1941 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

1941 Reviews

May 17, 2015
Steven Spielberg should stay far away from gag-filled comedies.
May 11, 2015
I can see Spielberg wanting to get his inner-kid out and make something like a child would with a camera and a big budget but this film is truly a disaster and a mess on all ends. The story's incoherent, the special effects and action are non-stop and boring and Spielberg trying to make a comedy just really isn't funny. Pretty amazing how the tremendous amount of talent involved in this made something that failed on so many levels.
April 4, 2015
Moderately funny film that is worth the time if only for John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd's performances. What I found to be so hypocritical when I read about this film in Wikipedia, was that John Wayne refused to be in it because, as he told Spielberg, the script was "unpatriotic." Coming from Wayne, that's rich. Although he was perfectly fit, he didn't sign up, because he had just started to get bigger roles and was afraid that the pause in big career would set him back. Clark Gable, who was 6 years older, went and was a combat pilot, as did Jimmy Stewart, who was originally classified 4F for not weighing enough for his height, but he did strength training to qualify, was also a combat pilot and eventually rose to be a Brigadier General. Wayne stayed home to make his millions eventually in his career, ironically making "patriotic" movies that gave him an image to which he would never personally live up. Even more ironic is the way men in the armed forces here have always looked up to a man that they are probably unaware never had the courage to go into combat himself.
March 16, 2015
Batshit crazy, 1941 is fucking insane. I can't give it above a 3 because of how messy it is, but dear god is it a fascinating mess. Spielberg directs this bizarre farce where explosions are punchlines. Belushi is classic Belushi and Aykroyd just spouts out technical jargon instead of jokes but it all somehow works. Nearly every line in the film is screamed; scratch that; everything in the movie is screamed. The visuals are screamed, the physical comedy is screamed, etc. 1941 is by no means a great movie, but a thoroughly interesting what-the-fuck movie that I'm still not sure I was laughing with or at, but I'm gleefully leaning towards the former.
February 15, 2015
Frantic comedy with post Pearl Harbour US panicking in wake of a feared Japanese mainland US attack. Film has no real central character and everything seems to be disorganized chaos thrown together for two hours. Has to be regarded as a significant underachievement given the talent involved. The ventriloquist dummy provides as many laughs as any of the actors.
February 9, 2015
I love this movie, there are so few war comedies and it's by Spielberg! The cast is fun it's so silly and has so many homages to other movies and the era of the film it's a lot of fun to watch.
February 3, 2015
wow... no la recordaba buena, y no lo es, pero da verguenza ajena con tanta estupidez y actuacion ridicula
February 1, 2015
Aggressively unfunny.
½ January 22, 2015
'1942' is not as bad as history would lead you to believe. It's just not great for a Spielberg film.
January 13, 2015
La verdad es que se nota bastante el humor de Spilberg pero no es muy buena.
½ December 1, 2014
The dummy's right!

Shortly after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the military forces build up their defenses along the California coastline; specifically, around the Hollywood area. It quickly becomes apparent that the effort is a waste of time and resources and the recommended colonel is about to get his butt chewed up when who should appear, the Japanese in a submarine. Can the military and their band of misfits defend the Hollywood coastline?

"The little bastard aint got shit out of me but my name, rank, and social security number..."

Steven Spielberg, director of Jaws, Duel, ET, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Color Purple, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Saving Private Ryan, and Catch Me if you Can, delivers 1941. The storyline for this picture was just okay and reminded me of an Animal House knock-off. The comedic content was fairly mediocre, the script was just okay, but the cast was well put together and did okay. The cast includes John Belushi, Ned Beatty, Dan Aykroyd, Toshiro Mifune, Treat Williams, and Christopher Lee.

"You got something to be dancing about?"

I came across this on Netflix and was surprised I had never heard or seen it. The cast is awesome and it was fun to watch these characters, but the film was fairly dated and a huge step down from Animal House (similar comedic content). Overall, this is worth watching once, as there are some classic characters/actors in this film, but this has definitely not aged well.

"Invasion!"

Grade: C
½ November 30, 2014
I think I must have watched the uncut version of this as it was nearly 2 and a half hours long, Which was way too long. I think this film didn't work as it wasn't funny, despite the decent cast of comedians, and the excessive explosions and demolitions were nothing more than a waste of money for me. The whole film was chaotic, messy, and boring.
November 29, 2014
Despite the star studded cast and top notch director, this movie failed to meet all expectation of a solid comedy.
November 29, 2014
1941 is a lot funnier than it's given credit for. Unfortunately, it suffers from the classic problem of becoming far too bloated to justify its running length. The setups are all great, full of classic wry and slapstick humor, but once Spielberg actually tries to advance the plot, the jokes melt away in favor of extended scenes where not much besides zany action happens. Shaving off 30 minutes would have probably made this a much better received film.

On a side note, the special effects are quite impressive for the time.
November 22, 2014
this was pretty funny!
November 10, 2014
1941 is one of Steven Spielbergs weakest films due to the movie throwing jokes at the viewer that has a rate of 60% hit and 40% miss but its enjoyable plus a strong performance from the late John Belushi.
October 18, 2014
Thought this was so funny when I was a kid. Still has some fun parts, but it has not aged well.
October 14, 2014
Maybe the greatest and best comedy movie ever made -- if u don't laugh your socks off from this movie then you must have some massive problem in your life.
½ September 21, 2014
Not very funny. Spielberg might be great at comedic moments in dramas but his straight comedic instincts are very childish.
September 17, 2014
(15%)
What happens when you combine the writing talents of Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale (they both later penned the fantastic Back to the future movies), all-time great funny guys Dan Aykroyd, John Candy and John Belushi, and then you make out a big cheque to Steven Spielberg so he can blow the lot on the next big blockbuster? Well you get 1941, a truly awful movie. Everything is cranked up to 11 so much that it makes for a painful ordeal to watch at times, and with no main character to focus the story on (there is one in there somewhere I think) things just happen at what feels like pure random. The script is aimless, pointless, childish, crude and underdeveloped and the big set pieces just feel like a big waste of money. Belushi is hardly in the movie and was either drunk or stoned whenever he was, his part is pointless anyway, John Candy looks genuinely bored at times and he's hardly in it either. Dan Aykroyd is the only one with more than five lines, but his talent is hardly pushed to the limit, and most of the other cast members just goof around, shout, fight, dance and argue with each other, its really tiring to watch, and poor Christopher Lee probably wished he'd stuck to playing mute vampires rather than a pointless nazi part with only a few lame lines. A massive headache of a movie. Avoid at all costs.