13 Assassins - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

13 Assassins Reviews

August 12, 2015
While highly stylistic and masterfully choreographed, 13 Assassins does not deliver anything extraordinary in terms of plot and narrative. One may argue that this is a film with excuse plot for stylish massacre.
½ August 11, 2015
The last half of the movie is comparable to the House of Blue Leaves massacre in "Kill Bill" and Takashi Miike does not execute it at the expense of the movie's characters and thrills.
½ August 1, 2015
Much predictable and brutal. Just some action movie in which 13 guys kill by hundreds ...
July 31, 2015
An effective modern update of old-school samurai flicks.
July 26, 2015
Ancient Japan, Samurai Codex, Takeshi Miike...what could go wrong? Not a lot to be true...maybe the hunter character was a bit too much, beating lots of trained samurai like in a saloon brawl violates the warrior myth this movie is about...but at least it was not as bad as like a drunken American soldier skipping centuries of experience in sword fight and beating samurai in their primary discipline...only 3 stars as the movie lacks authenticity somehow and because it was surprisingly unbloody for a Miike
July 24, 2015
this is a badass samurai movie with nonstop action and blood and gore that keeps you on the edge of your seat, and there's even some intense moments too and it does a really good job at making you hate lord naritsugu, trust me, this guy is a SCUMBAG, the first half is a little slow at times but like I just mentioned earlier, it has some intense moments and it does a good job making you hate lord naritsugu
½ June 13, 2015
Solid samurai flick. Great action sequence at the end there. It's basically 300 with samurais though... lol even down to the supernatural touches.
June 8, 2015
Not even close to good reviews it got.
May 31, 2015
Filme sobre 12 samurais e um homem das montanhas que têm a missão de matar um lorde cruel e sanguinário antes que ele assuma um posto importante no governo. O filme aborda o xogunato .
½ May 24, 2015
The film is very similar to 7 samurai but saying that it does deliver. Takashi Miike proves again what a skilled director he is. His previous usually are quite avant garde and surreal but I like it when he blends that surrealism into modern reality like Audition. This film is a lot more straight though he throws in some of his touches like the women with her arms and legs cut off for the Lord's plaything, but its the action scenes that are impressive. This film shows the coming end of the Samurai and its way of life. Highly Recommended.
½ May 5, 2015
13 Assassins is brutal and fun.
½ April 27, 2015
Great film but disappointing ending!
April 19, 2015
An action film set at the end of Japan's feudal era - a little gory.
April 18, 2015
I pity you for not seeing this epic...
½ April 11, 2015
Extremely well made.
½ April 10, 2015
Surprisingly tame for a Miike film, but a bloody good time. I like that it has all the eccentricities you find in anime and old Japanese action movies. Like the rebel of the group who doesn't like being labeled a samurai, when he got excited his performance reminded me of a playful puppy dog. Very animated and memorable characters. Everyone is either spunky or they're intense warriors or warlords. People who are too fantastic to be really be real.

I'm not a fan of the main bad guy, though. Because of the director, when I read it was like Seven Samurai and women were raped I was expecting something crazy from Miike. Rape is terrible, but when used properly it can highlight a point and elevate the emotional sting of a plot. All we get here is the scene with the woman who gets her limbs removed. First of all, the woman was kind of weird. First thing you notice is the shaved eyebrows and her unusual character. Then the scene when her boyfriend is killed it's really is tragic. You feel sorry for how powerless he feels and vulnerable she is. But when they show her later it seems like it just went too far and lost its resonance, and it seems to be exploiting something terrible just to build up the main bad guy as a really bad guy. In the scenes defense, it was what I was expecting from Miike so I can't say I was disappointed. There are so many scenes there just to intensify the presence it's like he was the final boss in a Final Fantasy game.

The action is great if you like sword fighting. If not the battle might get a little disorienting at times. It has many elements of a summer blockbuster, but what makes it refreshing is the authenticity of the violence and the, literally, down to Earth setting. Seeing wood and mud explode is much more satisfying than seeing concrete and cars explode. I think the explosions are the highlight of the film, as well as the whole village, especially the gate. it's a very visual film, like most anime and action movies in general.
April 6, 2015
The samurai movie Akira Kurosowa wanted to make, but was instead fused together with Quentin Tarentino. Blood and violent sword fighting things that those two directors lived for. The bad guy was really unlikeable and easy to route for his death, and characters are likable and you get the sense of the moral issues they are dealing with and how it affects the 13.
April 5, 2015
Hot damn this is fun
½ March 26, 2015
Loved it. A fab samurai movie with a straight forward story. The sequences are great with good acting. Especially well directed and edited too. Fairly long but completely worth the time as it's quite fast paced
½ March 13, 2015
Epic in scope and thrilling in its choreography this is Takashi Miike's best and most riveting film i cant help but feel this is some how a salute to the great Akira Kurosawa the master of samurai cinema