chit who is heavily in debt and is fired from his job. He is contacted y an unknown caller who offers him the chance to gain some money by participating in a game where the contestant must complete 13 different challenges. Each challenge is worse than the previous one. The concept with this film is great; however I thought that the execution was kind of poor. The film tends to be hit and miss, and despite its original plot, I felt that the film had the potential of being so much more. I felt there was something missing to really make this film memorable, and despite its twist ending, it left a lot to be desired. The film is good and it's entertaining, and lots going for it, but like I said, things could have been done slightly better too. With a concept like this, you could see so many great ideas that could have been, but wasn't even brought to the screen. There could have been a bit more effort into the film, and I think it's a shame because the idea is really interesting, but the execution is average. Good film that has its fair share of flaws, 13: Game of Death is a must for horror fans, but expect to be slightly disappointed with a few aspects of this film. Even with its entire fault, there's a good film here to enjoy, but one that is not memorable or demands additional viewings.
½ October 31, 2012
13 is an eye opener, scrutinizing the cynical world through a man with nothing to lose.
September 16, 2012
An interesting idea which became a little too ridiculous. The ending is a little disappointing especially in comparison to quite an inventive opening hour or so.
August 12, 2012
Great Thai thriller about what a man would do for money