180 South - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

180 South Reviews

Page 1 of 5
½ January 11, 2017
Yvon Chouinard: Fear of the unknown is the greatest fear of all... but we just went for it.

180º South narra la travesía de Jeff Johnson, que partió de California hasta llegar a Patagonia, Chile, recreando el viaje que Yvon Chouinard y Dough Tompkins hicieron en van. Jeff decidió hacerla en un velero. Por supuesto, que no todo podía salir perfecto. Al poco tiempo de iniciar el viaje, la vela se rompió y tuvieron que parar un par de días para repararla en Isla de Pascua. Un par de días se convirtió en semanas, en las cuales se enamoró de la Isla, y de Makohe, una isleña a la cual invita a que lo acompañe en el resto de la travesía. Al llegar a Patagonia, se reune con Chouinard y Tompkins y deciden intentar llegar a la cumbre del Cerro Corcovado.

180º South es un documental que más allá de hablar acerca del viaje, habla de la importancia de la conservación en estos lugares maravillosos. La única manera de que las personas tomen consciencia, es viajando y logren ver con sus propias ojos lo milagroso que es este lugar. Conocí Patagonia hace 2 años atrás y una parte de mí se quedó allá. Al hablar con las personas nativas, todas tienen una visión única en la cual expresan la filosofía de que somos uno con la naturaleza, y al vivir en ciudades lo hemos olvidado, y ni nos damos cuenta del daño que causamos constantemente. A mayor escala está la avaricia de las corporaciones que son capaces de cualquier cosa por el dinero, y de cierta forma nosotros somos complices. Si no creamos un nuevo sistema que se base en otros valores, estos lugares van a desaparecer, y el cambio empieza creando consciencia, y esto es lo que logra este documental.

Como bonus, muestra a Tompkins hablando de su trabajo de conservación en Patagonia, que es son duda el mayor esfuerzo hecho jamás por una persona, para que estas tierras queden intactas para las próximas generaciones. Notable.
January 31, 2016
This is my favorite movie. Every time I watch it I just get filled with inspiration, motivation and wonder. It makes me think about what is possible, no matter how impossible it seems. The people in this movie are incredible, looking for adventure and social justice. I often find myself telling every person I meet about this movie. Because most conversation end up leading to "what should I watch on Netflix?" The first answer is always "180 Degrees South."
January 11, 2016
In 180 Degrees South, Jeff Johnson retraces the footsteps of Yvon Chouinard (founder of Patagonia) and Doug Tompkins (founder of North Face) 1968 trek into Patagonia. Along the way Jeff surfs big waves, encounters some rough waters off the coast of easter island and attempts to climb Cerro Corcovado.

The movie definitely has some appeal if not just for the time spent with Yvon and Doug but on the whole it's a bit slow.
September 30, 2015
Even though it's about 30 minutes too long 180 Degrees South is a wonderful documentary. Boasting wonderful story telling and fantastic music, the first hour or so of the movie keeps the viewer captivated. Sadly, the lack of direction towards the end leads the viewer to boredom as well as some of the piss poor theology of the world. Regardless, 180 Degrees South is still an entertaining watch, and you cant beat the fact that the creators of Patagonia and North Face tag along for parts of the adventure.
March 16, 2015
Adventurous & Responsible....this documentary presents some very important reflections about our duties to preserve the natural land God has given us....but in the end it seems to focus more on being dreamy & poetic than finding solutions to the issues. Still a very solid and well filmed 3 Star Documentary !
January 1, 2015
Super cool documentary. Mountaineering, surfing, and reflexions on the preservation of the environment.
½ December 22, 2014
appreciate the adventures other take so that you don't have to...
November 13, 2014
Amazing! Great story, very inspiring, a must see! I would definitely recommend watching this film.
½ November 9, 2014
one of the best adventure documentaries I've seen..
½ August 28, 2014
Ultra cool documentary
July 30, 2014
Inspiring travel documentary with an awesome soundtrack including Ugly Casanova that captures the feel of the trip.
April 1, 2014
Nicely done. Beautiful landscape, great people, nice story
January 4, 2014
180 South is just more fuel for the fire that is my wanderlust-it is an inspiring movie about both adventure and conservation that strikes a perfect equilibrium between the two.
½ November 29, 2013
An artful presentation of a unique "tribe's" journey and their grounded reality views regarding our shared human journey taking place on our Mother Earth Thank you to all the players. Hopefully more people will "get it" than not.
August 9, 2013
Well the storytelling struggles throughout, 180 South is well worth the watch. The cinematography, combined with an excellent taste in music, leaves you absolutely inspired to travel the world yourself.
May 20, 2013
This movie follows a trip to Patagonia recreating a legendary trip by the founders of Patagonia/Black Diamond and The North Face who were just regular outdoor enthusiasts just like me. Very inspiring anyone who likes the outdoors!
February 12, 2013
Wow. This has everything an unsettled 20-something can ask for. Adventure, hiking, climbing, surfing, hippie liberal conservationist propaganda, and a siiiick soundtrack. Make sure its on a high definition monitor because the cinematography is fantastic.
January 20, 2013
A great story about the drive to follow one's passion and humanities need to care for our planet and pristine lands.
Beautiful people and breathtaking vistas.
January 19, 2013
This story defines adventure.
January 6, 2013
From a technical stand point this film was excellent. Great shots and great use of music. While I am a lover of the outdoors and am all for saving the environment, I found this film a bit too preachy and I found Yvon and others to be quite pretentious. If they just stayed focused on the journey to Corcovado, this could have been a 5 star movie.
Page 1 of 5