13 Frightened Girls (The Candy Web) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

13 Frightened Girls (The Candy Web) Reviews

jjnxn
June 16, 2014
Absurd blend of cotton candy teen movie and spy picture defies categorization but is silly enough to watch once in a bemused state.
June 12, 2014
kinda lame from schlock meister william castle
February 28, 2014
Despite it's misleading title and wrongly classified as a "horror" film. This is actually an enjoyable kids film even though I don't know if that was William castle's intention. Castle being known for his classic and original gimmick features.
August 27, 2012
Gave it 20 minutes. Too dated.
March 31, 2012
Dreadfully dull....an exercise in bleh....a waste of good talent. I could go on. :) Seriously, 13 Frightened Girls is IMO one of Castle's worst films. I don't find it all that interesting to watch some spoiled rich girl play Nancy Drew for 90 minutes, but maybe that's just me. Apparently William Castle scoured the world to find beautiful young girls of different nationalities. I'm not sure why so much effort was put into this (maybe just personal pleasure) because these "13 Frightened Girls" mentioned in the title play no part in the story whatsoever. Hell, there are more girls than that running around in this moviebut we only identify with two of them. All that you as an audience member need concern yourself with is a pretty 16 year old girl who likes to spy on the Russians and the Chinese. That's about it. Dated by everything from clothing to music doesn't really help this movie either. If you want to see a far superior movie that is supposed to be about a bunch of young women being terrified that's meant to be fun, watch Hausu (House) instead.
December 25, 2011
An odd movie for William Castle, it's a spy movie which is odd because Castle was known for making horror movies. And don't ask me why it's called "13 Frightened Girls" because it focuses on 1 girl and she has a sidekick of another girl. There are 13 girls in total but the other 11 girls are side notes at best. No twist, no horror, no real thrills or anything. An quirky little spy movie about a 16 year girl who is a diplomat's daughter and becomes a secret spy. Eh....
½ May 5, 2011
William Castle's films were always filled with fun and horror, but this one was made to fill in an audience he was not so familiar with: 13 year old girls. Yeah, and that's probably why I couldn't get into it. Although I'll say the 13 year old lead girl who has the sexual hots for her dad's coworker was quite disturbing, but the movie is a dud. Probably better as an example on how to fuck up a producing streak, just like Val Lewton did with "Mademoiselle Fifi", What were they thinking? Whatever you do, pass this Castle failure. It should've been a bad 60's TV series instead.
FilmFanatik
April 4, 2011
½ February 6, 2010
One of the films in THE WILLIAM CASTLE FILM COLLECTION DVD set. If ZOTZ was Castle's attempt to make a Disney film like FLUBBER (the original with Fred MacMurray) this is his attempt to make a Disney/Hayley Mills film like MOON SPINNERS. Khigh Dhiegh plays the charming yet sinister Red Chinese spy master, similar to the role he had played in THE MANCHIRIAN CANDIDATE and would soon be playing in HAWAII FIVE-OH (he played the recurring villian, Wo Fat, from 1968-1980). ZOTZ was fun but this one is a bit flat, Castle's forte was horror.
February 2, 2010
½ January 8, 2010
It was good enough for a cute old movie. I only watched it because it was included with the 13 ghosts movie. It was terribly campy and predictable but that's the way things used to be I suppose.
October 22, 2009
From gimmick director William Castle comes a film that could use a jolt of schlocky fun. There are actually 15 girls, but other than the lead, none of them ever shows anything resembling fear or a personality. The girls run the gamut of stereotypes, including a Swede who murmurs, "I want to be alone," a hot-blooded South American, and a curiously manly and athletic Russian. As for poor Mai-Ling (the Chinese student), her every appearance is accompanied by mysterious East music, and she seems to have studied speech with Mr. Magoo's servant. The closest thing to a twist is that the big enemy turns out not to be the Russians, but those other commie bastards, the red Chinese. The scariest thing in the film is a our 16-year-old lead attempting to seduce a much older Murray Hamilton. That's just icky.
October 9, 2009
Surprisingly peppy espionage thriller from director William Castle is by no means a great film, but it's incredibly entertaining. The awkward juxtaposition of bubbly teen antics and dark intrigue and violence keep it constantly compelling in a campy kind of way. A hokey B-movie really, but Castle fans will appreciate its offbeat energy.