1911 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

1911 Reviews

November 25, 2012
Boring, Long, Confusing, complicated movie of all time!!
½ November 3, 2012
A boring film about a boring war. Jackie Chan needs to stick to Rush Hour.
October 14, 2012
Bon film sur la révolution chinoise contre le dernier empereur.
September 12, 2012
Look I love a good foreign epic regardless of nationality or event. The problem I had with this movie was that it just wasn't good at all! The good way to tell a story is by having a good story teller and the movie suffered from, not having a good way of telling the story. The editing was just terrible, and half the times scenes just kept getting cut in half! Whenever something interesting is happening, the scene gets chopped by other scenes, and before you know it the film moves on! Also half the time i didn't even know what the hell was going on! Don't call me stupid! Its just the filmmakers should explain whats going on by good pacing, and good writing. We get none of that here! Take Tae Guk Gi for example. It is a Korean-made war film about the Korean War. Though a lot of people don't know about what happened during the war, the filmmakers did a solid job with pacing and good writing that the story of the brothers in the war, was enough to have people, especially foreigners follow the movie without feeling lost! Not one time was I lost and it was an Epic film. I feel that the project was way to much for Jackie Chan to handle. Please don't watch this, even if you know about the 1911 revolution you will still be disappointed!
½ September 12, 2012
Intà (C)ressant sur le fond mais il vaut sûrement mieux lire un livre d'histoire. La scène la plus artificielle de tous les temps inclue dans le film pour que, tout de même, Jackie Chan puisse avoir sa petite sà (C)quence Kung-fu. Moins une demi à (C)toile pour le rôle hyper mal jouà (C) du "stratège militaire US"
½ September 5, 2012
So I guess not everyone's on board with this film. That's ok. Jackie Chan's 100th film may be more of a history textbook than a movie but, that being the case, it was a damn good history lesson. Periodically paragraphs of text will display setting the stage for the next conflict between the Qing Dynasty and the revolution. I believe this is done so 1911 isn't a 4 or 5 hour snoozefest. It tells us the important historical details so it can focus on the people who matter most in the conflict. I think I enjoyed this movie so much because Jackie Chan clearly was very passionate about this film. I believe that came through in the finished work. Is this the Jackie Chan we flock to the theaters for? Clearly not. But I, for one, do not want to be the kind of fan that denies him the opportunity to expand.
½ September 3, 2012
It feels like the film is trying so hard not to be a kind of propaganda, still succeeds at showing the sentiments of the historical moments in 1911.
August 29, 2012
I fell asleep the first time I watched this, roughly 30 minutes in. The second time I stayed awake, but only because I started playing on my iPhone. This movie is very artistic and historically accurate, but it is very very dull. Jackie chan is one of my favorite actors but he did not hold my attention in this film. There are too many characters, which makes it hard to keep track of people. The speeches are long and uninteresting. The movie is full of reflections by various characters but even then the characters don't feel developed. One of the most boring movies I've ever seen.
August 29, 2012
Another Jackie Chan movie...
½ August 27, 2012
It's a long drawn out and very boring movie, the sound is great and so are the visuals but the movie itself is bad. DO NOT BUY
August 7, 2012
not bad. good history but it was not just for me
½ July 15, 2012
Interesting movie. Seems more like a documentary. Jackie Chan did well.
½ June 22, 2012
Wish I had never started it our painful to watch although some decent battle scenes.
½ June 21, 2012
1.5: See the second half of my review for Tora! Tora! Tora!, which I watched just before 1911. The former is a fairly balanced picture, while the latter is about as one-sided as it gets. However, one should expect nothing less. It's no wonder that there are so many ultra-nationalists in the PRC that profess undying support for the likes of Bo Xilai. It's rather amusing that the Communists claim Sun Yat-sen as their own as well. I can easily imagine things turning south in the future, but I doubt they'll ever get as bad as the strongest hawks fear. However, I'd say it's far more likely that things will come to a head if Mitt Romney is elected President. Stubborn idiocy on both sides of the fence rarely leads to cooperation and prosperity, except as far as the military-industrial complex is concerned.
June 19, 2012
The scenes are choppy and at times historically incorrect (such as exaggerating the importance of Sun Yatsen to the revolution). But the movie captures the essence of the 1911 revolution, presenting the truly important meanings behind such a monumental moment in Chinese history. The movie does not settle on presenting the booms and bams of the revolution, but rather from the dialogues, one can learn much about what was truly important. The departure from feudalism marked endless possibilities for a nation that have endured over a century of humiliation. One trivial aspect of the movie to note is the awkwardness of all the scenes involving Western actors as well as the Jackie Chan martial arts scene that has no relevance to the larger theme of the movie.
June 18, 2012
1911 has great production value and good actors, it's just the technical part and the story of the movie that really brings it down. As a fan of Jackie Chan I have to say his 100th film brings us nothing we ever wanted from a Jackie Chan movie.
½ May 22, 2012
A movie that has alot of heart and passion that only the Chan can give
May 22, 2012
This epic telling by Jackie Chan and Zhang Li of the 1911 Chinese revolution that made way for the country's Republic era is not as successful as it would like to be, simply because it tries to cram too much into one two-hour film. The film would have been better split into two parts and then the fi...read morelms need to tell its audience what happens instead of showing it would not have seemed as egregious. However, generally good acting, particularly from Winston Chao, Chan and Chun Sun help the film immensely and the action sequences are very well-done. As a historical account of an important era in Chinese history it is quite good; as an epic war drama it is simply okay.
½ May 18, 2012
Sun yat sen memang sosok politisi yg mengagumkan
May 8, 2012
Jackie Chan speaks both Chinese and English. So why was movie dubbed in both languages with Jackie Chan speaking neither?