1942: A Love Story Reviews

• Sep 28, 2016

Anil Kapoor and Manisha Koirala give superb performances in this romantic drama directed Vidhu Vinod Chopra as a young Indian couple who are both from wealthy backgrounds. But they find themselves caught up in the 1940s Indian revolutionary movement and this threatens to destroy their relationship. The two leads suit the lead roles very well and give one of the best performances of their careers, while there is very solid support to be had from Jackie Shroff in his role as Shubhankar. The direction from Chopra is very solid because he keeps a good pace going throughout, while at the same time keeping a very tense atmosphere due to what the film is about and the chemistry between the two leads is very impressive because it shows how much they love each other. The script is very well written by the director, Sanjay Leela Bhansali (who would go on to be one of the master directors of Indian Cinema) and Kamna Chandra. This swept the board at the Filmfare awards winning nine prizes - for Supporting Actor (Shroff) and for its superb set, excellent camerawork, decent editing and very good sound design. It also took home awards for its solid score from Rahul Dev Burman and for its playback singers. Kumar Sanu won the Male award for Ek Ladki Ko Dekha, which also won best lyrics, while Kavita Krishnamurhty won the Female Playback Singer award for Pyaar Hua Chuke Se. The only categories it didn't win were for Best Film, Best Director, Actor and Actress. But despite not winning in those categories, this is one very decent film to be made from Chopra and is one that I consider to be a masterpiece of Indian cinema and it may not be a classic now but I don't reckon it will be long before it is.

• Aug 08, 2010

this is the best period film in India, yeas better than lagaan and jodha akbar...! the mood, the music, the cinematography and direction is just amazing..! A gem from vifhu vinod chopra.!! and last film from R.d. burman.

• Jun 17, 2009

They managed to find themselves in love in a time of war where the love of the people was given to patriotism. It was unfortunate to see his love become an obsession that got in the way of progress, although at the end the outcome of the story was a good one, I could not help but think that a lot of lives would have been spared if he had not obsessed, but that would have been a different movie altogether lol. Great movie nonetheless. A lot of Romeo & Juliet elements in there too.

• Aug 06, 2008

Nice romantic movie....quite liked it...great songs...still ring in my ears

Nice romantic movie....quite liked it...great songs...still ring in my ears

• Mar 29, 2008

A really good one. All the perfomers at their best. Well composed subtle music. One of THE BEST.

• Mar 15, 2008

my all time favourite film

my all time favourite film

• Feb 12, 2008

NOT an average love story (as it takes place during the Indian Revolutionary Movement - but still has alllll the bollywood cheese that I adore (way over the top romance and pursuit, hair blowing in the wind, even indoors... ahhh bollywood :)

• Dec 25, 2007

romantic yet patriotict

romantic yet patriotict

• Dec 14, 2007

I am a big fan of songs of this movie

I am a big fan of songs of this movie

• Lanning : Super Reviewer
    Dec 08, 2007

Sadly, Walter, I have another one to add to our Famous list. Gave it four tries, actually, and, well, I gotta keep my netflix queue moving, yes? As you may know, Walter, I've been diving deep into Bollywood. Just have to say: <p> Be careful what you order, for you will definitely get it. <p> So, on the positive side, mahalo, netflix, for your great service, but this one is definitely not very good at all. Shoots, I let the premise of the "Quit India" movement suck me in. What a mistake.