16 To Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

16 To Life Reviews

August 17, 2014
It was pretty stupid.
½ November 21, 2013
A somewhat lame attempt at reprising Mystic Pizza...without the great script or talent.
August 15, 2013
There is little going on, and though the characters seem to have personality and plenty of story behind them, they don't flaunt it in this film. If this movie were a book, I'd read it, because I'm sure each character has incredible thoughts and adventures within this 18-hr plot.
August 11, 2013
i really enjoy these light comedies. it was sweet and the stun gun scene really made me laugh.
June 24, 2013
The ending is what killed it for me
½ July 3, 2012
It's so cool to see a movie that's about women and their lives. Acting is excellent throughout, the script is witty, and the whole movie is deeply fulfilling. Kate is a great character, a teenage girl who goes about freeing herself from her small-town constraints.

It's not just about the teenagers, though, because the adults also get to grow and learn. In fact it's the relationship between Kate and Louise that is the heart of the film, one young girl wanting to stretch herself, and her older friend who remembers her own youth as she watches Kate grow and have new experiences.
½ November 5, 2011
This movie seemed promising at the beginning. Kate (the main character) was relateable but it soon turned into a typical hormonal teenage film where all they worry about is sex and getting kissed.
September 17, 2011
Very cute, a movie about a teenage girl, however it is much more mature than most teen movies.
September 11, 2011
Considering how the movie took place over a day, specifically the heroine, Kate's birthday, it was really entertaining. I didn't know what to expect, but I hadn't expected a sweet story about a girl dealing with her nonexistent lovelife, her friends, and her job.
½ September 1, 2011
Meh, didn't hold my interest too well.
March 1, 2011
If you like your coming-of-age tales in the vein of "Sixteen Candles" then Becky Smith's "16 to Life" is a film right up your well-worn alley.
February 5, 2011
Thank you to all of our friends and fans for your support of "16 to Life"!
December 23, 2010
Fantastic movie- quirky, cute, and real. Although at times it moves slowly, the pace somehow fits the story. The characters are true; awkward, prone to jealousy, nervous, and lovesick. The setting is perfect. Overall a great pic for any teenage girl, but also any woman who remembers the struggles of growing up.
October 10, 2010
I drove over three hours to another state just to see this fantastic movie at the Landlocked Film Festival. It was well worth my time and the road trip to see it. I recommend that everyone should see it if and when they get the chance!
October 7, 2010
Each character was well defined immediatly, and not just because of the name tags. The characters each had specific and individual independent personalities that were easy to relate to. There were some twists in the movie that were unexpected, and this gave "16 To Life" that highlighted adventure of a teenage viewpoint. The 'seasonings' within the movie left movie goers still thinking about the moive long after they had left the theatre. Hirsh's character was a strong willed teenager that parents would love to have as a daughter and average ego teens would want to have as a friend. Most people can only speculate what a teenager could or is thinking. I believe Becky Smith truly put herself into this movie, digging into the complicated minds of the Iowa teenager. The music was upbeat and fitting to each scene and mood of the movie. All meshed well together! Kudos to you Becky and to your cast.
October 6, 2010
Loved it! Lots of laughs! Great to see...especially with your girlfriends! Hirsh is so engaging and comfortable in this role!
September 25, 2010
nice to watch newcomers !!!!!!!!!!
½ September 21, 2010
A funny, heartwarming, Capraesque film about BFF's Kate and Darby, who flirt, fight, and sling hamburgers at a local shop but yearn for more. Kate, the sensitive bookworm, is shocked to discover that sexy teen goddess Darby is going to have sex with her bf at the end of their shift. The writing by writer-director-producer Becky Smith (Queer Eye For the Straight Guy) is sharp, bittersweet, and brilliant. Hilarious, poignant performances abound from Hallee Hirsh (Kate), Mandy Musgrave (Darby) and sultry shop owner Theresa Russell. Supporting cast provides stand-out comic moments from Shiloh Fernandez as the whimsical gay cook, and Emily Foxler as the accident-prone, Julie Newmar lookalike. The McGregor, Iowa riverside locale is stunning. Support indie film-making. Go see it!
½ September 14, 2010
The characters and actions meld into a funny, off-beat tale of an idealistic girl waiting to be kissed. The surrounding characters enrich the story set against the beautiful bluffs of the Mississippi River. Intelligent dialogue, solid acting and unexpected story lines are hallmarks of this much-better-than-average movie about teens in the mid-west. And you don't want to miss the cameo by Carlson Kressley clogging for the Lord!
September 12, 2010
Funny film...a little quirky, and a whole lot heartwarming, this Indy film has spectacular photography and is best seen on the large screen. While the movie is mainly around teenagers, the real life situations will evoke emotions in all ages. It is in limited release, so if it is showing near you, go quickly. Rave theaters has it on a limited number of screens in the Midwest.