1612: Chroniki smutnogo vremeni Reviews

• May 28, 2013

russian braveheart is entertaining and informational. since i do not speak russian or have any previous knowledge on their history, the begining of this movie was pretty confusing to me. they through lots of information and storyline at you and I got a little confused but as the movie progresses, lots of light is shed on the more shady areas. by the end i was more than satisfied in the areas of plot, action, effects, acting....yeah pretty much every aspect. this movie will probably unfortunatly be overlooked by way too many people for it is definatly epic to say the least.

• May 13, 2012

• Panta O Super Reviewer
    Apr 19, 2012

Maybe the best translation of the title should be "1612. Chronicles of the Troubled Time" and that it was... that year was in Russian history nothing but trouble! But, this is not a historical epic, even if it's trying to be, because many facts are simply twisted... We got as a result very entertaining action-adventure fantasy from Russia. I think that Vladimir Hotinenko (or Khotinenko if you want) is following the old fashioned way of story telling where a serf rises to a superhero and at the end "the justice wins"... even the movie itself is made in the old-fashioned style of the Russian movies with some amazing action scenes and superbly staged battles. If you're familiar with the Russian film you'll know that the main character is played by one of the most popular actors - Pyotr Kislov. The story of a young man who is trying to fight a Polish warlord who wants to marry the kidnapped daughter of Boris Godunov and making himself master of Russia is going to keep you glued to the screen most of the time during the 2 h 27 min you'll spend watching it. You could enjoy especially the "bad guy", Poland's #1 leading man, Michal Zebrowski, who has headlined some impressive action films in his career. If you believe in unicorns, like the old fashioned historical epics and you're not too "picky" regarding the actual historical facts - there is a movie for you! Enjoyment guaranteed!

• Mar 19, 2012

• Nov 19, 2011

Big disappointment. I just couldn't get into it. Even the battles lacked tension. Who's side are we suppose to be on? Hated the quick camera work, as in flashes, and the huge jumps in years at the beginning. Pointless.

• Jun 27, 2011

I've always had the feeling that Russian cinematic storytelling overuses symbolic allusions, and 1612 is no exception. However, there are enough entertaining action sequences and character development to keep the esoteric at bay and bring history to life.

• Apr 12, 2011

an epic story, about russian emperor, in time beforwe Romanov 's come to tron It's very good lession from Russian history, in hard times for Russia when they were under attack's of Poland and under fake rulers.. it's very nice movie, two and half hour of good and exciting moments of Russia....

• Feb 07, 2011

Peut-être les ecoliers russes maitrisent-ils sur le bout des doigts la periode dite du "Temps des troubles" (1598-1613) de l'histoire de leur pays ? Personnellement, j'avoue ne pas y connaitre grand chose, excepte que tout le monde s'est entretue pendant 15 ans pour devenir Tsar de toutes les Russie. Et ce n'est pas franchement cet abstract très romance qui m'aidera à pallier mon inculture. Commandiee par le Kremlin lui-même, cette imposante epopee costumee est, comme bien souvent avec les fresques historiques russes et chinoises, un appel du pied au patriotisme et à l'orgueil national, les elements exterieurs - ici, le catholicisme et les Polonais - etant perçus comme des corps etranges à eradiquer au plus vite. Une fois admise cette specificite, pas vraiment derangeante une fois le contexte culturel bien compris, "1612" est un produit luxueux, qui recycle sans complexes toutes les ficelles hollywoodiennes du film en costume d'epoque. Irreprochable techniquement, "1612" deçoit ainsi un peu sur le fond, dont le côte très calcule et agence de manière à toucher le plus large public possible, grève un peu le souffle epique pourtant vital à la reussite d'un tel projet. Encore quelques efforts et les Russes parviendront à donner le change tout autant que les Americains !

• Feb 02, 2011

An impressive and passionately made film, filled to the brim with Russian history and fairytale. Technically it's very historically accurate (or so I'm told) while the story is embroidered with legend and almost fantasy. The long tale feels somewhat confused at times but is weighed up by a truly beautiful and well-made production throughout.

• Jan 12, 2011

I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. Costumes and settings were amazing. The action was relentless and well done. However I could have done with less mysticism/unicorns and more fighting. I especially was disappointed in the build up to the battle of Moscow and then them cutting away right as it happened. That ticked me off, but other than that it was pretty enjoyable. Doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense, but it was pretty good. Check it out if you like the genre and are looking for something different.