13 Ghosts - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

13 Ghosts Reviews

May 2, 2016
1960s-style fun as a normal family (back then people really believed there was such a thing, a normal family, maybe in Kansas somewhere, or maybe L.A.!) moves into a haunted house armed with only a pair of special glasses with which you can see ghosts! Yeah, so hokey it's cool. But back when I was a wee youngun I was sufficiently terrorized too.
April 14, 2016
13 Ghosts has the problem of being the sibling of House on Haunted Hill and The Tingler, the former being a stone cold classic with a wicked sense of humor, the latter being a Vincent Price tour de force that is far more fun than it has any right to be. That said, there's plenty of good to be found in 13 Ghosts including a winking performance by Margaret Hamilton (The Wizard of Oz), and some neat ghost effects. 3 stars
½ June 13, 2015
Cool 3-D effects I thought when I first saw it. Scary stuff, but of course I was 9 at the time! My sis took me there and I wouldn't wanna go to the toilet halfway thru the film so... I peed on the floor... hahaha
April 5, 2015
A family moved into a house from inheritance, soon they learnt the house was haunted. However the ghosts are the least of their worry, someone is plotting something more sinister.

More hilarious than scary, the acting was infuriating and the imagery were dreadfully amateurish. 13 Ghosts relied on cinematic gimmicks with no real substance.
½ November 23, 2014
November 1, 2014
I think I laughed more than I was scared. At least director William Castle knows how to entertain the audience. Good sound design and music. Definitely a movie that only worked for its time period, and nothing else.

Grade: B
½ November 1, 2014
William Castle's 13 Ghosts(1960) is a good-looking haunted house movie, with some effective imagery, but it falters just as most of today's movies falter: too much emphasis on effects and not enough on characters. After losing all their furniture due to excessive debt, the Zorba family suddenly inherits a creepy mansion, populated by the 13 ghosts that late uncle Plato Zorba collected and studied. The gimmick here was "Illusion-O," a special viewer with red and blue panels. The red panel allowed the ghosts to be seen on screen and the blue panel made them disappear. On the DVD, customers can look at the screen without the viewer and see both the red ghosts and the blue backgrounds. (Otherwise, the film is in black-and-white.) The ghosts actually have very little to do with the ultimate goal: to find Uncle Plato's hidden stash of money. Moreover, it seems that Castle had a difficult time balancing some potential humor with the scares, and it comes off as a bit of a misfire.
September 9, 2014
The original Ill see...the remake was horrid
jjnxn
June 15, 2014
More funny than scary but for fans of old API films this one has a certain campy charm.
June 13, 2014
This is like the original Paranormal Activities. If nothing else, there are a few important lessons on etiquette as well as house purchases that arise for me from this flick: first, don't teach your kids to play Ouija board or attend seances. Especially when house decorations fly. Second, don't let your kids call your family friend a witch when he sees her (even if she did appear as the Wicked Witch of the West in Wizard of Oz)--it's just not nice. Oh and by the way, when floating heads, ethereal lions, burning skeletons, executioners, moaning voices, violent apparitions causing kitchen damage, walking dead, thrown meat cleavers and drastic changes in temperature occur in your room, THEN IT IS TIME TO CALL GHOSTBUSTERS OR MOVE OUT RIGHT AWAY, not sleep there! I don't care what kind of curb appeal or hidden treasure they suggest. I'd like to see one of those house restoration TV shows transform and flip this doozy! Kidding aside, this is a cheesy fun, family friendly, gimmick laden haunted mansion romp that is a requirement for Friday the 13th each year. And remember, if some occultist named Zorba previously owned the mansion, run away. Keep an eye out for child actor Charles Herbert who appeared in many classic horror flicks as well as Martin Milner of 70s TV show Adam 12 fame.
½ May 21, 2014
A hugely enjoyable William Castle horror classic--Still fun and scary even fifty years later!!
March 2, 2014
u either love this or hate it-i'm the later
February 28, 2014
Wasn't my favorite William Castle picture but still innovative.
January 23, 2014
Old But Interesting....
October 25, 2013
Good luck trying to find this fun movie with the Illusiono effect intact.
Even the trailer shown here has had the tinting removed!
Why do studios think they know something that the director didn't?
This is a fun silly movie that would be terrific for a party if it could be shown as intended.
As it is most of the fun has been taken out leaving a mere "skeleton" of the production.
So Sony pictures think they're a better director than William Castle? They must be delirious!
Reply Like Follow Post 2 seconds ago
September 7, 2013
Seen the remake, want to see the original!
June 27, 2013
Scary... But awesome
June 24, 2013
I dunno, it could be ok?
½ May 30, 2013
Haven't seen it in years, but I remember being creeped out by it as a kid.
May 25, 2013
Not bad, I like it better than the remake (surprise, surprise)