Stephen King's The Shining (MINI-SERIES) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stephen King's The Shining (MINI-SERIES) Reviews

½ February 18, 2014
So poorly made that it's really only interesting as a contrast/companion piece to Kubrick's film.
½ July 28, 2013
Lengthy, but enjoyable. While the third part is the one everyone is waiting for, the rest of the mini-series isn't bad. While it doesn't compare to the Kubrick Film, nor does it have any of the elements that made that film memorable, it's still a good representation of the original book, and in a way, more faithful.
½ May 8, 2013
An interesting made for TV series.
April 19, 2013
This mini series was the result of Stephen King's bitchy pissy attitude about the original Stanley Kubrick Masterpiece. He was mainly pissed off that jack torance was played the way he was by Jack Nicholson, and the fact that he had an axe instead of a croquet mallet. He also didn't like the fact that they didnt put a hedge monster scene in the original. I remember vividly when this came out and reading and hearing him complain about Kubrick's version, so he thought he could make it better. Well the reality of it is....this movie is a piss poor mini series and would have been a bigger joke as a feature film. If you thought the little kid was annoying at all in the original the little kid in the 97 remake will make you want to get your tubes tied or your balls chopped off, in hopes of never having a kid this fucking annoying. The next big problem with this movie is the fact that its not scary...at all. Stephen Webber from the 90s airport comedy show "Wings" plays Jack Torrance here and Rebecca De Mornay plays Wendy. Both can't act their way out of a paper bag but yet their the leads in this? Seriously? The only decent thing I will give this is the creepy old hag in the bathtub.She looked pretty decent with the make up job they did, but its no replacement for the outright creepy skin crawling original old lady. The hedge monsters look totally retarded in this and this was 1996 or 97 CGI so that should tell you the quality of them, and that was one of King's biggest gripes. All in all, if you hate the original Shinning and bitch about it not being like the book then this totally watered down tv version is for you.
½ April 12, 2013
This miniseries based on Stephen King's book "The Shining" was apparently made because the author wasn't happy with the Stanley Kubrick version of the film. Whether or not he is ultimately happy with this miniseries though is another story. Sure it follows more closely the book, with more details, more explanations of what's going on, more time spent with the characters but this makes it way too long and the payoff you get at the end really doesn't feel like it was worth the time invested.

Everything about this miniseries screams "made for TV". The acting is often wooden (particularly from the kid), the special effects are pretty good when it comes to the practical stuff but the computer effects are incredibly dated. They really look like graphics from an early 3D video game inserted into a movie and there are several shots that linger on them so you get to see everything about them that doesn't work. The makeup that's used for the ghosts isn't very convincing at all either. They're supposed to look like rotting corpses but there clearly wasn't the budget for those kinds of effects so they just look like people with a pale complexion and circles under their eyes. On top of that, the first couple of times you see them clearly is at a costume party, at first you'll wonder if it's just people with Halloween makeup or if you're supposed to be creeped out. There are a lot of ideas that work conceptually and on paper would seem great (Especially if you were reading it alone in your bedroom late at night) but seeing the words "RED RUM" written on a wall and then rearrange themselves for a big reveal just doesn't work. The whole thing just seems like a really weird choice for a miniseries, there are so many things that would play out well if they were expanded upon with internal dialogue or subtle performances but instead you get long scenes with characters spitting out exposition back and forth and it just gets dull.

The ending of the story really drags. When the terror plot concludes, there are two points where the movie could have clearly ended to a somewhat satisfying ending but it just keeps on going and because this has already been a long story, you start getting frustrated and just want it to wrap up. Worst of all, the series isn't very scary. If you're a huge fan of Stephen King you're going to watch this anyway so sure, it's worth checking out but there are much better ghost stories to see out there and with the running time it would take you to see all of this you would be able to see two or three of them by the time you'd be done with this one. (March 2013)
February 23, 2013
Marty got this for me and made me watch it lol I like it, it really did scare me lol... The twins scare him lol thats to funny.
February 11, 2013
I adore a awesome thiller though the remake could not compare to the original with Jack Nicholson.
January 22, 2013
Steven Weber should have simply said no to this remake of a movie based on a book.
½ January 22, 2013
The mini-series gets things right. Not as artsy or scary as the Kubrick version, but a much better character driven story.
January 17, 2013
I like the Jack Nicholson one better. This dude wasn't nearly as convincing as a psycho.
½ January 4, 2013
Although very faithful to the book, it feels cheap and uninspired. But I've never been a big fan of Mick Garris's direction. It's not terrible though.
December 14, 2012
This movie would've been 100 times better if they had casted a different child for Danny! His acting is just ridiculously awful. But this mini-series is not terrible... it just doesn't stand up to Stanley Kubrick's version of The Shining in terms of cinematography. This version is almost a scene for scene take on the book, while Stanley Kubrick took it and made it completely his own. I don't dislike this movie as an adaptation... I just dislike it as a movie itself...
December 10, 2012
more like the book, so i like it better
November 10, 2012
I like the Jack Nicolson version, but I've heard interesting things about this one
November 2, 2012
The made for TV version wasnt nearly as good as the original.
October 31, 2012
This remake is much more faithful than the original was, and thus, much better despite no Jack Nicholson.
½ October 31, 2012
The Shining of Stanley Kubrick 1980 is much better a masterpiece movie , The funny part of The Shining 2003 when the bushes starts to walk and does Nothing in the movie.
October 28, 2012
I hope it's closer to the novel than the 1980 version
October 19, 2012
this is way better than the one with jack nicholson