Lonesome Dove - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lonesome Dove Reviews

April 20, 2013
The best mini-series I have seen and definitely my favorite western.
½ December 20, 2012
Fantastic! Follows the book very well...top-notch acting and cinematography -- definitely recommend this one.
April 17, 2012
this was such a great t mini series! i love rubert duvall in this, he played such a great chracter, and, tommy le jones was just as good. i cried like a baby at the end though.
October 12, 2011
not interested at all ....
February 5, 2011
great for watching on those long winter nights
½ October 12, 2010
Yes its a western. Yes its over 4 hours long. But dagnabbit, this is one of the best movies ever made. Duvall and Jones give defining performances in this emotional epic that proves that westerns are not all cliche' gunfights and black hats. This movie delivers in more ways than one. Even after 4 hours you will be left wiping a tear and begging for more.
September 7, 2010
Best Western Ever!!!
January 6, 2010
One of the greatest westerns ever.
December 31, 2009
I'm not ordinarily a big fan of Westerns, and frankly I picked up the book only because I saw that I shared a last name with one of the main characters--something that doesn't often happen to me. The book has enormous scope and so does this movie.

It's incredibly faithful to the book because the script came first; when McMurtry couldn't sell the script, he turned it into a book, then it was optioned as a TV movie. So it's the book that's faithful to the movie, not the other way around.

Lonesome Dove is a small town in Texas that's the beginning and endpoint of a story that covers several months and thousands of miles. Life is precious because it's so easily lost. Gus McCrae (Robert Duvall) and Woodrow Call (Tommy Lee Jones), who have been friends since they were Texas Rangers many years ago, decide to embark on one last big adventure before it's too late for either of them. On the way they make new friends and reconnect with old friends--and enemies.

At first, the fact that characters keep bumping into each other feels like easy coincidence until you realize that there just weren't that many people in the West at that time and it was a more of a "small world" then.

It's a long movie--it was originally a miniseries, after all--but you'll quickly get so invested in it that there will be several points in this story where you'll be hard-pressed to get through without a lump in your throat. Every once in awhile my wife and I will clear a weekend day, shut off the phones and immerse ourselves in the world of Lonesome Dove.
½ December 22, 2009
Great epic, just being shown on Sky in 4 parts
September 16, 2009
A new favorite. Thank you, Langston.
August 12, 2009
Was a good movie for the "Made For TV" genre!
May 27, 2009
This may be the greatest movie/mini series of all time!
½ April 22, 2009
Well done, very entertaining, held my attention, great acting! What a cast!
½ April 18, 2009
si te gustan los western tienes que verla
April 10, 2009
One of the best westerns i`ve ever seen since once upon a time in the west.
Duvall and Jones ....Topnotch acting.
March 9, 2009
Certianly ranks among the absolute best for "made for TV" epics. It is one of my Top Ten westerns of all-time.
March 2, 2009
The best western ever made.
February 26, 2009
Hands down Duvall and Jones' best picture.
½ February 26, 2009
I live in Texas and "know" the character Robert Duvall used for his inspiration for this man. [Joking, but, hey, he talks JUST that way!] You come to love these rascally old Rangers.