200 Cigarettes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

200 Cigarettes Reviews

January 1, 2015
How is this movie rated so low?? I love this movie. Saw it when it originally came out in the theater and promptly had to buy it. Best movie to watch when recovering from New Year's Eve festivities!
½ December 30, 2014
From MTV Films comes the throwback comedy 200 Cigarettes. The film follows several characters on New Year's Eve 1981 as they work their way to a party in the East Village of New York City. Featuring Paul Rudd, Christina Ricci, Courtney Love, Ben Affleck, Dave Chappelle, Kate Hudson, and Jay Mohr, the cast is quite impressive. However, the performances vary, as do the character stories; with a couple of them being rather tedious and boring. Yet, there's some interesting social commentary on relationships and the struggles that young people face. Additionally, the film makes good use of the '80s aesthetic in both the costuming and the soundtrack. Partying like it's 1981, 200 Cigarettes delivers some fun times but has trouble joggling all of its characters and storylines.
February 16, 2014
best new years movie :( val and stephie make the movie/paul rudds hair
½ February 4, 2014
Another disappointing "cult classic". Some of the stories can be mildly amusing but the whole film reeks of this stale 'flavor-of-the-month' feel. There was enough money to slap a monster cast together with a plethora of 80's tunes but not enough left over to make a good script. It's supposed to take place on New Years Eve in NEW YORK yet the film has no energy and is at times almost stagnant. Some rich sound design and snappy editing would have helped.
January 15, 2014
A choral film about a bunch of people preparing to go the new year's eve party at a friend's place. It's funny, well done & quite well paced. Interesting.
January 2, 2014
Have to watch this every new years day.
December 10, 2013
Only idiots would not like this movie.
December 2, 2013
its my new years eve movie every year since it came out, not new years till I watch it....excellent flick
November 29, 2013
Great movie that really grabs the time frame they were going for well.
The big hair, clothing styles. I don't remember seeing this when it first came out, but I purchased a copy of it on VHS. I really enjoyed it.
October 8, 2013
A stupid and misguided comedy that has many funny moments but whose characters are empty and only follow the needs of a lame script - which also has no organic reason to be set in 1981 other than to be packed with 200 songs from back then.
August 6, 2013
The cast seems game for a good time. If only the screenwriters had been, too.
June 11, 2013
Classic 90s movie. Will be the cult classic your kids will watch (like Breakfast Club is for us)
½ June 9, 2013
This lame excuse of a comedy is good for seeing how some of today's most famous names looked over thirteen years ago. Other than that, it's boring, fatuous and dumb.
½ June 9, 2013
This was one of my FAVORITE movies when I was a teenager, and it is SO hard to find!!! Was it banned or something? Anyways so much going on in one night! Funny, and very entertaining. ..damn it why can't it be found on DVD!?
April 1, 2013
Scattershot crapfest.
March 9, 2013
Super lame ensemble film.
February 21, 2013
A solid cast is wasted here in a movie that really wasn't that good. This was back when Ben Affleck was still a deuchebag, Dave Chappelle was still relevant, Paul Rudd wasn't as famous, and Courtney Love still thought she could act. It's a throwback to another time (late '90s) but it's not really that great.
½ January 27, 2013
The world is a sadder, bleaker, more hopeless place because of this movie. There is absolutely nothing that redeems this film. It's not funny, the acting sucks and none of the characters are remotely likable.

America slipped down a notch in status as a world power for allowing this abomination to be made on it's shores. Even Dave Chappelle sucks in this film.

Thanks for ruining my life, producers of this monstrosity.
January 2, 2013
Hit-and-mostly-miss retro comedy.
December 7, 2012
Could be worth watching. Will find and devour with my eyes!