Outland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Outland Reviews

September 17, 2016
This is one of those films that isn't brilliant, but one that I've always loved. The film is essentially a western set in outer space, with the great Sean Connery as the sheriff on a distant space station. Connery uncovers a drug smuggling ring and finds himself as the lone man, "High Noon" Will Kane style, willing to take on the corrupt officials behind the ring. Written and directed by the underrated Peter Hyams (who this time didn't also do his own photography). The film is exciting, has a decent mystery, and Connery is great as always. And there is also a very cool Jerry Goldsmith score.
½ August 31, 2016
Feels like an offshoot of Alien, the influence is apparent. As such it's a pretty good space western, with a great lead character.
May 8, 2016
I don't know why this movie got so bad reviews, I think it's a cool space crime story, thrilling and simple at the same time. Yes, maybe it's not the best sci-fi movie out there, but still it's a VERY enjoyable movie, both for lovers of hard sci-fi and for lovers of crime stories and thrillers. I still can remember how I felt when I saw it years ago: a lot of tension and was not sure the protagonist would get through the mess or die trying.
April 10, 2016
A crime thriller in the space, with some good moments
February 18, 2016
Outland is about a mining colony on the moon of Jupiter where Sean Connery is the head of law enforcement. As the film progresses a number of people start to go crazy and kill themselves which leads Connery to discover a drug smuggling operation that he vows to stop. Then the climax becomes one big homage to High Noon. Sean Connery is great as always, which means I get invested in his journey right away. The problem with the casting is that they have a couple of actors that have since become well known for comedy roles so it is difficult for me to take people like Peter Boyle and John Ratzenberger seriously. But that's a minor distraction from an otherwise strong cast, including a great over-the-top performance from Steven Berkoff. The climax is actually handled better than High Noon. I liked the quick build-up and limited scenes of Connery asking for help and then planning his strategy for when the hit men would arrive. Also when he starts to take on these guys his technique surprised me, so I was excited through that whole sequence. There were a few problems with the execution though. First of all, one decompression with exploding head is enough for an entire film in my opinion, but this one has about five. A little more variety in the way people are dispatched would keep the audience guessing more. The next couple of points would be considered spoilers:

Also, they telegraphed their moves a little too much, particularly when Connery is betrayed by his fellow officer. Finally, upon reflection, I can't stop thinking about the fact that Sean Connery leaving at the end means he didn't really resolve anything. All he did was risk his life stopping one attack from the corporations drug suppliers. By him leaving he has now left the door open for the drug trade to start up all over again. It's almost like they were so committed to drawing comparisons to High Noon that they didn't think about how him riding off into the sunset with his wife ruins the end of this film. My problems with the film don't quite outweigh the things I liked, but I still have a hard time making a strong recommendation for Outland. If you like sci-fi and Sean Connery then give it a shot, but otherwise I'd say you probably should avoid it.
February 7, 2016
High Noon in space, with a look and feel that is clearly influenced of the massive success of Alien shortly before it. The film did not age as well, but still works as a slowly building thriller with a convincing leading man.
½ January 13, 2016
high noon" given a sci-fi twist
November 30, 2015
This is an enjoyable movie, it has all the aspects of a stuff your face full of popcorn and soda. However if you take the time to actually get into it beyond the action scenes you'll find it has a lot to be looked into from the corporate money interests who will use the workers in whatever manner they choose to make a profit. To the way the workers on the facility don't seem to care one way or another that they are being used so long as they are not themselve affected. Even the main characters have the look of people who have been there, done that and bought the t-shirt and are once again going back into do it again. There is a wonderful degree of world weary cynicism in this movie that make it a delight from other sci-fi movies. Also it is dirty not clean like some of the more modern sci-fi movies. Hell, Outland makes Star Wars look antiseptic in how machinery and craft are taken care of; this movie is a delight and I am glad to own it.
September 13, 2015
Decent High Noon Remake In Outer Space. Connery is always
½ August 12, 2015
Like the reviews say, It's High Noon in Space. I think this movie is underrated.
July 20, 2015
A solid effort from Peter Hyams. A good western in space. Fun, engaging and well acted.
April 14, 2015
A space western with Sean Connery and its visual effects are good despite being a 34 year old film.
April 10, 2015
Connery drags this movie from never mind to watchable popcorn flick....sort of a futuristic Marshall Dillon.
½ January 18, 2015
Sean connery un sheriff espacial, intrépido sci-fi
October 26, 2014
It was Ok. Sean Connery is good as usual but the rest aren't that amazing. Storyline could have been better.
October 10, 2014
Update the classic High Noon, say, set it in space, cast uber-charismatic Sean Connery as the lead, and lose all that time wasting moral implication stuff = well, two out of three ain't bad. Who knew that all that moral stuff was actually the heart of the piece, and not the action???
And w/o those important considerations, the piece just ain't got the legs.
It does have Sean Connery though.
October 7, 2014
Not sure if a western translates to space that well. Why was he just waiting around for them to come kill him? Why would no-one help him? Why not just ambush the killers as they arrived? Why not contact someone about what was happening? he seemed to have load of evidence.
½ August 20, 2014
Predictable Sci-Fi mystery devolves into mindless action flick... it's like Aliens only boring.
½ June 4, 2014
I've def seen worse, but the writing/directing of Hyams in this film was pretty lame.
April 2, 2014
Very generic sci-fi, though it gets points for tension in the first couple of acts. It has an unpleasent puritanical streak (allowing people to do drugs and have casual sex will lead to murder and mayhem), and the action in the denouement is pretty terrible. It's also visually drab, which is rather shocking considering this guy did the 2001 sequel (like I needed another reason to not watch that.) It's not a bad movie (good pacing in the detective story, a tense ticking clock) but it barely scrapes above average.