2020 Texas Gladiators - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

2020 Texas Gladiators Reviews

June 25, 2016
Between wondering how this got made, and wondering why there are so many piss jokes, and even perhaps what is even going on - you'll have a lot of fun.
November 27, 2013
The title says Texas but this is all Italian post-apocalyptic mayhem. Small band of road warriors battle a dictator who has overtaken a fuel refinery in the desert wasteland. The creative team here repeated this formula over a number of ROAD WARRIOR ripoffs, each seemingly more enjoyable than the last. Sabrina Siani excels again in support.
August 15, 2013
Unsavory futuristic "thriller" set in Texas, where everybody seems to have a Brooklyn accent.
October 27, 2012
One of the better Italian post-nuclear holocaust films. A small group of mercenaries team with a band of Indians to help survivors retake a Texas refinery from repressive militants. This Italian production rips off Mad Max primarily but we also get a Russian roulette scene lifted straight out of The Deerhunter. A bonus to unexpectedly find Sabrina Siani in this. I've been a fan since seeing Throne of Fire.
June 27, 2012
½ November 25, 2010
I love Asian films and I love Italian films Meany would see I don't really get into mainstreams stuff. 2020 Texas gladiators is epic and awesomely done that proves to you that this movie was the start of Italian post apocalyptic genre this was even made before mad max 2 so really it shows it as a prototype to what is to come!

The year is 2020 and the setting is post-nuclear holocaust Texas. It's a dusty, nasty world now as can be seen in the opening scenes when a gang of outlaws rape and murder innocent nuns at a mission. They then crucify the priest. Their debauched reveling is interrupted by roving rangers who engage the villains in a blood-soaked, bone crunching fight. The rangers manage to save a terrified young woman from the melee, and the heroic leader and she fall in love and head for the peaceful land she describes to him. Years pass. The hero and the girl are married and she is pregnant. Trouble erupts when a megalomaniacal Neo-Nazi dictator and his cruel minions attack the heavily fortified refinery and begin trying to convert the hapless workers to his insane idea of the New Order.

I love the story and the characters like Al clive'rs character but like all Italian films its crap and awesome at the same time. The special effects are cool lots of gun fights, explosions, all that stuff you keep you entertained. Awesome car, People, settings (despite it being forest like) is just cool. Over 50 people die in this movie.
Here are some facts i found

Was filmed in 2 months Joe D'Amato steeped in to finish after the other director left.

The ax originally cleaved Donald O'Brien's head, not his chest. However, Joe d'Amato and some others then thought that it was too rough and looked too realistic, and so they re-filmed the scene. A still from the original scene has survived.

Videocassette copies of the film (Media Home Entertainment, sub-distributed by Astral Video) released in the Canadian province of Ontario are missing approximately 3 minutes worth of violence.

Overall its recommended for any kid like me so my final verdict is see it.
November 7, 2010
Great Post-Apocalpytic Western
May 5, 2010
Would like to see this.
½ October 5, 2008
This movie is almost artistic in how difficult it is follow the plot. I'm fairly certain there is no main character- if there is I must have missed it along the way. Very much in the vein of Mad Max, this low-budget post-apocalyptic film will provide plenty of unintended laughs, though it's theme's are spot on if this is your taste in science fiction. The soundtrack may be superior to Mad Max- It is classic 80's synthscapes, something Mad Max was lacking. The ending is so unbelievable and over-the-top you may wonder if the writers had began to realize how chaotic and confusing their plot had become and decided to just give up. It's worth noting that the artwork on the package is about 20 times cooler than any special effect in this movie.
½ May 8, 2006
I've always thought of the post-apocalypse film as an '80s revival of the western. They feature essentually the same plots and same story arcs--the only major difference is that post-apocalypse films have slightly more shiny objects. Never have I been more proven right by this assumption than by [i]2020 Texas Gladiators[/i], in which the team of good-guy rebels, their makeshift town under siege, goes to get help... from a tribe of Indians.

Yes, Indians. And I can say "Indians," not "Native Americans," because this is an Italian film, so they're not American at all, and they're clearly Indians of spaghetti western films, not Native Americans who just want to open casinos. It's almost as though they had a script for a western and started changing things to make it a post-apocalypse film, then got bored and decided to just leave it. Indians. Of the future.

The end result is that the climax, with the Indians riding on horseback through the post-apoc staples of empty warehouses and deserted buildings, makes the whole thing feel like the ending to Blazing Saddles, topping off a compltely absurd, confusing, ridiculously entertaining piece of pulp nonsense with an absurd, confusing, ridiculously entertaining finale. It's a pretty amazing feat, as the film manages to get progressively goofier with each passing minute.

We open with our heroic team of five rescuing a young woman from a gang of sadistic bikers (in the future!). There's actually more people to rescue, but they get killed off, or, in the case of a nun, slice their own throat with a nearby piece of glass. It's over five minutes of pure, unbelievable violence into the film before the first line of dialogue, and a few more after that before the "good guys" finally take control. When one of the team decides to take his own chance with the surviving lady, the others outcast him, as the roving band of post-apocalyptic vigilantes have a strict moral code.

Time passes, apparently, as in the next scene, one of the team has gotten married to the woman and they now have a young girl, and the outcast bad guy now leads an evil band of bikers himself. The four remaining, er, "Texas Gladiators," I guess, (though there's no mention of either Texas or gladiators) now live in a town with a water refinery that's supposed to bring civilization back, as they're forced to drink their own urine. They apparently haven't tried hanging out at that lush green forest right near them that seems to be thriving, but by this point, you can't really be expecting the film to make much sense.

Anyway, an evil Nazi-like bald guy (Donald O'Brien, the former [i]Dr. Butcher, M.D.[/i]) orders the outcast's band of bikers to take over the town, which they do, raping the women and teenage boys, slaughtering tons of people and forcing the Gladiators into hiding after one of them is killed. They return to find the one guy's wife and child, playing russian roulette for her in a blatant Deer Hunter rip-off that manages to be stupidly entertaining anyway.

After doing some time in the salt mines, two members (Italian sleazze regular Al Cliver and TV[i] Dr. Strange[/i] Peter Hooten) are rescued by the third, who is, of course, an Asian martial artist. They band together once more to take over the town again once and for all.

While [i]2020 Texas Gladiators[/i] is blindingly stupid, it's never dull. Something it always happening or about to happen, and once the film starts, it rarely ever stops. The sole exceptions are the tedious walking scenes, common in director Joe d'Amatos fantasy pics (check out the [i]Ator[/i] series, from which you could form an entirely new film just from scenes where people wander though landscapes), which here at least serve as decent breaks to get up and grab another beer. There's none of that niggly character development or story arcs that action fans hate--this goes straight to the good stuff.

It's also so unwieldy and badly put together that you're never quite sure where it's going, so I guess you could say it's "suspenseful," as long as you don't equate "suspenseful" with "well thought out moments of tension." The acting and dubbing are typical for Italian genre fare, so lines like "Rebuilding society after a nuclear holocaust--it's complicated!" don't seem out of place.
2020 Texas Gladiators[/i] scrapes brilliance with its' nonstop assault of hastily-handled action, unbelievable "technology" (the enemy's big weapons are their shields, which have a big hole in the middle of them. For science!) and idiotic plot twists--you never know what you'll get next. Sure, it's drivel, but it's fast-paced, deliriously entertaining drivel, and that's pretty much the best you can expect from an early-'80s [i]Mad Max[/i] knock-off.