180 South - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

180 South Reviews

January 31, 2016
This is my favorite movie. Every time I watch it I just get filled with inspiration, motivation and wonder. It makes me think about what is possible, no matter how impossible it seems. The people in this movie are incredible, looking for adventure and social justice. I often find myself telling every person I meet about this movie. Because most conversation end up leading to "what should I watch on Netflix?" The first answer is always "180 Degrees South."
January 11, 2016
In 180 Degrees South, Jeff Johnson retraces the footsteps of Yvon Chouinard (founder of Patagonia) and Doug Tompkins (founder of North Face) 1968 trek into Patagonia. Along the way Jeff surfs big waves, encounters some rough waters off the coast of easter island and attempts to climb Cerro Corcovado.

The movie definitely has some appeal if not just for the time spent with Yvon and Doug but on the whole it's a bit slow.
September 30, 2015
Even though it's about 30 minutes too long 180 Degrees South is a wonderful documentary. Boasting wonderful story telling and fantastic music, the first hour or so of the movie keeps the viewer captivated. Sadly, the lack of direction towards the end leads the viewer to boredom as well as some of the piss poor theology of the world. Regardless, 180 Degrees South is still an entertaining watch, and you cant beat the fact that the creators of Patagonia and North Face tag along for parts of the adventure.
March 16, 2015
Adventurous & Responsible....this documentary presents some very important reflections about our duties to preserve the natural land God has given us....but in the end it seems to focus more on being dreamy & poetic than finding solutions to the issues. Still a very solid and well filmed 3 Star Documentary !
January 1, 2015
Super cool documentary. Mountaineering, surfing, and reflexions on the preservation of the environment.
½ December 22, 2014
appreciate the adventures other take so that you don't have to...
November 13, 2014
Amazing! Great story, very inspiring, a must see! I would definitely recommend watching this film.
½ November 9, 2014
one of the best adventure documentaries I've seen..
½ August 28, 2014
Ultra cool documentary
July 30, 2014
Inspiring travel documentary with an awesome soundtrack including Ugly Casanova that captures the feel of the trip.
April 1, 2014
Nicely done. Beautiful landscape, great people, nice story
January 4, 2014
180 South is just more fuel for the fire that is my wanderlust-it is an inspiring movie about both adventure and conservation that strikes a perfect equilibrium between the two.
½ November 29, 2013
An artful presentation of a unique "tribe's" journey and their grounded reality views regarding our shared human journey taking place on our Mother Earth Thank you to all the players. Hopefully more people will "get it" than not.
August 9, 2013
Well the storytelling struggles throughout, 180 South is well worth the watch. The cinematography, combined with an excellent taste in music, leaves you absolutely inspired to travel the world yourself.
May 20, 2013
This movie follows a trip to Patagonia recreating a legendary trip by the founders of Patagonia/Black Diamond and The North Face who were just regular outdoor enthusiasts just like me. Very inspiring anyone who likes the outdoors!
February 12, 2013
Wow. This has everything an unsettled 20-something can ask for. Adventure, hiking, climbing, surfing, hippie liberal conservationist propaganda, and a siiiick soundtrack. Make sure its on a high definition monitor because the cinematography is fantastic.
January 20, 2013
A great story about the drive to follow one's passion and humanities need to care for our planet and pristine lands.
Beautiful people and breathtaking vistas.
January 19, 2013
This story defines adventure.
January 6, 2013
From a technical stand point this film was excellent. Great shots and great use of music. While I am a lover of the outdoors and am all for saving the environment, I found this film a bit too preachy and I found Yvon and others to be quite pretentious. If they just stayed focused on the journey to Corcovado, this could have been a 5 star movie.
November 26, 2012
I cannot heap enough criticism on this movie to satisfy the contempt I have for it. I don't think I've ever disliked a film this much in my reasonably extensive film viewing history.
-SPOILERS-
The story:

From the yacht trip (the owner of the vessel is 'returning to his home' in Patagonia) to picking up the native girl on Easter Island, to the various scruffy wanderers that they collect on the way, the story is contrived and painfully scripted. If this was a Hollywood fiction, people would reject the story as ridiculously forced and simplistic, fitting within the writers vary basic understanding of exposition. It seems that this lies somewhere between that and a documentary, to the total detriment of the film. This film stinks of having a script that the filmmakers set out to follow: a wanderer gives up everything, takes a boat trip to meet some 'old friends' in south america, gets sidetracked, meets a beautiful native girl, and climbs an insanely difficult mountain with little experience. Unfortunately for the film makers reality is harsh, and the scripted nature of the film comes through when the plot frays at the edges: the mysterious friends don't show up on time, they can't make the summit, etc. Literally ever part of this film seems forced, and should have been a red flag to scrap the project from the start.

The Billionaires and their Kipling-esq goal of 'saving these savages':

The idiocy and outdatedness of their perspective on how to save the native peoples from themselves and from the big, bad, western world is so painful and aggravating that I can barely write this without just swearing, pounding the keyboard and giving up. The storyline of this film is punctuated with interviews with rich white people on how this country needs to be saved from development, with ridiculous mullings of their duties as good Buddhists to 'end the suffering'. Unfortuantely, the only time they actually ask any of the people who's country it is (native gouchos who used to ranch on the bought-up land) how they feel about these strange rich people's attempts at saving them, the response seems forced and almost under duress. These people and their goals are arcane, and reek of an 19th/early 20th century motivation to civilize these barbarians, that the white man knows better, and is here to save the day.

On second thought, I recommend seeing this film, to experience the worst 'documentary' ever to be taken seriously.

Edit: The lack of cohesion in my post stems from my boiling anger over how bad this film was. Sorry folks.