2046 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

2046 Reviews

March 22, 2014
I Don't like feels where pretentious style gets in the way of Characters and story. This is personal but Noe, Besson and Cassavettes have style that support the story not separate the audience from it just for effect. Christopher Doyle says if he walks out of a film after 10 minutes by that time he has gotten to know the filmmaker and makes his decision if he likes then or not. I agree with this, as usually I love or hate it in the first few shots, maybe I don't agree with him as a filmmaker. I thought in the mood for love was alright though
February 28, 2014
An exuberant story topped by a captivating soundtrack.
½ February 25, 2014
2046 is visually interesting but with a confusing and not as good story.
½ February 11, 2014
It's easy to get lost in a kind of trance in the romance and how well its filmed with style, but it did get dull and lost at times, but it was pretty..pretty.. good.
January 15, 2014
My Favorite Science Fiction Film Is 1968's 2001: A Space Odyssey.
December 31, 2013
Beyond anything you have ever experienced at the movies, this film is not a typical film in any ways but what a beautiful experience to watch and enjoy.....
½ November 3, 2013
Love the fantasy genre??? How about a romance instilled there? This is a killer of all. On a rainy day or ur fav pleasant day, tune into this bizzare movie with the best background score a movie can ever have that would ride you on a time machine depicting a human's quest for relating, correlating and understanding the little feelings that comes, goes or persists.
October 19, 2013
Beautiful movie, just stunning
½ October 19, 2013
Exquisite, luscious, melancholic. My only criticism: tobacco companies had obviously paid, once again, a lot to have this much smoking people everywhere.
½ August 25, 2013
Not sure what it is in his movies, but they just work on some mysterious level. Every scene a work of art? The moody soundtracks? Already a classic.
½ August 18, 2013
Sketchy but worthwhile SF arty film. I'm a huge Faye Wong fan, so for me this was a must-see.
½ July 31, 2013
Long-winded and dull. A waste of a premise better executed in other hands.
July 14, 2013
Good film, but not my taste.
June 12, 2013
Quite confusing film with a mesmerizing presentation making it mellow and smooth. Pretty and well made, but also a bit boring and repitiative. It's playing tricks with you, and it often feel more confusing than smart with it's time skipping among other features. Now is then and the past is now, cute girls, crying girls, money and cigarettes - over and over again.

Another thing here is that the actors look so alike so I can't place the different roles at all times, but that's not the films fault in a way. Anyhow, the male lead is doing another great job in this series and especially the parts with Zhang Ziyi feel very true and sensual.

A bit overrated film if you ask me. It did not hit the right spots like "ITMFL" did. I can feel the connection with the first two films, but they are not that present here. A strong production, a great score and pretty images is this films greatest parts. It includes more fiction than the previous flicks of the series, and that's cool - it even lifts it a bit, but it's not enough to make it as good and smooth as "ITMFL" - no way near it actually.I fell asleep wathing it - two days in a row actually. I skipped it back but soon i went tired again. Nothing wrong with that. Sleeping is comfy - this is a comfy film, but it's a bit long.

Probably a lot better if I watch it a couple times, but so far a big let down from "ITMFL". With that said - a very difficult film to top.

"Love is all a matter of timing. It's no good meeting the right person too soon or too late".

6 out of 10 numbers.
½ June 12, 2013
This film is a disappointing follow-up to "In the Mood for Love." While this predecessor's narrative is thin and favors its visual imagery and subtext through mis en scene, it was also very emotionally moving and heartbreaking. 2046 is a very cold movie watching experience. I felt detached most of the time, and for a sequel to "In the Mood for Love," it did not tell me anything I cared to know about chow following his doomed relationship with Su Li-Zhen. The CGI during the science fiction passages looks thin and dated by now, and those futuristic chapters feel like a separate movie. This film is very meandering and incoherent and it is just too damn long. I really wanted to love this movie, but I do not.
May 10, 2013
Add a Review (Optional)
April 18, 2013
Wong Kar-Wai is a true visionary. A wonderfully atmospheric poem that any lover of cinema should experience.
½ April 1, 2013
Just want to see it <3
½ March 1, 2013
It's more a collage of ambition that a cohesive story - but if you can view 2046 as a bizarre, sensual dream instead of a narrative, it's quite an experience.
½ February 18, 2013
Was this film about the probability of meeting the right people at the right time? Or was it about how to be suave in Singapore in the 60's?